Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

csk1234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2017, 3:16 am

Hi everyone,

I need some advice about my current situation. The last couple of days my bf (undiagnosed ASD) has been feeling very depressed and alone. It was his 18th birthday and he was excited about this for weeks, partly also because he was hoping to get some attention from people he no longer talkes to. The day came and went and only his parents and me wished him a happy b-day. Since then + also the fact that none of his friends(?) asked him to celebrate NYE with them has made him feel super alone and let down. He told me all he wanted during the holidays was to go out with friends and not be at home alone playing video games (what he usually always does).
I've been trying to make him feel better but nothing I do or say seems to make any difference. He said even though I'm always there for him and he's thankful for that, he still feels alone. It breaks my heart to see him like this. We're in a long distance relationship and see eachother about once a month, but talk on messenger and skype everyday. I even suggested coming to see him tomorrow, even though we weren't supposed to meet for some weeks, but he seems to not really want to.

Has anyone of you ever felt like this, and what made you feel better? I don't know what to do anymore at this point, cause it just feels like he tries to push me away.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 3:34 am

He may just need extra time to adjust. Things often look better after a sleep or three. When New Year's gets close, there will be semi-public revels where almost everyone can feel welcome if they wear a smile. Thanks for caring.

Goldenhawk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Dec 2017, 3:39 am

Depression is a difficult thing to overcome. My husband tries to push me away when he's depressed as well. The best thing is to give him time and keep being there for him.

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 4:03 am

For me, it kind of feels like a wave I need to ride out alone. I become uncommunicative and it's hard to do any kind of reaching out (it feels futile, and I don't want to drag anyone down or waste energy on things I can't explain anyway). I think it's good you're there for him, even just in the background, it really counts.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 1:14 pm

A lot of people on the spectrum find socializing with a group very stressful. You might suggest celebrating New Years Eve together without anybody else.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman