Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

nfopuhfxir
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2018, 4:59 pm

Hello, me teacher gave us an assignment where we have to research a disorder and use a fairytale to represent it. I choose autism because I know alot about it, but I'm not sure what fairytale to use. do you guys know of any fairytales where the main character has characteristics similar to autism?

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 May 2018, 8:57 pm

Do you have to use an existing fairytale or can you create your own fairytale like story? The one potential story that comes to mind is The Princess and the Pea which isn't exactly autism but is very reminiscent of Sensory Process Disorder. The fact that she can't sleep because of something no one else would notice. If your allowed to modify it a bit you could give her social and/or communication issues e.g. Not understanding the social rules of being royalty. Good luck! It sounds like a cool project.

nfopuhfxir
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2018, 9:22 pm

Thanks so much, my psychology teacher is kinda crazy, she always teaches using some kind of metaphor when I'd much prefer something more literal like a powerpoint. I did the research sheet(which was eazy cause I already know a ton about autism), but I was stumped when it came to the fairy tale, so it's a real lifesaver. and you my age too, thats really cool! I'd like to get to know you.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 12:57 am

The Ugly Duckling

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2018, 1:09 am

I would try Beauty and the Beast. (Possibly because its one of my favourites- just stay away from Disney interpretations!)
You could easily switch it so that he is isolated not because of a physical deformity but because of his social difficulties. He has a special interest in roses, hence gets very upset when someone takes one without asking. Even when Beauty comes to stay and keep him company, he only really sees her at dinnertime and even then he doesn't eat with her. And dinner itself can become a ritualistic behaviour, asking her the same question every night. Eventually, Beauty learns to see past his strangeness and comes to care about him, because he is actually creative and gentle and cares about nature. Personally, I would not have him changing into a normal person at the end like in the original, but rather he is saved because someone accepts him for who he is, and he is no longer forced to be alone.

But I am, and have always been, a sucker for a romantic story. :)

AstroPi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2018, 2:27 am

The Princess and the Pea is a critique of noblehood, written as a caricature, so it's not the best choice. I think Little Mermaid is much better - you can definitely see her as nonverbal autistic, she also has sensory process disorder, every step is painful for her.