What makes you level 2 instead of level 1 autism?

Page 2 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 10:19 pm

I think there is a distinct difference between level 1 and 2. Completely different lifestyles. As a level 2 it is unlikely that I will ever lead a normal life as in have my own place, get up get dressed, go to work, get groceries, pay bills etc. I'll always be like a dependent little kid.
The trade off so to speak is I won't have to deal with many of the difficulties a level 1 person does.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Dec 2017, 6:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It depends on the person really. It can range widely.

Here are examples of some "accommodations" which are given in schools

One person with Level One, say, might be entitled to "untimed tests."

Another might be entitled to time to calm down in a "non-sensory" sort of room.

Another might be entitled to a certain seat so as not to have to hear the hum of the air-conditioner.

Things llike that.

Except for the exam tests I could manage to organise these for myself... like sitting in a bathroom for no other need than to be alone or wearing noise-cancelling earplugs. I don't think you should be certified as disabled for such things.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 7:37 am

EzraS wrote:
I think there is a distinct difference between level 1 and 2. Completely different lifestyles. As a level 2 it is unlikely that I will ever lead a normal life as in have my own place, get up get dressed, go to work, get groceries, pay bills etc. I'll always be like a dependent little kid.
The trade off so to speak is I won't have to deal with many of the difficulties a level 1 person does.

In Polish law it would mean you are level 3. Someone level 2 can get dressed, get groceries, go to school/workplace etc. and live on his own (assuming you have money, and someone level 2 and 3 can get on SSI) but has trouble finding and holding a job and requires support in some areas of life(not in daily life - dressing up, hygiene, shopping, eating - but stuff like weekly house cleaning, monthly paperwork, occasional appointments booking, finding unknown places etc).

Someone level 3 cannot get dressed, get groceries, arrive to school/workplace on his own and is unable to live alone even if they have money - they need constant support.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 7:59 am

Kiriae wrote:
EzraS wrote:

In Polish law it would mean you are level 3. Someone level 2 can get dressed, get groceries, go to school/workplace etc. and live on his own (assuming you have money, and someone level 2 and 3 can get on SSI) but has trouble finding and holding a job and requires support in some areas of life(not in daily life - dressing up, hygiene, shopping, eating - but stuff like weekly house cleaning, monthly paperwork, occasional appointments booking, finding unknown places etc).

Someone level 3 cannot get dressed, get groceries, arrive to school/workplace on his own and is unable to live alone even if they have money - they need constant support.

I was level 3 up until I was about 10. Between age 8 and 10 I began saying words and acknowledging people better and functioning better overall. Plus since I had become easier to work with I was doing better on testing that eliminated intellectual disability in my overall results.

Now I can do things like dress myself, but as far as the daily rat race goes, the problem is pacing. On my own I can take a long time getting out bed, brushing my teeth and dressing etc. Some days are better than others.

And a thing I wasn't taking into consideration at the time is that I also have severe dyspraixa which compounds the difficulties I have.

However I have been exchanging PM with someone who is in their late 20's and also level 2 and we seem to have a great deal in common as far as level of assistance that's required.

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2017, 2:11 pm

C2V wrote:
I hate functioning levels.
To me it's pointless, because my ability to function seems to fluctuate. Right now I might be level 1 - looking relatively passable, not dead.
Next week I might be level 3, unable to care for myself or speak or comprehend anything that is going on in any way.
See me sitting at a cafe with someone I'm comfortable with and in an encounter that I have prepared extensively for, and then see me in shutdown mode when I'm basically catatonic, and you'd swear I was two different people.

I agree. Levels are insulting...like if I say I am level 1 I am not really autistic, or if I am level 3 I am brain damaged (when really I am more capable of being a genius in time)....but yeah, sometimes I'm low functioning and sometimes I'm high functioning and sometimes I'm in the middle. Doesn't mean I need assistance, just makes me different and I feel empowered by saying that can be a good thing too. :)

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 10:03 pm

I'm still on SSI and in between levels 1 and 2.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 1:54 am

level 2 is requiring significant support and level 1 is requiring support. a level 1 has a better chance of being independent with a few accommodations and support if any at all and level 2 may need support regularly and more than likely life long.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 2:45 am

Those levels seem confusing because needing support or needing significant support is relative.

For most of human history people were just considered defective or weird and nobody got support for being like that.
I got so used and abused and misunderstood when i was young.
And they thought I was crazy or stupid or sick in the head, but not needing support.

There is an expression used in my family that applies to me --- gooooooooofy, that' s because I have always been eccentric and goooooofy and didn't how to relate to people.

