Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2017, 9:50 am

I am starting to feel like people are a constant source of pain, frustration, and you never able to rely on them fully. I feel like my interests bring me more joy in life, with the exception of my daughter. It seems like people bring mostly pain, but interests will always be there for me. Has anyone else felt like interests are mostly better to you than people? They don't hurt you whereas people constantly drive you to the edge?

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2017, 10:11 am

Although I feel lonely people simply cannot satisfy that itch, so I always will be. I get no positives from interacting with people, i'm only on here to externalise my thoughts tbh.

People aren't worth the hassle, so if you are lucky enough to have things you enjoy then indulge in those.

CharlesRooster

25 Oct 2017, 11:10 am

Personally, I feel like friendships are overrated and I’d be perfectly happy if you left me alone with my interests. 8)

W̸̨̨̢̢̡̨̡̡̧̡̢̧̧̢̡̡̡̨̛͍̯̳̹̩̖̮̖̣̤̜̼͈̜͓̱̩͓̞̠̲̻̩̟͙̤̦̠̼̙̯̲͎͈̦͇̼̭̬͓͉̟̬̰̲̩͍̮̗̗̝̺̥̲͚͎͔̙̰͈̘̖͚͇͎̳̠̹̙̫̳̻̳̳̼̞̻̜̱͓̝̗̬͎̬̳͕̭̳͇̬̯̙͎͎̖̞̰̪͖̫̦̟͉͓̲̙̻̥̦̠̺̪̰͈̰͖̗̟͖͉͉̞̲̤̝̪͙̠̳̥̤̼̦̥̳̞̪̙͈̼̹̙͖̘̞͇͔̟̣̝͍͙͈̮̰̱͉̠̤̠̲̫̼̗̫̙̭̙͈̫̺̘̲̗̗̞̩̖̦̞̟͍̘͇͉̝̖̥͔͕̣̩͇̱̪͓̩̹͎̻̙̗̬͈̰̝͕̠͎̩̞̩͛͌̈́͐̈́̌͐̐̉̈̐̍̌́͛͂̈́̾͂̈́̊̃͋̓̃̌̎̈́̏̀̈́̈́͒̀̍̾͐͑͒̋̃̑̇̽̉͊̈̌͗̐̽̅̈́͆̋̂̇̀̀̋͂͑̚̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅe̶̡̧̧̨̧̧̡̧̛̛̛̛̛̤̱̬̥͖̹̱̹̦̺͚͙̜͎͈͚̭͙̦̻͚͉̹͙̘͔͍̬̲̦͕̟̯̜̜̗͙͙͈̲̰̯̹̳͖̤͙̥͔̭̼͙͈͈͖̝̥̜̣̼͚̥͔̲̟̤̩͓̹̟͉̬̹̗̩͍͈͈͙̰͎͕͔͖̝̪̞̺̭̤͙̯̻̞͉̙̪̲̼̣̩̥͓̠̭̱͂̈́͆͑̑͌̈́̽̑̄̂̈́́̂̎͒̂͂̋̈́́̓̑̋̀̉̓̆̎̋͐͛̐̃̌́̓̔̌̽̑̀̈́͛̀͌̈́̄̓̍̔̉̄̍͐̀̊̌̒̎̾́̅̌̆̽̆̀́͂͂̄͗̽͑̓͋̄̏̆̐͂̊̀̓̾̒̈́͑͐͆̀̌͒͒̈͛̐̾̂̅̀́̀̇̀̃̒̊͂̇̐̑̎͊̿̂͆̇̃̉̆͒͗̔̽́͗̎͑̓̓̀͆͊̾̐̓̆̇́̊̒͛̀̀̌̏̀͑͗̍͂̑͗̒̄̏̊̍̿͌́̿́͐̍͐̇̿͐͒̿́̽̄͒̊̀̊͛̍̉̂̀̑́̐̀̎̒͛̽͛̆͗̊̄̆̓͗̂͌͐͒̎̈́̋̂