Considered severe if you can't live independently

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 6:35 pm

And need a job coach in order to work? What do you think of this opinion? Edit: I read online that some consider the person to be high-functioning only if they can support themselves and function in society and low-functioning if they can't.

Last edited by Lumi on 31 May 2018, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 7:03 pm

How do you define "independently?" Just needing a job coach does not make one severe nor indicate an inability to live independently.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 7:05 pm

If a job coach is even considered for a person, this person would not have severe autism.

Some even mildly autistic people have trouble living independently.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2018, 8:46 pm

Lumi wrote:
And need a job coach in order to work? What do you think of this opinion?

Yeah this post was edited. It needed it. As far as I am concerned no one is independent. If you go to the story and buy a fire alarm then you are depending on the people who made said fire alarm. If you buy food then you are depending on the farmers who grew the food.

But this isn't what you wanted to hear is it?

If you're like me then you come here looking for solace. Except I can't give solace to anyone because I'm bumbling fool when it comes to people. The only things I understand is numbers, facts, and words.

The best I can do is tell you how I became more "independent" and hope it works for you. So will you hear me out?

P.S. Please forgive me when I screw up on these forums. It's hard for me to get social interaction right on the first...second... third try.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 10:35 pm

Arevelion wrote:
hypothetically...and I am being very hypothetical here, what if someone gave you say...$30,000. How would you use that money to enhance your independence?

I would go to a place which can help me improve my independent living, life and social skills, with on-the-job or vocational training in a supportive environment for me.

I'm not sure about how the person meant about the autistic supporting themselves, just without services of some kind and able to work and function (or not without help), they provided four different categories based on that.

I meant to say that I did not agree with the opinion I posted earlier.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2018, 7:53 am

Lumi wrote:
I would go to a place which can help me improve my independent living, life and social skills, with on-the-job or vocational training in a supportive environment for me.

I'm not sure about how the person meant about the autistic supporting themselves, just without services of some kind and able to work and function (or not without help), they provided four different categories based on that.

I meant to say that I did not agree with the opinion I posted earlier.

I am going to side step your original question. How other people define independence is of no concern to me. What is a concern to me is that my autistic bothers and sisters Get. Money.

If you think finding a more sportive place to live and work, while getting training is the best way to achieve that goal then I will not argue. However I have alternative suggestion.

Since the beginning of January I have made $9,000 day trading, leveraging $30,000 or less. Pocket change I know, but considering 80% of day traders loose money in their first year, I would say I am off to a good start. It seems that aspeies and we NLDers are uniquely suited for finance.

Here is how this would work. I would teach you how to day trade. When I feel you are ready, (which will take a long while) I will entrust money to you to manage on my behalf. I would receive a cut of what you earn the amount of which we can discuss later.

What say you? If you need help deciding there are stock market "games" where you can practice trading stocks without actually venturing or gaining money.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 6:56 pm

Arevelion wrote:
What say you? If you need help deciding there are stock market "games" where you can practice trading stocks without actually venturing or gaining money.

No thank you, as day trading does not interest me. I don't work yet, though I don't think I'm opposed to doing something productive. The place which I live is supportive for me.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2018, 5:45 am

Lumi wrote:
Arevelion wrote:

No thank you, as day trading does not interest me. I don't work yet, though I don't think I'm opposed to doing something productive. The place which I live is supportive for me.

I see. A sad loss for the world of finance, but please keep me in mind if you have a change of heart, or need capital for something else. I wish the best of luck to you.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 12:35 pm

Arevelion wrote:
I wish the best of luck to you.

thanks.