Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 9:26 am

I am, and I drive myself crazy sometimes. I don't want to go through with anything unless it's completely perfect, and as you can imagine, this causes me a great amount of stress at school. Even if it's a silly typo that I haven't got a chance to fix, I get so upset.

This has probably been asked before, sorry.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 9:29 am

Am I a perfectionist? Yes

Do I do things perfectly? Rarely

Frances

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2011, 9:33 am

Yes, I'm definetly a perfectionist.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 9:33 am

Don't know about all WP but I know for sure I am.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Dec 2011, 9:42 am

I'm not sure I'm a perfectionist, but I did set my personal expectations well beyond what I could manage. Right now I'm trying to work out not setting them too low.

AlastorX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2011, 9:49 am

Yes I am and I am often stuck on the details and it is frustrating as hell.

Last edited by AlastorX on 10 Dec 2011, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 9:49 am

Verdandi wrote:
I'm not sure I'm a perfectionist, but I did set my personal expectations well beyond what I could manage. Right now I'm trying to work out not setting them too low.

Well, when you set them low, anytime you surpass them is a pleasant surprise ;-)

I can use all the pleasant surprises I can get!
I get what you mean though. If you set them too low you won't feel the need to go beyond.

Frances

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 9:56 am

I can't speak for all aspies, but I am.

Diagnosed in 2005

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 9:57 am

I thought NTs were the perfectionists - they want everyone to be perfect and if anybody stands out just a teeny, tiny bit, they make a fuss over it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Dec 2011, 9:58 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Well, when you set them low, anytime you surpass them is a pleasant surprise ;-)

I get what you mean though. If you set them too low you won't feel the need to go beyond.

Exactly.

I mean, I talk a lot here about how hard everything can be for me, but I do have goals that probably push the limits I think I actually have - like writing books. I've written before, but I always write very fast, or I let work pile up and can't complete it all, and it falls to pieces.

But I don't want to be "Well, I can't do anything" because that wouldn't be true, and it wouldn't help me. Finding the balance is hard.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 10:00 am

I am too much of it to handle at times. And then it completely turns around. It's sick :roll:

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 10:04 am

Yes. It's taken a long time for me to sort of get over it. Only sort of. My daughter won't try in the first place if she can't do whatever perfectly. This really gets in the way at school. This year she's making some progress.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

Letta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2011, 10:13 am

Yes I am a perfectionist. Too much sometimes. Will sometimes not done the job on time because I have to do everything correct down to every last letter.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Dec 2011, 10:13 am

I have some perfectionist tendencies sometimes. I try to do things the rite way the 1st time & I sometimes avoid doing certain things or trying to learn to do things because I'm afraid I won't do em rite. I think I have a fear of making mistakes because I screwed-up a lot in the past & got in trouble or had other consequences & I also have OCD & that history of problems from mistakes & my OCD causes me to be afraid of doing things wrong

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 10:21 am

Verdandi wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Exactly.

I mean, I talk a lot here about how hard everything can be for me, but I do have goals that probably push the limits I think I actually have - like writing books. I've written before, but I always write very fast, or I let work pile up and can't complete it all, and it falls to pieces.

But I don't want to be "Well, I can't do anything" because that wouldn't be true, and it wouldn't help me. Finding the balance is hard.

You wrote books? I'm impressed! What kind of books? - please don't say "the kind you read" -

If you aren't comfortable saying, I understand totally.

Frances

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 10:22 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
You wrote books? I'm impressed! What kind of books? - please don't say "the kind you read" -

If you aren't comfortable saying, I understand totally.

Frances

Mostly I contributed to book. I wrote one book. RPG stuff.

Would love to write fiction.