̑̓̈́̌͒̅̄̆̓̂̀͊̍̌̏̐͊̉̐̀͌̓͂͛̈́̉̍̕̚̕̕͘̚̕̕̕͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͠͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅi̸̡̨̛̫̝̹͈͎̩͓̎̄̀̓̂͂͐́̓̔̂̍͑̄̀̀̈̀͌̏̑͑̽́͛̔͊̂͂͋͌̊̎́̄͗́̀̄̒̔̂̏͂̒̿́̀̇͊̾̐͂̏͌͛̓́͆́̏̀̀͊͊̾͒͂͋̅̄̒̽́̑̓̈́̔̔̚̚͘͘͘͘͘̚̕̕͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅř̸̡̧̧̢̨̢̡̢̡̧̡̨̢̨̡̧̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̤̗̜̞̝͉̖̯̙̣͕̠̥͚̲̭̯͔̣̥͓̳̳̤̪̲͚̱̤̲͉̭̰̬̙̯̜̜̹͇̱̞̟͚͍̣̲̲̣͇͕̞͕̠̟͓͚̣̠̹͇͔̰̳͓̙̜̹̞͍̺̳͖͈͖̪̬͔̹̗̤͉̥̰͇̘̦͓̩̮͉̬͚̤͇̦͓̹̝̠͔͍̺̪̖͔̱̭̰̻̥̹͎̥̘̯̦̟̤̠͕͚͇͖̞͓̼͉̱̙̱͉̘̮̤̱̩̖̰̤̦̥̝̳̠̳͓̹̥͖̘̹̫̭̲̟͈͚̺͙̠͖̪̠̜͖̟̤̙̗̥̜̯̱̣̩͇͔̰̬̹͕̦̞͇͇͇̺͕̹̜͎͔͎̲̰͕́̈͊̀̒̉̅́͒̉̆̇̓͛̓̃̐̍͌̽͊̑̂͛̏̄͗̑̐̈̿͛͐̈́̔̒̀̽̿́̔̾̔̆͐͌͆͂̒͊̀̈́̔͑͊̔̉̓̇̄̌̒̋̈́̅̾̿̋̊̋͌̅̇̀͆͋̏͐̈́͑͂̀̽́́̋͂̊̌̓̀̈̓̈́́̈́̀̓͆̒̒͗̾̃̃̀̏̒͒̎̀̀̒̈̄̈́͊̀̈́̋͛́̍̀̾͊͆̋͌͊͗͂̊̇̂̌̓̈́̈͂̈̈́̌́̀͛͆̌́̎̅͐̆͋̅̍̃̄̍̎̀́͋́̂̊̈́̓̐́̿̄́̏͂̓̏́̓̔͐̋̑͗̊̒̔͑́̀̊͐̈́̑͌̆̓͌͗̈́͆̄̒͛͒̀̈̆͋̂͑̎͒͒̎̏̑̐̆̐̃͑͛͂̔̚̕̕͘͘̚̕̕̚̕̚͘̚͘͘̚̚͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅḏ̵̢̨̨̢̡̧̢̡̧̨̡̢̢̡̢̡̧̧̡̨̧̡̢̨̨̡̡̞̘̼͉̹̥̮͇͎̯͍̲̜̳̥͈̺̪̮̲̠̣̳̭͎͔͉̼͖̮̤̱̘͉̫͖̠̭̝̯͙͍̙̖̪͚̺̬̮̯̱̪̜̤̪̮̙̯̫̩͚͇͓͚̪͖̞͖̫̝̣͎͉͉̮̭̰̭̬̗̲̙̩͇̤͈̩͇̳͈͙̮̱̬̼̙̖̪͔̙̳̬̖̫̱̲̪̺͎̖̣̟̹̙̞̼̹͔̝̞͙͖͈̠͔̲̰̯̫̗̪̰̬̖͍̰̩̮̱͕͎̪͔͓͈͎͍̻͓͇̯͉̫̳̮͉̹̺͈̬̣͕͔͎͖̱̪͈̲͕̰̜̱̺̝̙̰͓̝̤̺̠̘͔̰̣͔̹̰͇̯͚̱̞̥̦͚͍̹̙̦̪̲̤̗̘͔̝̯̲͓̠̺̱̙̲͇̘͈͚͍͍̻̫̱̲͚̠͔̗̪̹̻̝̜̫͚̦̫͙̜̩̽̀̌͒͌̍͛̄̉̎̎̈͂̋̓̌͋͌̒̌̐̍́̇̊͂͗̓̓̓̾̂̓̓̒̽͆́̈͆̑͋̀̅̎͂̈́̄͊̂́̽̽̌̿̀͑̍̍͋͋̊̈̐̈́̈́̌̂͑́̈́͘͘̚̕̚͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅơ̶̢̢̧̡̧̨̧̨̢̧͙͉̳̖̘̠͓̙͍͍̞̖̘̠̯͙̗͍̦̰̠̰̜̩̼̬̱͇͈̫̗͙̩̦͚̝͚̞͉̫͔̥̤̩̪̘̫̤̜̩̮̱̹̟̞̻̥̞̼̘̦̙̻̩̼̝͓̠͈̯̼̳̘̮̭̣̖̻̻̳̟̘̰͖̲̝̬͓̰͇̲̞͎̹̱̹̰̳̫͉̭͎͎̙̬̹̗̘̠̱̩̓͂̋̅̂͌͒̿̀͒̋̊͂͊͒̽̆̑̔̋́͋̐͆̊̆̏̈́͊̓̏͂̎̽̌̄̀̄̃̄́̿́̌̒́͒̋͋̍̇̑̍͒̊͆̊̐̉̐̔͋͆͐̎͋͗̈́̍̈͊̾̃́̑̆̅̃͋̀́̊̂̀̑̎̀͆̄̍̓̾̓̽̈́͋̀̿̎́́̆͗͂̐͂̐͗̽́̓̊̂̐̃́̃̇́̿̀̍̑́̐̋̋̂͂͗̇͊̉̊̃̽̆͆͆͑̇͆͒́̀͌̇̓̄̆́̀͆͆̾̾̀́̐̏̄̏̉̀̽̈́̑͊̉̒̄̀͘̚̕͘̚̕͘̚͘̕͘͘͘̕͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͠͝͝͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͠͝ͅͅ

