Page 4 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 3:45 pm

Purpledragon wrote:
Thunderstorms, balloons, flying. I'm not particularly scared of being struck by lightning or anything, it's just about being startled.

Actually you reminded me that I'm afraid of balloons too; I'm always anxious that they're going to pop unexpectedly and scare the daylights out of me.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 4:11 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You're in Yorkshire, right now?? If you could step outside at some point and say "hello, from Isabella" into the wind, I'd be extremely, extremely thrilled. I'm so envious.

I shall try to remember to do that for you the next time I'm up on t'moors. If your love of books includes the Brontes, I could do it at one of the many spots associated with them that are nearby (I lived on the street where they were born at one time - my sole "celebrity" connection!)

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2018, 4:59 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Same here. I experience a very big difference between being in control of the machine making the noise and having it turn on and off unpredictably. When our neighbours were having home improvements done recently, as soon as there was drilling into the party wall the first time, it was enough to make me incredibly anxious just knowing that the builders were there and I couldn't predict when it might start again. I had to leave the house some days because the high anxiety made a melt-down so much more likely if the drilling did start. Yet I can happily get out my own drill and get hyper-focused on a DIY project without any sound sensitivity problems at all. Anticipation and control definitely have a lot of influence on my sensory sensitivities - I suppose in the same way that it is impossible to tickle oneself.

No, the starting of loud engines or loud machinery is fine by me, i.e. seeing someone about to start a chainsaw. It's explosives that I'm not cool with.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 5:23 pm

Rape

Car crash

Homeless

Disabled

Social rejected

Failure

Fired

Flunked

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 5:54 pm

I think I am scared of society in general. The world is full of horrible people and their motives are stupid when compared to the damage they purposely inflict

Also ppl
Are untrustworthy

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 6:17 pm

I'm too old, and have experienced too much, to have much fear anymore. What didn't kill me (a lot) has made me stronger, though the cost of that experience was very high at times. I am very likely to have some recurrence of serious health problems, and have to monitored closely, which our health system provides in a competent way, free of charge, several times a year. I have - after a long struggle to find them - a team of good doctors who treat me with care and respect. I guess a fear is that they might all leave the profession and I will back to square one with the incompetent ones of which I encountered many in the past, who were less objective than I was about the conditions I had, and in some cases knew far far less about them. Many still do not know that people with innate immune deficiency when sent for standard lab tests get false negatives, because we don't have the same catalogue of proteins in our system on which these tests rely. Many still don't know that immune deficient people don't always recover from viral infections that are time limited for normative patients, but develop a chronic viremia, and some (a minority) are willing to learn, most are just dismissive because they think what they don't know can't possibly exist, so it doesn't. Hence my special interest in barriers to good health care.

I fear something bad happening to my cat, and not being there to provide emergency treatment for him though, or him suffering the pain that my last cat did in his last days.

Didn't set out to write the answer I have done here, bit of thought branching going on today.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 6:20 pm

There are days where I'm literally afraid of my own shadow.

I have a hodgepodge of fears, and always have. I'm just a scared rabbit, to tell you the truth....

Lagelman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2018, 6:24 pm

I'm afraid of saying goodbye

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 6:25 pm

B19,
What a fascinating response. I'm very interested to know more about your medical knowledge. I have a complex medical history and I face the same blank stares, depending on the professional at hand. My family has a genetic pre-disposition to auto-immune disorders (primarily SLE), although I don't have it myself. Thank you for explaining your fear. I'm proud of you for being so well informed and articulate with your doctors. There should be a health-advocacy group for persons with autism in the event that their doctors are poorly informed.

Kortie,
Me too. You've only heard the tip of the iceberg. We'll manage by venting to each other, I hope.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 May 2018, 7:48 pm

My biggest fear is something extremely bad happening to someone I love romantically. My 2nd biggest fear is a girlfriend leaving me. My 3rd biggest fear is that I won't be good enough for my girlfriend or that she'd be better off without me even if she stays with me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 8:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
B19,
What a fascinating response. I'm very interested to know more about your medical knowledge. I have a complex medical history and I face the same blank stares, depending on the professional at hand. My family has a genetic pre-disposition to auto-immune disorders (primarily SLE), although I don't have it myself. Thank you for explaining your fear. I'm proud of you for being so well informed and articulate with your doctors. There should be a health-advocacy group for persons with autism in the event that their doctors are poorly informed.

