why do people say socially awkward people are annoying?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

Some people find awkwardness confusing.

Some want to feel like they're better than others.

Some socially awkward people can cross boundaries.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 11:26 pm

They can't usually figure us out. It's like someone struggling to play charades. Our society is built around social cues and we always miss them or fail to produce them, and other people get angry because they think we're lazy or flakes or something. I used to get insulted all the time and one day I realized it was because I was talking funny. I changed that by working on developing new speech habits and a good 40% of the criticism I was getting disappeared. I'm now trying to show more control over myself so people will be less likely to try and push me over (verbally).

Or they are one of the small 4-5% of people who have empathy deficits and just want to target the "weakest", even though we're not really weaker than others in all areas, we're just vulnerable in one. They get a kick out of manipulation and harm, so they'll target us because they feel the need to dominate and enjoy power games. Avoid these people if you can spot them.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 9:46 am

I've had some people tell me I'm annoying when I obsess over small things and get anxious or when I can't stop talking about my special interests. However, others have told me that I'm adorable and that my awkwardness is cute...I don't get it really.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 9:48 am

There is such thing as "cute awkward.'

In a Adam Sandler movie (I forgot which one), there was a woman who was "cutely awkward" who was the love interest of Adam Sandler.

She was really sexy....but she was awkward and clumsy.

I don't like "perfect" women at all. I like women with "flaws" better than women seemingly without them.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 5:40 pm

Some people do find my cluelessness funny and cute.
But not much to the same extent if I do start to act and sound awkward...

Depending on my mood, if I were to laugh at it, or get pissed off about it, or if the whole thing is simply just a memory to shrug off.

What I observed and experienced about not liking awkward people?

The main factor is timing -- both micro and macro -- the former is supposedly instinctive and had something to do with listening and impulse control. The latter had something to do with wisdom and maturity. This is the 'when'.
It didn't matter much if you know what to say or do, or if words or actions even at least to be seem right, appropriate, and understandable -- if your timing is crappy.
Even I have little tolerance for the lack of control and skill timing towards others -- even perceived impulsiveness out of cluelessness, indecision, anxiety, etc.

The secondary factor is words, wording, context, body language, tone, etc... :| What, how, and which to say. The cluelessness factors this.
If this factor had done wrong but done on the right time, odds that it can pass off as something else other than inappropriate.
With given time, I may decipher something else. Yet everyone else would not be as patient nor forgiving.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.