Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2017, 8:50 pm

C2V wrote:
There is also the theory that you actually remember absolutely everything that has ever happened to you, you just cannot ordinarily access those memories. Not sure how that fits in. At times I think an eidetic memory would be awesome - but at other times, I'm glad that so much of my history has blacked out.

One of the things autism does is create many more nueral connections in the brain, so if we have the memories in there, and (for the sake of example) if we can't remember them than the path is 'blocked' then autists have more paths and a higher chance of being able to remember.

Just a random thought.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2017, 9:33 pm

xatrix26 wrote:
Those of us affected with Asperger's Syndrome have memories that can be quite extensive indeed. To quote the great Tony Attwood, who has more than 40 years experience dealing with Autism, in his book "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome,":

"The child's encyclopedic knowledge can become quite remarkable and he or she is perceived as a 'little professor' eager to read about the interest, ask adults questions related to the interest and instruct peers about the interest in a manner more resembling a teacher that a peer."

It is a well-known fact that Savants have even greater memories than Aspies. Unfortunately, Non-verbal Autistics lack the verbal skills necessary to express themselves to display their memory capacities so we'll never know for sure for that group. Perhaps with writing they could, but high aggression factors usually interfere with any display of memory capacity they might possibly have.

Two groups out of three for Autistics who have high memory capacity would seem to tip the scales in favour of saying that on the whole, Autistics do have greater memory capacities than Neuro-Typicals (NTs).

I would say it's safe to say that based on empirical evidence. Any singular person saying they have low memory capacity are most likely just anomalies in the aforementioned groups.

In intelligent discussion, it's best to look on the whole than the anomalous one for broad-based reasoning.

I find your answer condescending and baseless; at the very least it's not constructive.

Empirical evidence? When you go looking for something, you tend to find it. Citations (other than Attberg saying so) please. I can quote other sources that say Autie's have poor memories when it comes to life events.

We are also "known" to have Executive Dysfunction issues, part of which entails memory issues. Looks like, by the anecdotal evidence (talk to Temple Grandin about her view of empirical vs anecdotal evidence), present in many of the responses to this thread, the OP is not necessarily an anomaly.

I have a great memory ... in specific domains; my short term memory and my memories of my life, like the OP, are crap.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2017, 9:38 pm

The Musings Of The Lost wrote:
C2V wrote:
There is also the theory that you actually remember absolutely everything that has ever happened to you, you just cannot ordinarily access those memories. Not sure how that fits in. At times I think an eidetic memory would be awesome - but at other times, I'm glad that so much of my history has blacked out.

One of the things autism does is create many more nueral connections in the brain, so if we have the memories in there, and (for the sake of example) if we can't remember them than the path is 'blocked' then autists have more paths and a higher chance of being able to remember.

Just a random thought.

More connections in localized areas of the brain ... and fewer that span the different functional areas. Lots of data and no way for it to go where it's needed. Have you read The Autistic Brain? It's very interesting.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2017, 9:42 pm

Kiriae wrote:
My memory is very good but it requires triggers to recall. When one shows up the memories come back to me as vividly as photos or movies.

There are also things I remember better or worse.
I tend to scan my environment all the time therefore I am very good at recalling things, places and events - I am always paying attention to what I see and it just sinks in. I am much worse with what other people are doing or saying - I focus more on things than humans. I also seem to have prosopagnosia but it could be because I just don't find human faces interesting enough to remember.

Yep. I've learned to create triggers.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 9:42 pm

If anything I find ND memory to be poor for anything that does not directly serve purpose or benefit the individual.
I am expected to remember 20+ rotas for a week including what my family members do the entire week, yet not one will remember my work rota pattern or weekly routines even though they do not change, and I constantly remind people of these patterns at least twice a week.

The same goes for phone numbers. People will remember the number of someone they are sleeping with or a care giver in their family, or say a work number...but they won't remember say a number of an acquaintance or a customer service hotline they do not need to call. I again remember these details and people expect me to know them, without knowing it themselves.

Memory to humans is often fickle.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 6:18 pm

I have a photographic memory and I remember things that happened to me starting as early as one and a half. I remember the summer that I was one and a half and I was climbing stairs and I was looking through columns that were holding the banister up. There are some not so happy things that I remember when I witness a trigger.