Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:49 am

I have a feeling I'm becoming obsessed with baking, especially baking cakes. In fact, I fear that it might become a new special interest for me. I know it doesn't sound so bad since it isn't really dangerous or unhealthy (unless I want to eat everything I bake, which I don't at the moment), but there are two problems: not wanting to waste money and not wanting to waste food.

Baking a cake or two or baking something else doesn't really cost a lot, but if I started baking, say, every friday, it could get expensive and my budget is already tight as it is. I might be able to make it work by taking money from some other interests of mine, but that doesn't sound so nice... well, I can't have everything.

The other problem is with wasting food. I'm no longer too worried about having to throw stuff away because I messed up, but I'm worried about having to throw away the things I've baked that haven't been eaten before they go bad... I mean some stuff, like puns, I can just freeze, but there are things I can't do that to... sometimes because I'm not sure how. At the moment I'm worried about the birthday cake I made on monday; it still has over half of it left.

Anyway, what I came to ask is: is there any way to steer myself away from this possible new special interest? Or some way to make sure I don't start spending too much money on it? I'm usually able to control my use of money on special interests these days, but I fear that I'll be unable to do it with this one.

Of course, it's possible that this is one of those things that I'll obsess over for a few weeks to few months and then calm down (happened a lot when I was a kid), but in case this isn't something like that... how does one deal with a special interest that could get troublesome?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 11:55 am

Simple.

Open a bakery.

That way you will be forced to get up each morning and bake for living.

That will cause you to come back to WP complaining about how you "have lost all motivation to bake things". :lol:

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 12:01 pm

Hahaha I wish it was that simple!

Just because I enjoy baking now doesn't mean I'm actually good at it. Besides, I can't really open one without any proper experience or education, not to mention I don't have the money.

...And yeah, I'd say with 98% certainty that you were joking, but I answered anyway in case you weren't. :D

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 12:09 pm

Learn how to bake little cakes. Use a scale to measure the flour. That is the only practical way to measure small quantities of flour.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 4:27 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Hahaha I wish it was that simple!

Just because I enjoy baking now doesn't mean I'm actually good at it. Besides, I can't really open one without any proper experience or education, not to mention I don't have the money.

...And yeah, I'd say with 98% certainty that you were joking, but I answered anyway in case you weren't. :D

Was joking.

But many a truth is spoken in jest (as Shakespeare said). If friends and relatives expected you to bake stuff for thanksgiving/Xmas or whatever, and you became the go-to-person to bake stuff then you would be under pressure (even it isn't to make money). That would force you to either capitalize on your "obsession" and cause you to win friends and influence folks, or would sour your obsession, or some combination of both (you would become only moderately obsessed with baking, and would earn moderate popularity by baking). Any of the three outcomes would be desireable.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 5:23 pm

Find a food bank or soup kitchen, and offer to upgrade any cake ingredients they can scrounge for you. Take a cake when you introduce yourself, and you are likely to be quite popular.