I've been a bit obsessed with genetics lately and I've said some goofy exaggerated things due ignorance and being given irrelevant information.
But it's been confirmed I am missing some methyl cpg binding protein 2 and some centrosomal protein in my brain and anything else is not very relative.
I think it may be due to my mother chain smoking when she was pregnant but that was back in the 40's when people didn't know any better.
I am definitely goofy, but i think WP people are very nice and very kind and deserving of all the support they need.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Dec 2017, 4:46 am

Marybird wrote:
Those levels seem confusing because needing support or needing significant support is relative.

For most of human history people were just considered defective or weird and nobody got support for being like that.

Many cultures treat mentally abnormal persons as "touched by the God/gods" and help them.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 5:26 am

magz wrote:
Marybird wrote:

Many cultures treat mentally abnormal persons as "touched by the God/gods" and help them.

From what I know of Plains Indians culture, that would most likey be the case with an autistic member of a tribe.

jedicounsellor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2017, 5:42 am

Before reading this thread, I wasn't aware there were levels to express the amount of support needed. In some posts I read as level 2 but I'm definitely a solid level 1. I need people to guide me frequently but I'm able to ask for that guidance. I had communication issues which I've vastly improved upon, along with my written word skills, via education. I'm actually writing a book for people on the spectrum which will provide my personal understanding of these topics - if you have any other areas which you think should be included, please don't hesitate to share them with me, it could greatly help out another autistic individual or individuals.
I have days where I can barely function because my mood is up the wall. I'm angry about everything that happens/goes wrong, and the littlest things get to me. I have these expletive outbursts, and have little manners or tolerance which is out of character. Do any of you suffer from such angry days? Mine are usually caused by being woken up without "good" cause.
I'm not sure how this "symptom?" fits in with the level system: I'll be interested in something and be happy to endure all the challenges I'm faced with during my discovery, and infatuation processes. Take away that enthusiasm (somehow - it happens), and I'm completely lost. I lose functionality, love for life ebbs, I find myself "hopping" from interest to interest (whichever interests me most) but generally I'm not as happy in it because it's lost its "special quality," maybe. Old interests have been my refuge for some time now. It seems that I'm functioning at a 1 while I have that special interest, but without it I'm so buggered that I function like a level 2; although, at all times I crave more support. I feel down on myself for being (errm) inadequate or something.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 9:18 pm

Amaltheia wrote:
How much it costs to take care of you.

Level 1 — Requiring Support
Translation: relatively cheap, doesn't need a lot in the way of accommodations and services

Level 2 — Requiring Substantial Support
Translation: relatively expensive, going to need serious accommodations and supports. Is there any way we can get them reclassified as Level 1 so as to preserve our profit margins?

Level 3 — Requiring Very Substantial Support
Translation: Holy s**t! This kid is going to cost us a fortune! Can we just get them institutionalized? Seriously, how's that cure coming? What do you mean "Not yet"!? We've been funding research for decades. Can we sue the vaccine companies to try and get some money back? No? How about a genetic test to identify these kids before they become such a burden? I'm not saying we should just abort them — that would be inhumane — but, seriously, have you seen how much it's going to cost us?! !

There's also an implicit Level 0 — Requiring No Support
Translation: Ah, they're functional enough. Just throw them out there and let them fend for themselves. And blame anything that happens on their not fitting in. If they just tried harder, they'd be fine

The levels exist for the benefit of government funding agencies and insurance companies. Don't read any more into them than that.

this is very sad. my son is level 3. i think people might see it as freeloading off the government, when he gets services. even though he gets nowhere near what the assessment said he needed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 7:35 pm

Trust me, a Level 3 autistic person is NOT freeloading.

They need all the services they can get.

People at this level suffer considerably, and needs lots of support.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 8:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trust me, a Level 3 autistic person is NOT freeloading.

They need all the services they can get.

People at this level suffer considerably, and needs lots of support.

Thanks for the reassurance.
I lose confidence sometimes from people’s reactions or comments.
They seem to think he will be fine with some daycare
My ex Husband also seriously downplayed the issues especially in front of the judge. I think our lawyers have no idea what he has been through or what his needs are. I tried my best to explain and provide documents to prove this is not a short-term minor issue.
Poor kid has many other problems eg does not eat

But because he can NOW walk the school system and everyone downplay his issues
I had problems with 2 of his therapists too including them not providing much compared to what was promised and recommended by the assessment even.
He is an extremely beautiful, sweet and brave child.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 8:47 pm

Does he have conversational speech?

(I won't judge if he does).

I hope you wouldn't mind describing him a little.

I won't judge----because I'm not there, and I can't see him.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 20 Dec 2017, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 8:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Does he have conversational speech?

(I won't judge if he does).

Unable to talk
Unable to eat
Could not walk till recently
Recent therapy goals he has achieved are clapping hands, holding objects