What do people mean by an "Aspergian style of writing"?

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 9:28 am

My writing tends to be mostly fact and information-based. My posts on most sites are typically related to the main purpose of the site (cats, tennis and the like). I don't often share personal information unless I can help someone by sharing an experience.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2018, 1:31 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
.....it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder.....
:lol:
That made me laugh a lot. Unfortunately the image it conjures up will probably pop into my head and make me laugh a lot again at some totally inappropriate moment in the distant future.

I write lots of replies to threads on here and very often end up deleting them. I keep going back over my replies again and again, checking that they can't be misinterpreted, adding extra details for clarification, or examples to illustrate a point. They get longer and longer and when I eventually finish and read back through the final version it sounds like a load of waffle and I just delete it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 1:51 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
There is a tendency, in "Aspergian" writing, to make sure the writer "covers all bases." Meaning that they put any potential detail, and anything contradicting that detail, into what they write. They "leave no stone unturned," so to speak.

The result can be very lengthy posts on WrongPlanet.

I hole-hardedly agree

.....but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

This is more "hard-at-hearing" in style than "aspergian" in style.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 3:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Bravo, Kip!

Very witty and flexible.

It's ripped from this:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3933

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 3:46 pm

Kip just got busted!

(hate to be the...baron of bad news). Lol!

But the relevance of the essay to the topic of "aspie writing style" wasn't obvious to me anyway, because what its lampooning is not particularly "aspergian". Just generic boneheaded illiteracy.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 4:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Kip just got busted!

But the relevance of the essay to the topic of "aspie writing style" wasn't obvious to me anyway, because what its lampooning is not particularly "aspergian". Just generic boneheaded illiteracy.
I didn't think it was conected to Aspergian writing styles, I just thought she was teasing kraftie.

I like that word Aspergian.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 4:37 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
I hole-hardedly agree

.....but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

LOL OMG, you got me ROFL!!

My favorites were: "mustard up all the strength", "it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once", and "I swear on my mother's mating name"! ! LOLOLOLOL TOO funny!!

Oh, and I forgot "pre-Madonnas"! ! LOLOLOL

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 4:52 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Kip just got busted!

I didn't think it was conected to Aspergian writing styles, I just thought she was teasing kraftie.

I like that word Aspergian.

Kip is a HE!! There used to be a glitch in the system that changed people's sex (that's one of the reasons my sex is in my signature)----but, knowin' Kip, he probably changed it, as a joke, cuz he thinks he's funny (LOL). I'm just kidding----he really IS funny!! (I saw that he got that post off the Internet, but I mean he's original in his jokes, as well.)

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2018, 9:53 pm

Sandpiper wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
.....it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder.....
:lol:
That made me laugh a lot. Unfortunately the image it conjures up will probably pop into my head and make me laugh a lot again at some totally inappropriate moment in the distant future.

I write lots of replies to threads on here and very often end up deleting them. I keep going back over my replies again and again, checking that they can't be misinterpreted, adding extra details for clarification, or examples to illustrate a point. They get longer and longer and when I eventually finish and read back through the final version it sounds like a load of waffle and I just delete it.

This is my online life since always. Emails, blogging, social media.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 4:12 am

Sandpiper wrote:

I do that too, but I seem to be bad at it since people still keep misunderstanding my posts and "reading from between the lines" things that were never there! That was another reason why I dropped one part of this forum completely...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 4:56 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Sandpiper wrote:

I do that too, but I seem to be bad at it since people still keep misunderstanding my posts and "reading from between the lines" things that were never there! That was another reason why I dropped one part of this forum completely...

Glad that you said this, because this actually relates to the subject of "aspergian writing styles".

That is one important place where aspergers collides with "writing style". Subtext, and the lack thereof.

NTs often lay thing "between the lines" in both text and in verbal conversation. Aspies tend not to do that.

Not laying things between the lines is not a problem, but the problem arises when a writer is oblivious to the fact that what they have written LOOKS like it's laying things between the lines when that was not their intent..

Folks on aspie websites complain that they get beaten up on nonaspie sites for "what I said between the lines, when I NEVER anything 'between the lines'". And within the population of WP some folks are more NT in communication style than are others. Some folks get sarcasm and others don't. Some folks are oblivious to how they seem to be implicitly defending certain things when they are not.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 6:07 am

I did receive good natured teasing in A-Level music over the number of subordinate clauses in my essays.
The report from my autism assessment described my use of language as "Formal and Precise"

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2018, 7:41 am

It's not entirely true. I certainly don't write entirely detailed stuff.

Boring maybe but not detailed.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 8:34 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Sandpiper wrote:

Yes I had this too, accused of implying something :roll:

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 8:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Sandpiper wrote:

Glad that you said this, because this actually relates to the subject of "aspergian writing styles".

That is one important place where aspergers collides with "writing style". Subtext, and the lack thereof.

NTs often lay thing "between the lines" in both text and in verbal conversation. Aspies tend not to do that.

Not laying things between the lines is not a problem, but the problem arises when a writer is oblivious to the fact that what they have written LOOKS like it's laying things between the lines when that was not their intent..
Thank you plastic, this is a really good point. I am a writer but had not considered it. When I'm getting people to review I will get someone to specifically to check this point.
Quote:

Folks on aspie websites complain that they get beaten up on nonaspie sites for "what I said between the lines, when I NEVER anything 'between the lines'". And within the population of WP some folks are more NT in communication style than are others. Some folks get sarcasm and others don't. Some folks are oblivious to how they seem to be implicitly defending certain things when they are not.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 8:48 am

Hard at hearing style-the literary equivalent of the musical "mondegreen," words we commonly hear altogether wrong.