Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2013, 1:08 am

I would like to know members' opinions of the supplement L-carnosine.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 11:12 am

What about side-effects?

Why isn't this prescribed on a regular basis?

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2018, 7:28 pm

Maybe it isn't prescribed because it's made as a racemate (containing the D isomer as well)?

It's an antioxidant, that can also scavenge up a-b unsaturated aldehydes, that can form during oxidative stress, oxidative stress is suspected to be involved the development of a number of conditions (according to Wikipedia) Asperger syndrome, ADHD, cancer, Parkinson's disease, Lafora disease, Alzheimer's disease, atherosclerosis, heart failure, myocardial infarction, fragile X syndrome, Sickle Cell Disease, lichen planus, vitiligo, autism, infection, Chronic fatigue syndrome, and depression.

Note the term development. That means once you have a condition, the oxidative stress (and resulting free radicals) might or might not have further effect. And oxidative stress is used to kill pathogens. I'm not convinced that adding more radical scavengers (antioxidants), will cure and ASD unless I see a lot of very convincing studies.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here