Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 3:44 am

I love my toddle. It adds to my size. :wink: :P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 4:03 am

I see my particular case of AS as me having a slower, gentler version of the human body, but with an IQ that's average to slightly above. People think I'm ret*d by looking at me walk, but they get blown away by how well I talk.

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2007, 7:27 am

I remember my mother complaining about the way I walked as a child, but I think it was about the direction my feet were pointing at.

Ramsus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2007, 9:21 am

Ticker wrote:
Has anyone tried to walk Native American style? I've tried but its hard to learn, at least for me. Traditional Natives touch the ground with the ball of the foot first and never quite let their heel strike.

On my father's side I'm Native American. Cherokee, more precisely. I know the walk, although most people generally perform it wrong. The reason for using the ball is to slowly work it back and forth before you set your foot down. This effectively sweeps away leaves/twigs before you crunch them by taking the next step. It also allows you to slowly exert your weight from the rear leg to the front, rather than all at once.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 9:34 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I see my particular case of AS as me having a slower, gentler version of the human body, but with an IQ that's average to slightly above. People think I'm ret*d by looking at me walk, but they get blown away by how well I talk.
Alright! :D

When my older son (diagnosed with autism) was about four, my wife brought him to my workplace for some reason. My very nice secretary said, with a warm laugh, "He has your walk!"

I don't mind at all.

In addition to the "jump, jump, jump," it's been pointed out to me that I swing my arms funny. My left arm doesn't swing much.

I also have wretched, indecipherable handwriting. However, I have written millions of dollars in grants for my college. Thank goodness for computers.

Keep on impressing them with your talk.