Page 1 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 1:53 pm

This question occurred to me today in therapy, where the theme for the day was rational vs irrational fear, and the fact that I seem to be afraid of things no one else is, because of my PTSD. I won't get into the PTSD-specific fears here, because that will open a can of worms I'm not ready to deal with, but I did want to have a conversation concerning fears in general. I think it's fairly common for us on the spectrum to have more, different, or more intense fears than NT's, and I'm interested to hear about yours. My three biggest ones are spiders, dark and thunderstorms, in no particular order. I hate storms because they're unpredictable, loud, and have the potential to become dangerous.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 2:01 pm

As a kid, I used to be afraid to get on the monkey bars. That cost me many friends.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 2:13 pm

Sharks and parties

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 2:17 pm

Unexpected visitors knocking on my door often sends me into a total panic. I often just freeze completely, barely breathing and intensely worried about whether they can tell I'm in or not. I've nearly fainted sometimes from holding my breath because I'm straining so hard to hear the slightest noise that will tell me who they are and when they are gone. I'm extremely anxious not to make the tiniest noise myself, and can be tense and very stimmy for a long time afterwards.

I'm not too bad with most creepy-crawlies, but I hate flying things if they're indoors. Something like a moth bouncing around the room puts me totally on edge, and I couldn't possibly sleep in a room thinking that a critter could bump into me at any moment. A bird getting into the room would freak me out even more, I think. Maybe related to that, being in any room when the doors or windows are open makes me a little nervous - having an open door behind me where I can't see it is very distracting, in particular.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 3:55 pm

Being afraid of spiders is a common irrational fear most people have.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 4:25 pm

^its completely rational.

i'm scared of the open ocean, being abandoned/alone and of going blind.

loud electronic buzzing in particular rarely fails to send me into a panic.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 4:39 pm

People in general . Anyplace with a lot of people. My ex Lawyer was the most frightened I have ever been of a person. I still have nightmares of him.
I don’t know exactly why. He was very angry to my perception anyway. He gave bad vibes I guess.

I still feel so much fear thinking of him.

My brother said my fear had become pathological so I asked my therapist to help. It’s still there but less.
Afraid of driving but I have to.

Afraid of Ex H esp when he has the ‘evil look’ in his eyes. Depends. I prefer to have as little contact with him as possible in person because That’s what I fear. Cause then u can See him. Not so much the phone or email

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 4:41 pm

I think I fear men in general and women too but not AS much as men. Women I feel a lot of empathy n respect for (except XH’s mom because she did a lot of terrible things). But men just scare me like nothing else.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 4:45 pm

irrational phobia - i am afraid of crows and seagulls.

i am also afraid of developing various diseases and losing my ability to be independent. definitely hypochondriac.

oh I'm also afraid that insects could crawl into my mouth whilst sleeping.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 5:25 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Unexpected visitors knocking on my door often sends me into a total panic. I often just freeze completely, barely breathing and intensely worried about whether they can tell I'm in or not. I've nearly fainted sometimes from holding my breath because I'm straining so hard to hear the slightest noise that will tell me who they are and when they are gone. I'm extremely anxious not to make the tiniest noise myself, and can be tense and very stimmy for a long time afterwards.

Me, too. I think it's because I've had an irrational fear of people breaking in to my house since I was little, and I still do.
Bad dreams, obsessive about checking door locks, calling 911 because someone chased a loose dog in my yard. When I was about 4 I used to imagine a secret compartment in the wall that I would be able to hide in if someone ever were to break in.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2018, 5:59 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
...spiders...

Uhhhhhh. I second that motion. I appreciate spiders eating the bugs I don't like, but I still fear them.

Anyways the scariest thing for me is going anyplace I've never been to before. Anyplace!

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 6:06 pm

Napkins, heights, being hospitalized, not having control, drowning.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 6:17 pm

Very extroverted back slapping NTs.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 6:44 pm

A variety of psychological disorders (diagnosed hypochondriac LOL)
Being a psychopath
Wanting to hurt others
Being homosexual/bisexual (not that it’s a bad thing; it just worries me because of the uncertainty of one’s sexual preferences)
Being a bad person
Being out of control
Change and new situations
Spiders
Avalanches
Loud noises
Glaciers (don’t even ask :lol: )

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 6:45 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

may i ask?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 6:52 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

may i ask?

I honestly have no idea. I think it stems from this video we watched back in elementary school that showed a glacier in a barren, cold area with no animals or plants or anything. The way is was portrayed seemed creepy or something. I don’t know why it scared me, but it’s a really odd fear :lol: .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine