Things I have noticed about this forum

Page 6 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2017, 4:18 pm

I remember having a sense of panic whenever other kids wanted to play house or other pretend games. Weirdly, though, I do remember playing pretend with dolls but I would only play by myself since I couldn't seem to figure out how to play with the other kids. I vividly remember a day in preschool when a group of girls asked me to play Barbies with them and we were all supposed to pretend that the dolls were going to the mall. I just completely froze and had no idea how to do that so I got put in charge of just brushing their hair.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 4:38 pm

League_Girl wrote:
How I played, I used dolls. That was my pretend play. I have played school before and my brothers were my students. Or I would play by myself and I would do some fake school work that was actual work and pretend there were other kids and the teacher. I also played with Barbies and did reenactments. I remember wearing dress up clothes and just wearing them and I remember when I was in a self contained class, I remember wearing dress up clothes in there and playing with a doll and a boy in my class decided to play daddy and he was the father of our doll. The teacher took a picture of us together holding our baby and we were both wearing adult clothes that were too big. I never used kids for house. We used dolls. My mom did tell me a story that when I was real little, I would wear bibs and carry a pacifier in my mouth and my friends too and pretended we were babies and we even tried pushing each other in a umbrella stroller and we broke it because we tried to push more than one kid in it and my baby brother tried pushing all of us in it. I remember just liked liked wearing them and I found riding in strollers fun until I got too big.

I never realized that there was a "right way" to pretend play and doctors also look at how the kid does it to determine autism. Like does an autistic child use dolls when they pretend play or do they do reenactments or are they just wear the clothes and that's it? Where is the line drawn for normal and abnormal pretend play? Plus I read autistic girls are very imaginative so that is why they are harder to diagnose. I was pretty imaginative but never creative except for writing but I couldn't even do free writing or writer's workshop in class. Like if an autistic child plays tea party, do they use actual water in the cups? Maybe that is what they also look for. I never used water.

I used to play with dolls as well, which probably seems bizarre considering I now have a phobia of them. Only realistic looking dolls though, usually ones that look like toddlers. I'm fine with barbie dolls, since I don't find them creepy at all.

Often I got really into the plot lines I made up for my Barbies, and got upset if anyone tried to change these plot lines.

There was an evil Barbie and a good Barbie, they fought a lot. I guess you could say Ken was the damsel in distress, because good Barbie was always saving him from evil Barbie's clutches. Evil Barbie was your basic super villain, she had mind control (over people and other animals) and also telekinesis.

Good Barbie only had her wits, so she had to come up with new ways to save Ken. My favourite one was when she took a mirror from the mirror World (each section of my room played a role in the games I used to play, and my bookcase was named "The mirror World" because it had a hand mirror on one of the shelves, so I pretended that the mirror was actually a portal that my toys could travel through) and used it to reflect evil Barbie's mind control powers (it also worked as an regular mirror if the plot required it) so that the animals would be free from evil Barbie's mind control, and whilst evil Barbie was distracted, good Barbie tripped her up and untied Ken whilst evil Barbie was trying to get back on her feet.

EverythingAndNothing wrote:
I remember having a sense of panic whenever other kids wanted to play house or other pretend games. Weirdly, though, I do remember playing pretend with dolls but I would only play by myself since I couldn't seem to figure out how to play with the other kids. I vividly remember a day in preschool when a group of girls asked me to play Barbies with them and we were all supposed to pretend that the dolls were going to the mall. I just completely froze and had no idea how to do that so I got put in charge of just brushing their hair.

Yeah, I wasn't great at playing with the other kids on bring your own toy in day. I had strict roles that my toys played, and I hated when people tried to change the narrative. Each toy had its own name, if someone said to me "Hey, what if for this game we called this toy a different name, and treated it differently", I would get upset because it ruined my narrative. Once I had named the toy and given it a character, I found it hard to imagine it as anything else since I was deeply attached to my toys.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 5:59 pm

Things I noticed about this forum, threads go off topic a lot :D .

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 6:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Very true, and quite fitting that you mention that, as this thread certainly seems to have gone in all sorts of directions. :lol:

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 21 Dec 2017, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TehDoomzDay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2017, 6:16 pm

I haven't been on here for awhile but I do believe I know what you mean.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm

The thread went in an excellent direction, in my opinion.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2017, 11:30 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
One thing people forget ...