Kortie,
Me too. You've only heard the tip of the iceberg. We'll manage by venting to each other, I hope.

I have a thread in the women's section on barriers to health care and a link to my blog (which I must get around to updating again when time and energy permits).

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 9:42 pm

Extreme phobia of flying on planes. I'm not afraid of planes that are on the ground, not afraid of heights, not afraid of airports. Just actually being in an airplane from takeoff to landing. I watch AIR DISASTERS the way other people watch Friday the 13th and love the program.
Other huge phobia is PERIPLANETA AMERICANA--- "affectionately" referred to as PALMETTO BUGS. But the are actually giant flying aggressive cockroaches! They are so yucky! I have no fear of spiders (i have a tarantula!) or ants, flies, bees (but healthy respect!), grasshoppers, worms... i even keep millipedes! But Buick Lesabre-sized roaches that need FAA clearance????? NOOOOO!! !

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 8:54 am

Crazy drivers and getting into a car accident
Getting lost
Being in a care home
Dying alone
Never making anything of my life

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 9:02 am

Trogluddite wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
You're in Yorkshire, right now?? If you could step outside at some point and say "hello, from Isabella" into the wind, I'd be extremely, extremely thrilled. I'm so envious.

I shall try to remember to do that for you the next time I'm up on t'moors. If your love of books includes the Brontes, I could do it at one of the many spots associated with them that are nearby (I lived on the street where they were born at one time - my sole "celebrity" connection!)

I'm obsessed with the Brontës to a near-shameful degree so, yes I'd be thrilled.
Were you born in Thornton?
I had relatives at Oldfield Farm and on Lodge Street (Newall Hill) while the Brontës lived at the parsonage.
Patrick officiated many of my ancestors' baptisms and funerals at SMAA, and my GGGG's funeral was conducted by Arthur Bell Nicholls shortly after Charlotte's. We were woolcombers around the Worth Valley for generations.

Thank you so much.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 11:48 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

No, I'm an "offcumd'un" (outsider) from the midlands originally, but came up to Yorkshire to study and went native. Sadly, the birthplace in Thornton is very overshadowed by all the tourist attractions in Haworth these days, though the remains of the old chapel are a rather charming spot. The Worth valley is a grand day out, though, and I go quite often to visit friends there. To see it now, it's hard to believe how challenging it would have been to live there in the Brontë's days; the graveyard inscriptions are a sober reminder of the tough life your ancestors would have had. It's fascinating to meet someone someone with a historical connection to the area - I'll look out for the places you mentioned next time I have my maps out.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 12:13 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

No, I'm an "offcumd'un" (outsider) from the midlands originally, but came up to Yorkshire to study and went native. Sadly, the birthplace in Thornton is very overshadowed by all the tourist attractions in Haworth these days, though the remains of the old chapel are a rather charming spot. The Worth valley is a grand day out, though, and I go quite often to visit friends there. To see it now, it's hard to believe how challenging it would have been to live there in the Brontë's days; the graveyard inscriptions are a sober reminder of the tough life your ancestors would have had. It's fascinating to meet someone someone with a historical connection to the area - I'll look out for the places you mentioned next time I have my maps out.

Yes, I have many connections to that area. I was drawn to it before I even knew my family history, and before I'd heard of the Brontës. I talked about Haworth as a child but no one knew what I meant. I didn't even know what I meant. I also dreamed the entire story of Jane Eyre in the course of a week when I was about six (without knowing it was a famous story). I remember the imagery very well. When I first read Jane Eyre at age 14 I nearly passed out because I knew page by page what would happen. I tried to watch a film adaptation but the imagery didn't match my dream.

Yes the SMAA cemetery has such a tragic past. Many of my ancestors are there as I mentioned, previously.

Oldfield Gate Farm is closer to the Haworth Cemetery. We lived on the corner of Main and Lodge, about three homes from the masonic temple Branwell attended.

Cheers and thank you again. Please message me or PM when you are in the area, if you think of it :heart:

Have a splendid day.