Do you ever get frustrated with your special interest?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2017, 3:49 pm

Lately I’ve been getting really frustrated with my interest(art) which has me wondering, if I’m losing interest. I hope not. Do you ever get frustrated with your interest?

AspieAlphys28
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2017, 4:51 pm

sometimes i indulge in my special interest So Much that i get sick of it somehow. some interests like pokemon will never leave, but i have had interests that are off an on or even just off as soon as i burn out on it. i too really enjoy art and draw my special interest characters, but sometimes i get too frustrated with art as well. i'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but i think its normal for even aspies, known for being obsessers, to get frustrated/tired of their special interests

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 154 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

░█▀▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀█
░█░░░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀░░░█
░░▀▄░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▄▀
░░░░▌░▄▄░░░▄▄░▐▀▀
░░░▐░░█▄░░░▄█░░▌▄▄▀▀▀▀█
░░░▌▄▄▀▀░▄░▀▀▄▄▐░░░░░░█
▄▀▀▐▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀▌▄▄▄░░░█
█░░░▀▄░█░░░█░▄▀░░░░█▀▀▀
░▀▄░░▀░░▀▀▀░░▀░░░▄█▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░▀▄
░░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█▄█░░▄▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄█▀

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 4:58 pm

Yes, I do. I have a couple of them, though, so I can usually kind of switch from one to another when I need to. Still really frustrating, though.

WallflowerAsparagus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 5:00 pm

Mine is art also, photography to be precise, and yes, I get frustrated all the time because if my depression and obsessing over details. I get really hard on myself and it makes my partner sad.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 156 of 200.
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200.
RAADS-R score: 175.0
Artist | INFJ-T | heterodemisexual.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 7:33 pm

I get frustrated with special interests that I couldn't afford or find ways beyond just watching and reading about it. :(

That includes games I'm interested at yet I could never able to play even with emulators since it's unavailable or that my computer can't run it yet. Sciences I couldn't directly witness or practice. Crafts that I couldn't afford it's materials and tools, and no possible alternatives available. And many more simply because I couldn't afford the fares, the equipments, being locally unavailable, and whatever insurances needed or licences required for it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2017, 3:48 am

WallflowerAsparagus wrote:
Mine is art also, photography to be precise, and yes, I get frustrated all the time because if my depression and obsessing over details. I get really hard on myself and it makes my partner sad.

Similar to my experience my obsessiveness with detail can make my art experience frustrating. It frustrates me I can’t work faster and have to focus on minute details such as a skin pore or single hair. While I love this, Part of me wants to complete a painting in a few days but my brain won’t allow anything other than what i do. I see artists complete pieces in a few days and it gets very frustrating.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2017, 7:33 am

Yeah. Mine is also art, and I especially get frustrated when I have to do it for someone else, in a way that I don't want to. I live off taking commissions, but I sure hope that I can start selling my own work soon, because having someone else dictating my art is killing the passion.
Otherwise, I mostly get frustrated when I feel like I can't do it. If I'm having a bad day, I can't make anything look good, and that is a downwards spiral to hell. Because painting is what makes me feel good if I'm down, but then I can't do it, and frustration grows and grows.
I've finally realized that I should just focus on another interest in these moments. One that doesn't require emotional labour.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2017, 8:59 am

Yes I do get frustrated/tired/bored of my interests very often. However I still keep coming back to them and it's always a joy whenever I resume activities. That's unlike my job, which I am obliged to get to no matter what and keep coming back to it no matter the much I hate it.

Seff
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2017, 12:17 pm

Same here, I have always had spells of boredom with my interests.
It's strange because I will get so frustrated with an interest I just lose all interest in it completely, yet I can still remember that yesterday there was nothing more important.
To be honest I'd always put this down to depression (before I found out about AS and did all my research) so if it is because of Autism then I guess depression could still of been a factor.

Art has always been an interest of mine in various forms but I did used to be into drawing big time, but my interest wained because I'd get frustrated that I was never satisfied with my work. It was never how it was in my head.

Now I'm thinking about it, frustration seems to be the common denominator between losing interest. Most of the time I regain interest in my activities and have a renewed love for it, and most of the time I have gotten better at it due to having a break - like I've levelled up :P

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 12:24 pm

Sometimes, I feel "stuck" on my "special interest," and become quite inflexible.

I feel like I'm in a sort of stasis on these occasions; it's quite frustrating.

It's almost like sinking in quicksand.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 12:29 pm

My only frustration is that I haven't been able to turn any of my special interests into a stable profession. I always like the kind of odd, esoteric stuff which many people do not take an interest in. I used to pride myself on that fact but it doesn't seem to have much practical value.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 12:33 pm

What frustrates me about my special interest is how it's like a form of necessary maintenance that takes up time that I can't afford to spend. I'm going to school to become a physical therapist assistant and I need to spend time studying and focusing on learning, but I have these set ways, these rituals, and my special interests and so a good portion of my day can be spent pursuing that.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2017, 1:12 pm

Embla wrote:
Yeah. Mine is also art, and I especially get frustrated when I have to do it for someone else, in a way that I don't want to. I live off taking commissions, but I sure hope that I can start selling my own work soon, because having someone else dictating my art is killing the passion.
Otherwise, I mostly get frustrated when I feel like I can't do it. If I'm having a bad day, I can't make anything look good, and that is a downwards spiral to hell. Because painting is what makes me feel good if I'm down, but then I can't do it, and frustration grows and grows.
I've finally realized that I should just focus on another interest in these moments. One that doesn't require emotional labour.

I can understand this.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 1:14 pm

My only frustration with my special interests turtles and wolves, are the bad reality (poaching, loss of habitat, trigger happy peasants etc).

The (special) interests themselves never frustrate me.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2017, 1:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sometimes, I feel "stuck" on my "special interest," and become quite inflexible.

I feel like I'm in a sort of stasis on these occasions; it's quite frustrating.

It's almost like sinking in quicksand.

This also explains how I feel. I’m like this today. Obsessing with little progress. Like running on a treadmill being so engrossed in it but not really getting anywhere.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2017, 1:16 pm

Seff wrote:
Same here, I have always had spells of boredom with my interests.
It's strange because I will get so frustrated with an interest I just lose all interest in it completely, yet I can still remember that yesterday there was nothing more important.
To be honest I'd always put this down to depression (before I found out about AS and did all my research) so if it is because of Autism then I guess depression could still of been a factor.

Art has always been an interest of mine in various forms but I did used to be into drawing big time, but my interest wained because I'd get frustrated that I was never satisfied with my work. It was never how it was in my head.

Now I'm thinking about it, frustration seems to be the common denominator between losing interest. Most of the time I regain interest in my activities and have a renewed love for it, and most of the time I have gotten better at it due to having a break - like I've levelled up :P
im wondering if a dip in my mental health can explain frustration too.