Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ElleGaunt
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2018, 11:50 am

I finally went out with a "friend" (read: someone who has decided we are friends) and her boyfriend last night. It was the worst. When I tried to tell them about what I had been doing all day (math) they took pity on me. Then the guy was all in my face and tried to convince me to see the world the way he does which is rooted in magical thinking and fantasy.

I cannot stand magical thinking. Anyone else here relate? I'm guessing everyone here relates. Can I get an amen??

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 1:30 pm

I relate to hating magical thinking, but can only envy you for spending all day doing math.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 1:34 pm

Well, depends what you mean by magical thinking.

Does he explain the world by magic when there are reasons to explain?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 1:43 pm

Isn't "amen" an example of magical thinking?

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 1:48 pm

Nice one!

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 2:04 pm

No, it just means ‘so be it’.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 2:15 pm

^^I don't understand, maybe it's my English not good enough
Cheers :)

ElleGaunt
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2018, 2:24 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
I relate to hating magical thinking, but can only envy you for spending all day doing math.

<3

ElleGaunt
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2018, 2:25 pm

Raleigh wrote:

No, "get an amen" means for people to convey that "I hear you" or "I agree" or "I relate."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 2:28 pm

What do you mean by magical thinking and fantasy? Thinking about dragons and princesses?

ElleGaunt
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2018, 2:38 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
Well, depends what you mean by magical thinking.

Does he explain the world by magic when there are reasons to explain?

Magical thinking means superstitions. In this situation this person told me that I should believe I will pass the exam I take on Tuesday if I want to pass it. I told him point blank that there is a reasonable chance I won't because of my skill level. It's a computationally rigorous exam and unfortunately I just don't have the fundamentals mastered, yet. I'm still doing my best and I can see that I may pass it. But I may not and that's just reality. I'm ok with that. A lot of people fail it -- it has a 40% pass rate. But what I know is that if I continue to work at it eventually I will pass it.

I dislike the implication that I should believe something that defies evidence. That is the core of magical thinking.

ElleGaunt
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2018, 2:39 pm

Joe90 wrote:
What do you mean by magical thinking and fantasy? Thinking about dragons and princesses?

It a term used in psychology. It's not an expression that I made up or am using in an unusual way.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 2:55 pm

I have an accointance who is schizophrenic. Magical thinking is basically his way of thinking. It is creating a big mess in his head, causing him a lot of stress and it totally messes up his understanding of the world.

I like logic and I usually point out the slightest lack of logic in any discussion/situation. (which i'd better not do sometimes...)

However he is a good guy and I accept his magical thinking, I let him talk and sometimes I try to bring him to reason. The best way to bring him back to reason is funnily to exaggerate the magical thinking, putting even more magic where he would not even have thought to put it : :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 3:25 pm

Well in time a thread here will spring up titled "is magical thinking an Aspie thing?"

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 3:45 pm

ElleGaunt wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

No, "get an amen" means for people to convey that "I hear you" or "I agree" or "I relate."

I wasn't commenting on the context you used it in.

"Amen" is used at the end of prayer by some people as a magical "let it be" (as I have requested).
This is no different than manifestation or extreme positive thinking. i.e magical thinking.