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 1:46 pm

Yes. There are some benefits to interacting with other humans, but so many drawbacks. Learning about asd has helped me because I feel more aware of what boundaries support my well-being. I also feel educating myself about asd gave me concrete justification for putting my boundaries in place since my boundaries might not be understood or accepted by nt society.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 3:32 pm

Same as you, but ain't got no children

The frustration is not "constant"

However, almost everyone that I have ever interacted with, is not worth the :cry: cost benefit analysis :heart:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 5:29 pm

I enjoy my interests more than I enjoy people. I have two great friends that I prefer over my interests. I prefer my interests over most of the people that I know. I also confess that I prefer interests over the company of my family and I feel guilty about it sometimes. A completed painting can't roll its eyes at me, a die-cast Routemaster can't disown me for identifying with the wrong ancestors and a war helmet will never be in denial that I'm trans. I make an effort and I see my parents and family every chance that I get, because family is important in the eyes of God and for my own mental health. If I ever decided not to see my parents for a long time, I'd be feeling very horrible looking at my mum on her deathbed.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 8:19 pm

lately i have had neither precious lil "friends" or interests

but if i could have one, then it would be interests

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 9:37 pm

I never made any long term friends growing up. I'd just come home from school, play some games or draw and that was all. Other kids my age were shopping for Gucci stuff after school and I was so socially unpopular I have no doubt they wouldn't want to bring me along.

So I'm gonna go with interests. People are strange...

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 12:20 am

Definitely.
I'm much more engaged by ideas than I am by people. People are only enjoyable when they facilitate the idea - for example people in an interest group can be enjoyable if we are interacting on that interest we are both there to engage with. But it frustrates me that often you will need other people in order to facilitate an interest - someone to teach you how to do things perhaps, or the dreaded "networking," whereby without contact with other people, you wouldn't get the same exposure to interesting opportunities. I wish I could just leave people out of it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 11:29 am

I know what you mean. Very often, give me five minutes with a member of the human race and the thought of living and dying alone somehow loses its sting. It beggars belief, the crap I go through in the interests of maintaining social contact. I can't even say it's because company is thrust upon me - being retired and of independent means, I could spend the rest of my life almost completely isolated from people if I wanted to. And my stress levels are usually very low when I'm alone, except when I'm contemplating some necessary and potentially tricky interaction with another person, such as phoning a jobsworth about an insurance policy.

But the converse is also true - if I'm completely alone for long enough, the thought of social contact begins to look like a nutritious meal on the horizon would look to a starving man. I guess the truth about people for me is that I can't live with 'em, yet can't live without 'em.

