Do you ever sit there & wonder why you do the things you

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 2:15 pm

Like why do I remember every little detail about some restarant I was at only once like 3 years ago, or what everbody was wearing and where they were sitting, but can't remember where I last left my cellphone???

Or like even though I know its wrong, and I see people do it, and don't like it myself like for example interrupting people, I still always seem to do it, like what does my brain just have brain farts 24-7 what the dil??? haha

When I seem extremely smart, because I remember some of the dictonary, or was obsessed with animal planet at one time, and know millions of useless facts about animals, but if I see a big word, while reading something in a book, I just get totally lost, and just totally stop and don't know what the heck is going on???

Why do I always make sure to line up my shoes, and clean somewhat of my room, feed the cats, take care of my lizards, but seem to always forget that I didn't shower yet, like wouldn't you think that would be one of the main things to remember to do???

Or like when I keep track of where all my royal blue things are in my room, and what position their always in, never moved, nice in order, but can't seem to find the shirt I just took off, like where the heck did it go??? and why don't I know this especially since I just took it off :roll: ! !!

Does anybody else ever sit there and wonder why you do the things you do? like what is going on up there in your brain? If my brain could talk, it would probably be jibberish, because it probably doesn't know whats going on jeeeez haha..

Stockton
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 2:19 pm

Yeah, I do. Sometimes after finishing something I feel stupid and ask myself, "why in the hell did I just waste a ton of time on that?"

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 2:28 pm

Or have my little self-censor make one of its rare appearances saying, "Don't say it...don't say it...," and, then, out it comes. :roll:

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 2:33 pm

Litguy wrote:
Or have my little self-censor make one of its rare appearances saying, "Don't say it...don't say it...," and, then, out it comes. :roll:

Lol, omgosh I do that too! And everybody just looks at you like ugh what did you just say, and at the same time, your sitting there like ughh what did I just say? haha, it sucks!

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 3:14 pm

Yup, I do all of those things.

I can probably name the exact location of everything important in my house except the thing I need right now.

holdsteady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2007, 3:26 pm

no, id rather just do a jigsaw tbh

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 3:38 pm

Sounds familiar.

My daughter does this too. When I pull an outfit out of the closet for her (she's three, going on four) she will start rattling off every time she ever wore that outfit and what we did, who we saw, what she ate, etc.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 3:54 pm

Age1600 wrote:
Like why do I remember every little detail about some restarant I was at only once like 3 years ago, or what everbody was wearing and where they were sitting, but can't remember where I last left my cellphone???

Poor short term memory, I have this problem too.
Quote:
Or like even though I know its wrong, and I see people do it, and don't like it myself like for example interrupting people, I still always seem to do it, like what does my brain just have brain farts 24-7 what the dil??? haha

Your very impressionable, Im like this with certain things sometimes.
Quote:
When I seem extremely smart, because I remember some of the dictonary, or was obsessed with animal planet at one time, and know millions of useless facts about animals, but if I see a big word, while reading something in a book, I just get totally lost, and just totally stop and don't know what the heck is going on???

Your learning style is more auditory. Or so it seems.
Quote:
Why do I always make sure to line up my shoes, and clean somewhat of my room, feed the cats, take care of my lizards, but seem to always forget that I didn't shower yet, like wouldn't you think that would be one of the main things to remember to do???

I think this is something no one will know :P I know what you mean though.
Quote:
Or like when I keep track of where all my royal blue things are in my room, and what position their always in, never moved, nice in order, but can't seem to find the shirt I just took off, like where the heck did it go??? and why don't I know this especially since I just took it off :roll: ! !!

Another instance of poor short term memory, I believe.
Quote:
Does anybody else ever sit there and wonder why you do the things you do? like what is going on up there in your brain? If my brain could talk, it would probably be jibberish, because it probably doesn't know whats going on jeeeez haha..

Personally I think its just all part of not being NT, although Im sure even NTs experience a good amount of this as well.

Last edited by username88 on 08 Oct 2007, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 3:54 pm

You know, this is actually what I'm finding most interesting and exciting about Asperger's right now. I think because I'm focussed on it, and my OCD, and a lot of that involves understanding why you do certain things, I'm often stopping and going back through my thought processes, trying to understand why I did something, how AS is affecting my thoughts, and how that's different to NTs. It's actually driving my wife crazy, I kind of need to learn to stop talking about it to her, it's all the same old stuff to her, I think it's mostly just internally interesting to me.
I don't really do any of the things you list there, but I do know what you mean. If you're able to stop yourself while you're doing things and try to analyse it all, you might start to find answers. I feel like I am (although how useful those answers are, I'm not sure).

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 4:22 pm

username88 wrote:
Age1600 wrote:

Poor short term memory, I have this problem too.
Quote:

Your very impressionable, Im like this with certain things sometimes.
Quote:

Your learning style is more auditory. Or so it seems.
Quote:

I think this is something no one will know :P I know what you mean though.
Quote:

Another instance of poor short term memory, I believe.
Quote:

Personally I think its just all part of not being NT, although Im sure even NTs experience a good amount of this as well.

Yea know its funny, I thought it was short term memory also, but I can remember everything, I did that day, where I did it, who I did it with, what time is it, and everything, except where I put my dang cellphone like, it drives me insane! I don't know if its short term memory, or if my brain is just having brain farts so much that its starting to just give up I don't know haha.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2007, 5:05 pm

Stockton wrote:
Yeah, I do. Sometimes after finishing something I feel stupid and ask myself, "why in the hell did I just waste a ton of time on that?"

Lol....yes, I do that and I also sit, too long, and wonder about something I did and why I did it.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 6:02 pm

Yep, that sounds familiar.

Sometimes my brain will go into cascade meltdown and start firing deeply embarrassing memories at me like it's a machine gun, leading me to wonder why I did/said what I did/said at the time. It's infuriating, but I can't seem to make it stop :(

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 7:09 pm

Yes, I do.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 7:35 pm

Everyone does this to some extent, I sure do. When you stop & think about all the things we have to remember in this day & age it makes sense we get attacked by a wrackspurt once in a while. We have to remember all the details to using cell phones (& phone numbers), computers (& endless passwords), ATMs, DVD players, stereo or ipod, etc. You pull someone out of the 18th century & bombard them with all of the things we have to deal with... their head would explode.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 8:04 pm

All the time!

Why do I do so well at my library job, but cannot achieve the same level of efficiency with everyday household tasks?

Why is a 43 year old American woman so fascinated with Roger Bannister?

What compels me to study different countries in depth?

Why am I so interested in the Olympics, when I'm not remotely athletic myself?

Why am I such a "crazy cat lady?" (I'm proud of that one. I couldn't imagine a life without animals in it.)

GizmoGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2007, 9:09 pm

I hear you with the thinking about why you do the things you do! All the time for me.

Like:

How come I can't tie my shoes yet I can dress the rest of me
Why some days I remember everything and then others I wake up out of bed and don't even know what im suppossed to do
I can remember my car keys but forget my wallet,cell phone and money
how come i eat ceral for breakfast and two mintues later my uncle asks did you eat i say idk i cant rememeber LOL
yet i remeber everything about everyone i meet down to what color shoes,hair,clothes they had on that day

very stragne person I am very strange oh well im a freak and im proud of it!! ! HAHA :lol:

~"S&M is an art. Doing it well requires more than a bag full of expensive whips and ropes, a closet full of fetish clothes, or a basement filled with bondage furniture." De Sade~