"Autism" is a set of behaviors.

A big rock might fall on your head, and you develop autism (the set of behaviors).

I have observable brain damage--that is some other condition.

As a result of my brain damage, I have dx of autism (the set of behaviors).

If I recall correctly, the diagnosis of autism requires other possible causes to be ruled out. If you have autistic behaviors that are attributable to brain damage than your diagnosis is brain damage, not autism.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2017, 11:58 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
babybird wrote:
I keep having to go back to the start to read all the points and then as soon as I've read them I forget.

I like the thread though.

Well, you could always go to the current page, and at the top where it lists all the pages you could right click the "1" and press "open link in new tab" (assuming you are on desktop) that way you have said points in another tab so you can refer to them if you so desire. :)

That's a good idea. I think most modern mobile browsers have tabs as well. All of my recent ones have. Sometimes it's a setting to choose between tabs or multiple open windows though. On android, at least

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 3:06 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Very true, and quite fitting that you mention that, as this thread certainly seems to have gone in all sorts of directions. :lol:

I think it has something to do executive dysfunctioning common in autistics.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 5:49 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I think it has something to do executive dysfunctioning common in autistics.

My theory was the autistic brain is always looking for connections and can go off on tangents very easily.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 2:42 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
A while ago I used the word "Neurotypicals" when talking to family, and the reaction that I got was "oh, another label".

I wasn't using the word in a derogatory way or anything, but it was interesting to note the reaction. We do need to be careful about how what we say could be interpreted.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using the word "Neurotypical" here, and I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that people who post here are somewhere on the spectrum unless the explicitly say otherwise, but when I see derogatory threads about NTs posted here, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

In particular, I don't like the thread that showed up a few days ago with a subject line of "FKKED UP THINGS COMMONLY BELIEVED BY NTS". Imagine how we would feel if there were a post with subject line "FKKED UP THINGS COMMONLY BELIEVED BY Aspies" on a forum where most posters are NTs.

The fact that we are in the minority isn't a good excuse for bashing the majority; it gives a bad name to the ASD community.

Many here agreed with my list 100%, including a NT. As for FKKED UP THINGS COMMONLY BELIEVED BY ASPIES, forget a list bro. Just go to the Aspartners Delphi site. That category is pretty much everything discussed there all the time.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2017, 3:36 pm

drwho222 wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
A while ago I used the word "Neurotypicals" when talking to family, and the reaction that I got was "oh, another label".

I wasn't using the word in a derogatory way or anything, but it was interesting to note the reaction. We do need to be careful about how what we say could be interpreted.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using the word "Neurotypical" here, and I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that people who post here are somewhere on the spectrum unless the explicitly say otherwise, but when I see derogatory threads about NTs posted here, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

In particular, I don't like the thread that showed up a few days ago with a subject line of "FKKED UP THINGS COMMONLY BELIEVED BY NTS". Imagine how we would feel if there were a post with subject line "FKKED UP THINGS COMMONLY BELIEVED BY Aspies" on a forum where most posters are NTs.

The fact that we are in the minority isn't a good excuse for bashing the majority; it gives a bad name to the ASD community.

Many here agreed with my list 100%, including a NT. As for FKKED UP THINGS COMMONLY BELIEVED BY ASPIES, forget a list bro. Just go to the Aspartners Delphi site. That category is pretty much everything discussed there all the time.

I think the point is that people here should aspire to be better than the people that post there rather than revert to their level. We're supposed to be more advanced than NTs right? Let's act like it.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 3:38 pm

drwho222 wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:

^
You're the Doctor? But the question is, Doctor...who?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 4:08 pm

Masakados wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:

I think the point is that people here should aspire to be better than the people that post there rather than revert to their level. We're supposed to be more advanced than NTs right? Let's act like it.

More advanced? No. That's a totally wrong way to view it.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Dec 2017, 4:40 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
1) There's a lot of predator/prey analogies,

No there aren't!

Quote:
2) Speaking of defensiveness, some people here have a habit of cutting you off.

:oops:

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2017, 4:43 pm

drwho222 wrote:
Masakados wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:

More advanced? No. That's a totally wrong way to view it.

What's so wrong about it? There is no wrong way to view it. Stop acting so high and mighty.