Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

GreenTeaLatte
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2018, 10:14 am

So I have therapy tomorrow and my current diagnosis is Ptsd, General Anxiety Disorder, and Major Depression. I have previously had a misdiagnosis of Bipolar disorder and Adjustment Disorder. I do not feel that these diagnosis are one hundred percenty accurate. I have heard that many adult women (I am 25) have gotten similar diagnosis before finally having an asd diagnosis sometimes when they were 30+ years old, I do not want to wait that long if I may actually have this and find better help to live a more complete/validated life.
I have major sensory issues, and had an IEP when much younger for Motor skills and falling down alot etc., I have always felt different than my peers and have a very hard time with social skills except I can find "rules" here and there to help, ie ask questions, try to make eye contact but not too much (ugh) while still listening, Dont rock in public, etc. This is extremely exhausting though and I dont feel that I'm being "true" to myself.
My report cards all say that I was extremely shy but I did however prefer to play with others (this is one big reason I may not be?), I was very intelligent but didn't return any work on time very often or participate, I was labeled as "distant" in fourth grade.
I would have these breakdowns at home where I would scream or cry for an hour and then feel exhausted afterward and I never understood why I was being punished. I tried my best to be "pefect" so it was so awful to be punished for things I didnt understand. I also had a tendency to take things very literally. There is other stuff too.
I have brought this up only briefly once before to my therapist but she says she doenst see autism in me at all, and my issues are probably more related to Childhood trauma and neglect. I think PTSD may have exasperated some things but I'm not sure she is correct in assuming it is all caused by this. I dont feel I am getting alot better (some things definately are) after years of therapy and medications.
How do I bring this up to her again and take it seriously without her thinking I am just digging or self-diagnosing? I would just like to take a test or something to rule it out for good because my obsessive brain won't stop coming back to this.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 10:17 am

Bring up what occurred in childhood. Even more than what is occurring now.

What's important in a diagnosis of autism is the presence of autism symptoms very early in childhood. Some of the early childhood stuff might have bee sublimated, though, in females because of early "social training."

Perhaps, it might be useful to you if you read up on the "female" presentation of autism.

GreenTeaLatte
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2018, 10:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Bring up what occurred in childhood. Even more than what is occurring now.

What's important in a diagnosis of autism is the presence of autism symptoms very early in childhood. Some of the early childhood stuff might have bee sublimated, though, in females because of early "social training."

Perhaps, it might be useful to you if you read up on the "female" presentation of autism.

Thank you, I find it hard to figure out what is valid information about female Autism because the DSM only has one definition for both female and male. So I am trying to find information written by professionals rather than those who have self diagnosed. If that makes any sense :/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 10:41 am

I, honestly, feel that anecdotal information can serve as an excellent complement to material written by professionals.

People's own experiences are valid, and should be taken into account by doctors.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 10:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I, honestly, feel that anecdotal information can serve as an excellent complement to material written by professionals.

People's own experiences are valid, and should be taken into account by doctors.

That’s true. I think a good diagnostician will take into consideration nuances that aren’t included in the DSM.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 10:46 am

GreenTeaLatte wrote:
So I have therapy tomorrow and my current diagnosis is Ptsd, General Anxiety Disorder, and Major Depression. I have previously had a misdiagnosis of Bipolar disorder and Adjustment Disorder. I do not feel that these diagnosis are one hundred percenty accurate. I have heard that many adult women (I am 25) have gotten similar diagnosis before finally having an asd diagnosis sometimes when they were 30+ years old, I do not want to wait that long if I may actually have this and find better help to live a more complete/validated life.
I have major sensory issues, and had an IEP when much younger for Motor skills and falling down alot etc., I have always felt different than my peers and have a very hard time with social skills except I can find "rules" here and there to help, ie ask questions, try to make eye contact but not too much (ugh) while still listening, Dont rock in public, etc. This is extremely exhausting though and I dont feel that I'm being "true" to myself.
My report cards all say that I was extremely shy but I did however prefer to play with others (this is one big reason I may not be?), I was very intelligent but didn't return any work on time very often or participate, I was labeled as "distant" in fourth grade.
I would have these breakdowns at home where I would scream or cry for an hour and then feel exhausted afterward and I never understood why I was being punished. I tried my best to be "pefect" so it was so awful to be punished for things I didnt understand. I also had a tendency to take things very literally. There is other stuff too.
I have brought this up only briefly once before to my therapist but she says she doenst see autism in me at all, and my issues are probably more related to Childhood trauma and neglect. I think PTSD may have exasperated some things but I'm not sure she is correct in assuming it is all caused by this. I dont feel I am getting alot better (some things definately are) after years of therapy and medications.
How do I bring this up to her again and take it seriously without her thinking I am just digging or self-diagnosing? I would just like to take a test or something to rule it out for good because my obsessive brain won't stop coming back to this.

You need to have a neuropsychological evaluation by someone who specializes in autism. A lot of mental health professionals lack knowledge and training in this area.

My autism wasn’t picked up by the therapists and psychiatrists I saw up until that point.

GreenTeaLatte
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2018, 11:27 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
GreenTeaLatte wrote:

You need to have a neuropsychological evaluation by someone who specializes in autism. A lot of mental health professionals lack knowledge and training in this area.

My autism wasn’t picked up by the therapists and psychiatrists I saw up until that point.

But I think I need a referral to get an evaluation right? I'm not sure where to begin. I live in the U.S. in an area where there are not a lot of services to help adults. And it is good to know about anecdotal information being helpful. I hope she will take everything into consideration tomorrow. Thank you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 11:58 am

I don't exactly know if one needs a "referral"---but I feel that it is likely that you will need one.

I sense that your present therapist isn't very knowledgeable about autism. A referral to someone who specializes in autism would be in order in this case.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 12:06 pm

GreenTeaLatte wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
GreenTeaLatte wrote:

But I think I need a referral to get an evaluation right? I'm not sure where to begin. I live in the U.S. in an area where there are not a lot of services to help adults. And it is good to know about anecdotal information being helpful. I hope she will take everything into consideration tomorrow. Thank you.

I live in the US. I had medical assistance when I had my evaluation. All that I had to do was call the mental health side of my insurance to find out which providers that give neuropsych evaluations took MA in my area. I had to call a few people before I found one I was able to get into.

If you have a different type of insurance, I would suggest going to your doctor and asking them for help with it. Most doctors are pretty cooperative when a patient is seeking something like this. If your doctor isn’t, find a new one.