Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 1:33 pm

I am really interested in who cuts your hair?

I use to go to the same barber every two months or so. That's when I kept my hair long, sometimes covering my eyes. The hardest thing was expressing how I wanted him to cut my hair. I use to very particular. In the thirty plus years I went to him, I only articulated how I wanted it cut once. The other times I found it hard, or impossible, to describe it. He was very nice, and patient. He would repeat how he interpreted what I said, and it was always spot on.

Then I started cutting my own hair with a Wahl electric hair clippers. It was very difficult at first, even though there are attachments that will cut down to specific lengths. The process sounds simple. I do an initial cut, leaving about an inch all over. Then I cut the sides a little shorter with a different attachment. Then I cut around the the edges on the sides and back of my head with another attachment to make it a bit shorter. I don't know if it is perfect or not. There came a point in my age where I stopped obsessing if it was perfect. Okay, that's not true. When my sons lived with me, I would ask if there were any spots I missed (long strands of hair surrounded by short hair). So I do obsess a little now that I live alone trying to not miss any spots.

I had a co-worker that cut his own hair and it was perfect every time. Simple and perfect. He used scissors. I am not coordinated enough to use scissors.

I have one friend who always tells me I look so much younger when my hair gets cut. I think that's her way of saying she prefers shorter hair instead of longer unrulily hair. She's just a friend and I don't worry if I look younger or not. Now that I'm old, the thinning hair on top of my head is more noticeable. Can't tell me that makes me look younger. :D

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 1:59 pm

Before covid, I was going to see someone regularly for haircuts. I react poorly to random people touching my head, but I also dislike having long hair. I did manage to find a place that wasn't too loud, and it was tolerable. The lady who cut my hair did a good job. I'd bring in a picture and she'd rock it. It made the stress of it all worth it to me. I struggled to get back into the groove of that once restrictions lifted and got very inconsistent with getting haircuts. My car died a year and a half ago or so and I haven't had a professional cut since. Now my hair is long enough for me to pull it up into strategically placed ponytails and trim off the dead ends. I don't like hair this long, but I suck at coordinating rides and making appointments...not to mention the lady who used to cut my hair isn't there anymore and it all sounds like a hassle I don't care to deal with. For now, I stick to cutting my own hair.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 1:59 pm

Me or my daughter.

spasmolytic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2023, 5:05 pm

Currently I keep it long on top with an undercut, so I'm perfectly able to maintain it myself. Prior to that though, I went to a place called Bishop's. They had online booking and are trans-friendly, so it was a good vibe.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 5:13 pm

I last had it cut by a barber in December, but am planning on entering the "crazy old wild man" phase of my declining years, so will probably just lop off the bits that hang in front of my eyes for the indefinite future.

Darron

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 5:14 pm

I used to have my ex cut it for me...

Darron

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 5:52 pm

I changed hairdressers in recent years. The last place was terrible. It was overpriced and they were always going in the back and leaving me alone for ages. For some reason, they would always flat out refuse to do a dry cut.

So I checked out another place. Way cheaper. She's a talker but I enjoy the conversation. Plus she's gentle with my hair and allows me to have a dry cut. It's much quicker, there's none of this waiting for someone to come back.

I'm a creature of habit who always asks for the same cut, so it's not difficult to describe. The dread of phoning up to make an appointment is always far worse than the phone call itself.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 6:04 pm

I do. I reach behind me and line it up in my fingers, bring it forward and cut it. Been doing that for a lot of years.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 7:28 pm

Myself, I just put on my hair shaver a #2 spacer and shave my head.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 7:44 pm

The barbers, no appointment necessary.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 7:49 pm

No one. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 7:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Are you bald? :)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 8:16 pm

I cut my own hair. I hate going to salons.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 8:23 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Are you bald? :)

Nope, I have long hair.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 8:23 pm

How long?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 8:28 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
How long?

Past my shoulder blades.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う