Making Public Transport Autistic Friendly

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 2:09 pm

I saw an article yesterday which came up on my News Feed on Facebook the article is from the UK’s leading Autistic Charity the National Autistic Society asking on how to make Public Transport more Autistic Friendly.

Here is a link to the article what do you think? How would you make Public Transport more Autistic Friendly?

https://act.autism.org.uk/page/24292/pe ... racking.id

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 2:46 pm

The only thing that would make public transport autism-friendly for me is banning screaming toddlers, but unfortunately that is not possible. Can't really think of any other ways around making buses and trains autism-friendly. You can't stop crowds, no more than you can stop screaming kids.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 3:08 pm

I always feel less anxious when I sit in the disabled section near the front of the bus because it's more open and you don't have to go past people to get on or off, but people wonder why I'm sitting there and look disapproving too.
The public transport apps like TripGo are wonderful for autistics because they show your trip in real time, so less anxiety about missing your stop.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 3:20 pm

Design buses that don't rattle through your whole soul. I have misophonia and the rattling noise is something I have to grit my teeth and deal with. It also feels bad. Why in the 21st century can't busses have better suspension?

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 3:32 pm

Three issues I have with buses. First is lateness even if it’s 3 minutes late. I have been known to give lectures to other passengers about the disorganisation of a certain bus company that works in my area. Secondly, School runs especially when you get a group of very rowdy teenagers shouting loudly that stresses me out a lot. Thirdly when people I don’t know sit next to me. I feel like someone has stepped into my personal space. I can feel them next to me. The other day someone did that and I had a t-shirt on and there shirt kept rubbing around my arm every time it did that I kept jumping it kept hitting a nerve.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Jul 2018, 5:53 pm

My issue is the buses being too crowded. I may have to stand within a group of other people or I'll have people standing rite next to me. I also don't like it because the crowds get noisy. I take Klonopin/Clonazepam before going out when I may be on a crowded bus which helps me from feeling anxious. One doc said this was agoraphobia, another said this was claustrophobia, but I wonder if this is social anxiety. I'd like to know which one this is. Anyways getting back on track... I think it'll help if they ran buses that tend to get very crowded more often during the times they get crowded like every 15 minutes for a couple rounds instead of every half hour. It'll also help the noise if the drivers told the crowds to quiet down.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2018, 11:09 pm

Unfortunately, I can't help but feel that public transport, by and large, is likely to be among the hardest of settings to make Autism/AS friendly. As I speak, the two forms of transportation that pop into my head are buses and subways.

There are a few challenges I can think of off of the top of my head.

One is that the environment within and surrounding the vehicle is always shifting. people on the spectrum do best in a controlled, predictable, unchanging environment. Unfortunately, it is the simple nature of the vehicles. They are made to allow people to enter and exit at leisure and travel through different environments. In this regard, I do not think there is much that can be done to solve the problem. The nature of public transportation means that there is probably always going to be a level of discomfort to it. Still, that doesn't mean that the discomfort can't be reduced.

Stimuli; constant, unpredictable and often overwhelming. Hear the screech of metal often present when the automatic doors open. Instantly, the off lighting and disturbing hum of florescent lighting above as strange voices and sounds reach your ears, your warning of the experience to come as you step in find one of the closely lined seats, traversing the rough reflective halls filled with shiny metal poles that reflect the colors surrounding them. There is a constant roar of the subway car passing through the tunnel or the slight tremor in the bus. Speakers burst to life on and off, making static filled announcements, as often a commercial as an important announcement about the next stop, often indistinguishable over the poor quality of the sound system. Meanwhile every time the vehicle comes to a SCREECHING stop, people decked in different colors and often affecting your senses in other ways, appear and disappear, on and off. Constant shifting movement and sounds of the city leak in. If it is night, lights will flash in and out. And if the window is tinted, one would hope it's actual tinting, rather than dots many vehicles use which can draw the eye so the watcher gets lost and overwhelmed by them. And all the while, the AC is off and it is sweltering hot or your riding in a moving Icebox.

This is what it is like for me on a public transport vehicle when everything is going right. This is what I notice.

There are some simple ways to reduce the issues related to these stimuli. One suggestion: Do something about the screeching metal noises. I think everyone would be grateful for this one but the noises sets many of us on edge like nothing else can. Tinted windows to reduce the visibility of the changes beyond the vehicle are good too. The little black dots are better than nothing, in my opinion, but not as good as true tinting. I understand the reason for the speakers but try having ones that are good enough quality that they lack static are understandable, otherwise, they are horrible random noise makers. More padding in the spaces may also help with the audio overload. I don't know what could be done about the lighting but if you can think of anything it would be a good idea to switch over. Anything to reduce the press on the senses is a good idea.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 12:47 am

Its been about ten years since I have been on a bus but they were awful even a normal person wouldn't like them, you'd just have people blasting music and smoking weed.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 3:01 am

I think one of the problems with The National Autistic Society and others as well they come up with these ideas to make things more Autistic Friendly like Public Transport and also there was a Shopping Mall in Yorkshire earlier this year that tried out a scheme to make things more Autistic Friendly. Probably is with Public Transport same with Shopping Mall realistically it is next to impossible to make either thing Autistic Friendly. The shopping mall idea was a dedicated 90 minutes on Saturday mornings at 9am where they lowered the lighting and quieten down the music etc. Problem what I wanted to go to the shopping mall at 2pm? I would have to face the crowd and put up with the stress. Again, not a realistic scheme.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 3:48 am

Where I come from, the common cause of buses being delayed is traffic. If a bus is stuck in traffic, what can you do? Buses can't turn into a helicopter and lift itself off the ground to avoid the congestion. And bus companies do their best to avoid break-downs, but sometimes it's unavoidable. And bus timetables and routes have to change sometimes because of profit. If very few people use a bus service, the company can't always afford to keep the service running, so alterations have to be made.

I can't speak much for trains because I hardly ever use trains.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 6:47 am

I use the buses practically everyday. I do occasionally use trains. Sometimes if I travel across country I use trains. I think Virgin Trains have a good idea. When I travel by train I book my ticket online and with Virgin Trains they do seat allocation and they have a Coach usually Coach A Which is called the quiet coach which is for people who want a quieter journey by Train I think so far, that is the near enough Autistic Friendly you can get with public transport.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 1:03 pm

I do much better on trains than on buses. I don't know why that is.

Wreck It Ralph

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 1:06 pm

Make all the seats face towards the front to minimize the amount of eye contact with other people, including the disabled friendly and mother and baby seats.

Have a second employee on the bus besides the driver dealing with people's tickets to speed up the journey. This person could have a seat behind the driver, facing to the front, and in the event of people playing music or causing a nuisance could deal with the situation too.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 1:29 pm

I have been on buses where the seats were to the side on the bottom deck where everyone faces each other. It felt very awkward. I haven’t seen those busss of late.

As for train there was one time I was travelling by train and all of a sudden they stopped the train and made announcement that they had to stop for 20 minutes to do ‘safety checks’ now that caused a lot of anxiety on my part. I thought why didn’t they do this at the station before we set off???

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 1:41 pm

I seem to do better on buses than on trains. I'd be worried about getting on the wrong train, even though it's all clearly marked. At least on the bus if you realise you're on the wrong bus you can quickly ask the driver to stop.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 2:06 pm

Make buses less crowded

Assign more buses or larger buses

Although that is expensive

Autistics are in the minority

What incentive does the government have to cater to an invisible minority?