Yes 93%  93%  [ 187 ]
No 7%  7%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 202

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2007, 9:17 am

manalitwist wrote:
In Chinese medicine the Spleen is affected by too much thinking such as a student might do when studying for exams which is why they may be affected by stomach cramps, sickness or complaints.

Interestingly, Autistics do have a high preponderance of stomach/digestive complaints and imbalances of bacteria in their stomachs - certainly about 20 percent or more of Autistics.

Finally, a soul touched by the Tao!

I think autism has more to do with Metal (Lungs and Large Intestine) than Earth (Spleen and Stomach). Certainly there is a touch of Earth (obsession and logic) that fuels Metal, though. Autistics also are inclined to have polmunary diseases, IIRC.

The opposite of AS, William's Syndrome, is a Fire disease instead (Fire is sociality at his maximum), and indeed WS have cardiovasculary problems.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:36 am

I daydream ALL the time, but my daydreams are very repetitive. I daydream about things that pertain to my obsessive interests, and often have the same exact daydream more than once. I assume that is related to aspergers. Can anyone relate to that?

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:51 am

^ Yes.

I live life through my daydreams.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:56 am

Fedaykin wrote:
I find myself daydreaming a bit of how I want my life to be.

Me too, constantly. Problem is, I never make the daydreams reality.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:59 am

Quote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
I daydream ALL the time, but my daydreams are very repetitive. I daydream about things that pertain to my obsessive interests, and often have the same exact daydream more than once. I assume that is related to aspergers. Can anyone relate to that?

yes. I relate in entirety.

I might add - what was tesla doing when he was ruminating on all those wonderful inventions and discoveries?
What was cezanne doing? what was einstein doing? what was yeats doing? What was glenn gould doing?

what is the study's definition of "daydreaming?"
yet another completely poxy study that is marked by its irrelevance to many of us on the spectrum.

bah-humbug......

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2009, 1:45 am

Looks like scientists brought retardation to a whole new level. I daydream... doesn't everyone else?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 2:11 am

I don't know if I daydream or not. I'm always thinking about things but I RARELY think of new situations for myself etc. That only happened when I was majorly depressed and now I don't do that. My thoughts take the form of words-- always directed as if I'm writing to someone. Normally by form of computer. I guess in my head it's a huge monologue, lol. Also it's very repetitive. I'll repeat something in my head over and over again.

I guess it's cause I don't visualize things in my head. I'm going to have to vote no.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 2:32 am

I daydream a fair bit. :D

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2009, 5:11 am

I summarize these kinds of studies as "Help, we don't know what the f, but everybody expects us to know what the f, quick somebody scribble down something" and they are all over the place.

How do you define a group as not having something that is not actually psychologically defined? There is no consensus on what a daydream even is, but somehow they have used a brain scan, I'm assuming fMRI, to determine the areas that are supposed to be active but are not. Active during rest periods. How was this rest period established? I don't know about any of you, but any time I'm being tested by doctors, at no point during this process am I anywhere near something I would call "resting" so what is the metric for a rest state and how did they induce this state in the individuals?

So I sought out a more comprehensive story about the study From Medicalnewstoday which has this to say:

Quote:
-- During their resting period. Their resting network was not at a high level, as was the case with the control group.

-- When switching to the Stroop test, the autistic subjects' resting network did not shut down, as was the case with the control group.

In other words, the resting network of autistic people does not fire up or switch off - it just keeps ticking over.

So bad science reporting is bad. This gem also leaps out:
Quote:
Kennedy said it is very hard to know what autistic people are thinking when resting, when the mind is allowed to wander.

I suggest one try starting with asking an autistic person what they are thinking when resting? It might, you know, help you know what they are thinking? Are we waiting for the Mind Reading Machine which we can program to tell us they are thinking whatever we want to claim they are thinking, what is the issue here? If you specified non-communicative autistic okay, yah, sure, but uhm, how do you figure out what NT people are thinking?

How one gets from a study that shows autistics are ALWAYS daydreaming to claiming they NEVER daydream is simply astounding.

Quote:
Writing in PNAS, the researchers led by Dr Duncan Kennedy, said: "We speculate that the lack of deactivation in the autism group is indicative of abnormal internally directed processes at rest, which may be an important contribution to the social and emotional deficits of autism."

We found some stuff, we really don't know what it means, but we're going to pretend like we have an idea. We the people that don't even believe in asking the autistic what they are thinking, preferring to just claim it is hard to know. Sign me up for what this dude is selling for sure! Let's try hooking some wires up to my rest network and see if by lighting me up I suddenly become a social and emotional person to the standards of Kennedy.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 6:09 am

8O WTF?
I refer to myself as aspie for the sake of simplicity, but I was actually diagnosed as autistic when I was a little girl and I'm assuming my greater functionality as an adult means I've leveled up on the spectrum to Asperger's. So I might technically be autistic.

And I spend my life with my head in the clouds at odd moments.

Saspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2009, 7:18 am

I daydream very often. I really enjoy my periods of the day when I can spend them daydreaming. On the train to and from work. On the 25min walk to and from work to the train station and during the forty round trip to pick up lunch each day which I do so I can get out of the office and relax. I also sometimes just lie in bed and listen to music whilst daydreaming. It's so nice.

I guess if autistics do not day dream then I must not be autistic :lol:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 9:09 am

Saspie wrote:
I daydream very often. I really enjoy my periods of the day when I can spend them daydreaming. On the train to and from work. On the 25min walk to and from work to the train station and during the forty round trip to pick up lunch each day which I do so I can get out of the office and relax. I also sometimes just lie in bed and listen to music whilst daydreaming. It's so nice.

I guess if autistics do not day dream then I must not be autistic :lol:

Gee, You stole my thunder! Their stated mathod is FAULTY! It is like the time that I try to teach people something and they may say something like "You didn't boot the computer, because X program didn't boot"! THEN I have to explain to them that maybe THEY had to do that because of some program or network change, but I don't. Maybe the color of a light, or its placement is different. Some people can make WEIRD observations! I have even interviewed people that worked at ONE company, and learned on the job. They THINK that a certain command is standard, when it is custom.

Likewise, if you look at a black box and X usually happens when a certain event occurs, it is STUPID to believe it ALWAYS occurs when that happens, if you know nothing else about it.

"Lie detectors" are a pet pieve of mine. Some IDIOT noticed that various things OFTEN change when you lie. They then figured that, if they change, you are lying. That is WRONG! A COLD could change them. Embarrasment can change them. They ALSO figure that if they DON'T change, you are telling the truth. That is WRONG! Apathy, misunderstanding, training, etc.... could cause them to not change.

Obviously, they did that HERE! That is what happens when you "teach science" in school, and pay people to determine things, or they have an agenda.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 9:20 am

I don't daydream.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:04 pm

I voted "yes" but then I read what the poster acutally wrote. I guess now that I think about it, I confused daydreaming with obsessing over asperger's, dancing, and drawing. I'm always thinking those three things and usually not much else. Sometimes I think about what someone might say if I told them I have asperger's...Is that daydreaming or still obsessing? What about when I imagine myself getting into the top ballet company in the country...daydreaming or obsessing?? :?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:10 pm

I am confused as to what they mean by "Daydreaming" and whether or not what I do that I might consider to be daydreaming is different from their definition of what daydreaming is...

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 12:55 pm

According to Webster's Online Dictionary... daydream : a pleasant visionary usually wishful creation of the imagination

I don't know how the study defines it. I didn't try to find it either because I prefer to read nonfiction.