Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Movapage
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2018, 11:48 pm

So my mom and I were talking about me getting tested for Sensory Processing Disorder since I've had sensory problems my entire life, and I did some research on it and I found that SPD can be a symptom of ASD. So I took it upon myself to take some of the self-tests online, and I scored an average of 137.0 on the RAADS-R Test (took it the first time by myself, then the second time with my mom answering the "Younger than 16" parts), and 133/200 on the neurodiverse part of the RDOS test. I know I need to actually go to a professional to get tested for an official diagnosis, but would it be worth it to even get tested? I'm gonna talk to my therapist about it at my next appointment, but I'm nervous about asking.

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2018, 12:00 am

That's a question I was wondering about today. But I don't have a therapist. I even emailed someone about it. She replied that usually people get diagnosed when they have an issue they need sorted out or need help understanding what's going on with themselves or want medication to help cope, but sometimes adults just want diagnosed to confirm their suspicions.

I don't really need it, though, and my diagnosed friends don't act like it matters, and it would be $60 anyway, so I figure I'll pass.

Since you already have a therapist you'll talk to, I see no reason not to mention it in conversation and get their input.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2018, 1:01 am

Well most people would probably say it wouldn't hurt to try, but I understand that it can be a lot more difficult than that with expenses, effort, and time being factors. I'd say the most valuable thing is understanding yourself and being confident in who you are. If you think that a diagnosis could be helpful in that regard, then it might be well worth the effort, and for some people even gives great relief. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with remaining self-diagnosed, like Aavikkorotta said; you can find a lot of information on your own if you don't think a diagnosis would add anything.

This forum, for one, certainly doesn't care if you have an official diagnosis or not. If you are planning to use some disability programs or services, though, for some, being officially diagnosed might be beneficial.

Movapage
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2018, 1:26 am

isloth wrote:
Well most people would probably say it wouldn't hurt to try, but I understand that it can be a lot more difficult than that with expenses, effort, and time being factors. I'd say the most valuable thing is understanding yourself and being confident in who you are. If you think that a diagnosis could be helpful in that regard, then it might be well worth the effort, and for some people even gives great relief. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with remaining self-diagnosed, like Aavikkorotta said; you can find a lot of information on your own if you don't think a diagnosis would add anything.

This forum, for one, certainly doesn't care if you have an official diagnosis or not. If you are planning to use some disability programs or services, though, for some, being officially diagnosed might be beneficial.

That makes me feel a lot better about asking, thanks. I'm probably going to have use services, especially when it comes time for me to get a job that isn't just the freelance work that I do (even though that's like my only true interest LOL), so It would be helpful to at least know what's up with me.