Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

asalem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2018, 9:34 am

I can tolerate caffeine as I am a hardcore coffee drinker but lately just one small cup of coffee makes me super hyper and jittery. I could drink 4 cups in a row and still feel normal. For the past few months, things have been changing. Just drinking a small cup of coffee can make my heart race and make me feel rushed and hyper. It's a unexplainable feeling. Any ideas why this is the case?

Last edited by asalem on 23 Jan 2018, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 9:39 am

That's a common thing for mostly anyone who drinks coffee. It's something with the caffeine that typically gives people that adrenaline rush, hence why it's common for many people to drink a cup before they go to work each morning to give them that boost they need throughout the day. It's also a factor if you added sugar to it.

I'm not an expert on caffeine but I'm pretty sure someone can give you the run down on the components found in it that give you that hyper and jittery feeling.

I really doubt it's an autistic thing.

[Edit] I see that you edited your post. If anyone who comments after me has anything to say, just disregard what I posted. I don't feel like deleting it.

AntisocialButterfly
Raven
Raven

23 Jan 2018, 11:27 am

I have no idea why it would suddenly happen!? I am naturally very sensitive to caffeine - I only drink green tea and that gives me a buzz ahah.

It could be you are already hyped up about something and adding caffeine on top is making it worse. Caffeine works by making your body release adrenaline, if you already have adrenaline in your system from something else that may cause it? Very vague theory ahahha.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 11:33 am

^ I don't think that's a bad theory at all. I'm much more sensitive to caffeine when something is stressing me out or I've been ill recently. I also find that it's worse when I've been sleeping badly - as if my body just doesn't want to be stimulated right now, so it fights the caffeine.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 11:48 am

Some coffee vendors sometimes use less water than should be used for the right mix. Without as much water as you are used to having, you would likely get more caffeine as a result.

The idea that darker roasts don't have as much caffeine has been debunked. All coffees have the same amount of caffeine, but prepared coffee must include the same amount of water with every cup or its caffeine content changes.

I drink decaf, so I am especially sensitive to caffeine.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 11:58 am

Are you one new or different medications? Some medications aren't supposed to be taken with caffeine. And of course other beverages like cola and energy drinks can overstimulate people.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2018, 7:14 am

lDifferent days diffrent reactions.

Sometimes even decaf coffee can send me a bit dizzy. Other days im fine with with a couple normal coffees! Depends on tolerwnce at the time, and stress levels.

Healthh food stores do a coffee substitute made put of barley and rye. Its actually ok! Sometimes if im really sensitive ill mix half decaf half substitute for a really mild coffee.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 8:17 am

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
lDifferent days diffrent reactions.

Sometimes even decaf coffee can send me a bit dizzy. Other days im fine with with a couple normal coffees! Depends on tolerwnce at the time, and stress levels.

Healthh food stores do a coffee substitute made put of barley and rye. Its actually ok! Sometimes if im really sensitive ill mix half decaf half substitute for a really mild coffee.

I didn't know about the coffee substitute. I will try it!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 11:56 am

I'm so sensitive to caffeine that I took an asprin for pain and as a result only got 3 hours of sleep the other night. I only drink tea in the morning with my breakfast.