My partner and son are rather the exception to the rule, I can generally spend a long time with either of them without wanting to dismiss them. And to be fair, I've been known to enjoy company from time to time, so much so that it's been worth the stress. I'm very thankful for the blessing of communication via the written word, the social interaction-without-interaction, though it's not enough for me on its own.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 1:07 am

With the exception of my family, I tend to find people annoying and in the way of what I want. While there have been a few people I didn't mind talking to occasionally when we both were at the place where we got to know each other (usually school), for me it has never lead to me wanting to spend time with them outside of said place. I never miss being around people (very close family not included). Out of sight, out of mind. (Although they weren't usually on my mind even when they were in sight.)

I suffer burnout if I can't engage in my interests often enough over a prolonged period of time. I get irritable and impatient if I don't get to do my stuff short term.

Friends vs interests isn't even a dilemma. I have 2 priorities, and in this order:
Family (and pets when I had any)
Interests

I prefer to not be too close with anyone because even if we get along, they want to spend far more time together than I want. I would much rather do something related to my interests. I don't wanna waste my precious time on social stuff. Life's too short to not live it fully whenever I can.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 1:26 am

Rukkus wrote:
I am starting to feel like people are a constant source of pain, frustration, and you never able to rely on them fully. I feel like my interests bring me more joy in life, with the exception of my daughter. It seems like people bring mostly pain, but interests will always be there for me. Has anyone else felt like interests are mostly better to you than people? They don't hurt you whereas people constantly drive you to the edge?

I absolutely agree with you a 100%. NTs, especially in the workplace, have ALWAYS been my greatest sources of pain, aggravation, frustration and over-stimulation. If I just had an Autism support dog, then I would be perfectly OK for days, months, years on end being left the heck alone with my special interests - which bring an endless amount of joy and happiness to me.

A dog would satisfy my need for companionship and totally replace any need I had for another life-form to be present with me. It's almost like a trick for ASDs to have an Autism support dog, which I highly recommend for anyone who can, I currently don't but totally need one and am working hard to get one. There's a MASSIVE waiting list for Autism support dogs in Canada... *sigh*

I've been driven to the edge so. many. times. because of the social cruelty inflicted upon me by NTs and my current anxiety status is listed as "inconceivable" diminishes completely as long as I'm not around NTs.

Just a dog. Thank-you very much. A nice male golden Labrador retriever please.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 8:08 am

Xatrix26

A dog bit me last year

But if I wasn't terrified of dogs, maybe I would get one

The dog can't take revenge against you, the way (former) friends can (and do)

The dog has no choice but to interact with you

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 8:14 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Xatrix26

A dog bit me last year

But if I wasn't terrified of dogs, maybe I would get one

The dog can't take revenge against you, the way (former) friends can (and do)

The dog has no choice but to interact with you

I highly recommend a properly trained Autism support dog for you my friend. They're in such high demand in Canada that there's a massive waiting list. And golden labrador retrievers are the friendliest breed of dog in the world. Bar none. Excellent guide dogs.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 12:42 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I suffer burnout if I can't engage in my interests often enough over a prolonged period of time. I get irritable and impatient if I don't get to do my stuff short term.

AFAIK I don't exactly burn out under such circumstances (it's being too involved with people that sends me that way, when things get too complicated), but special interests are invaluable for distracting me from my sensory issues. If my mind isn't fully occupied I usually feel extremely uncomfortable, irritable and impatient.

The saving grace is that if I'm in a social situation that's working well, that also occupies my mind - I guess you could say that positive social interaction is one of my special interests. Social interaction is only usually a problem when I try too hard to fit in, and end up going along with stuff that doesn't interest me and subjects me to too much emotional and physical discomfort, and it often becomes impractical or socially unacceptable for me to just cut my losses and drop out of the situation. It's very hard for me to predict how a given social event is going to turn out for me.

Quote:
Life's too short to not live it fully whenever I can.

Amen to that. I gather one of the most common regrets people express on their death beds is that they wish they'd been truer to themselves and their own needs instead of giving it all away to others.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 6:05 pm

Xatrix

Furthermore I am too broke to pay for dog food and vet bills

Furthermore I am too lazy to train the dog or even walk the dog.

My house has carpet. Too much energy to keep it clean

Moreover I am afraid of dogs

:D