Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:36 pm

I am literally obsessed with gloves. I don't know exactly when this started, so don't ask me. For some reason, I especially like medical examination gloves, particularly latex or nitrile. Just about any task could become more fun for me if it involves wearing disposable gloves such as dissection labs. (I also like the actual content of the labs.) I wear size medium, which I found out by measuring my palm with a piece of string. I think I just like the feeling of something covering my hand. I am considering jobs involving wearing disposable gloves such as careers in the medical field.

I started keeping a box of gloves in my bedroom since 8th grade, when our STEM 2 class had a sheep brain dissection. Before the actual dissection, we were asked to bring in gloves, so I ordered a box of indigo nitrile exam gloves online. I kept the gloves in my bedroom until the next day. I also wore gloves when helping deal with a rat infestation at our house when setting traps (to avoid getting the scent of my hands on the traps) and disposing of the rats' carcasses. The gloves I used were blue nitrile exam gloves. Although I doubt anybody in my family has a latex allergy, I used those gloves anyways just in case.

Currently, I have a box of vinyl exam gloves in my bedroom. I typically restock once I run low, though I typically ask for nitrile. I make up excuses that I want to use the gloves for things like craft projects and bleaching my clothes, but I prefer nitrile gloves for bleaching due to their chemical resistance. I actually follow through with these excuses, but I also just play with the gloves when I'm bored. For example, I put on my vinyl gloves and started messing around with some Styro Putty to see how sticky it was, and it was one of the best sensory experiences I ever had. The touching, the sounds, the visuals, oh my! I would love to try again with latex or nitrile gloves to compare.

Is this obsession too weird?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:45 pm

^^^hiya Warrior :) welcome to the club 8) nothing is too weird or even weird here, it's just normal :alien:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 8:48 pm

I agree that obsession sounds weird. When I was in my senior year of high school, they held a career day. I signed up for a few talks from individuals doing different careers. What I found interesting is the most of the boys in the class signed up for morticians. For some reason many found that to be an interesting career field. The reason why it came to mind is that I suspect morticians wear gloves.

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

10 Jul 2018, 8:59 pm

Gloves are nice. I wear a glove when I cook bacon. Also a sweater (even when I'm over a hot stove and it's 100 degrees out). And I used to wear a mask.

I guess the closest I come to that is keeping baby wipes in my room.
But I understand the appeal of the feel of a thing like that.
I tried knitting my own gloves just to see whether I could. And I did. They're entirely different styles, though.
I don't use patterns.
Have you an interest in custom-fit knitted gloves? I'm open to a challenge.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 9:14 pm

I work with food, so we wear nitrile gloves for certain handling situations. I'll also wear them if I don't want to get my hands messy (cleaning up), or in the winter time, I will wear them to keep my hands from drying out. Otherwise, the antibiotic soap we have to use will make my skin crack and bleed. It's too hot in the summer time to wear them for very long.

Sometimes I'll take a pair home for a craft, or I'll buy heavier duty ones (like the kind for dishwashing).

One time I took a pair home and put them on my feet. It was really weird.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 9:16 pm

I don't believe they make 'em big enough for my feets. :o

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 9:26 pm

Best to keep me own counsel I think.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 5:21 am

My feet are kind of small, I guess.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 8:36 am

warrier120 wrote:
I am literally obsessed with gloves. I don't know exactly when this started, so don't ask me. For some reason, I especially like medical examination gloves, particularly latex or nitrile. Just about any task could become more fun for me if it involves wearing disposable gloves such as dissection labs. (I also like the actual content of the labs.) I wear size medium, which I found out by measuring my palm with a piece of string. I think I just like the feeling of something covering my hand. I am considering jobs involving wearing disposable gloves such as careers in the medical field.

I started keeping a box of gloves in my bedroom since 8th grade, when our STEM 2 class had a sheep brain dissection. Before the actual dissection, we were asked to bring in gloves, so I ordered a box of indigo nitrile exam gloves online. I kept the gloves in my bedroom until the next day. I also wore gloves when helping deal with a rat infestation at our house when setting traps (to avoid getting the scent of my hands on the traps) and disposing of the rats' carcasses. The gloves I used were blue nitrile exam gloves. Although I doubt anybody in my family has a latex allergy, I used those gloves anyways just in case.

Currently, I have a box of vinyl exam gloves in my bedroom. I typically restock once I run low, though I typically ask for nitrile. I make up excuses that I want to use the gloves for things like craft projects and bleaching my clothes, but I prefer nitrile gloves for bleaching due to their chemical resistance. I actually follow through with these excuses, but I also just play with the gloves when I'm bored. For example, I put on my vinyl gloves and started messing around with some Styro Putty to see how sticky it was, and it was one of the best sensory experiences I ever had. The touching, the sounds, the visuals, oh my! I would love to try again with latex or nitrile gloves to compare.

Is this obsession too weird?

I wouldn’t say no to glove love. ;-)