Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 12:29 pm

In school where you in special needs classes?

In my first school I was in special needs, I asked my mum to get me into a new school at went to a better school in year 3 in year 5 I left special needs, did reasonably well in my SATS and then went to a failing senior school where I was in Top sets but was never in special needs again. I went to a comprehensive which is all about getting everyone up to minimum standards, so I coasted through school and my strengths and weaknesses were never addressed.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 1:43 pm

I had a learning support assistant to help me in class basically all through school. I often sat at a table with other children in the class who also needed help with their learning, although I was the only Aspie, the rest on the table were most probably NTs but just slightly slower at learning than their peers, still not enough to be considered 'disabled' or 'disordered' or anything diagnosable, so yeah I'd class them as NTs.

At secondary school (years 9, 10 and 11) I was put in the lowest sets for maths and science, and English I was in the middle set. Then when I was taking my GCSEs I was in the lowest sets for everything, except English. I think my English teachers were pleased with me because of my good efforts in spelling and punctuation. But I struggled with the actual work and so ended up getting a low grade.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 1:57 pm

I was in regular classes, but with an IEP. And I attended a lot of social groups for special needs people.

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

24 Jul 2018, 2:06 pm

I was in GATE (gifted and talented education) as a kid. It would technically be classified as a special ed program, though it's probably not what you had in mind for this topic.
I was in honors classes through high school, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 2:44 pm

I went to a separate "special school" from Kindergarten to 5th grade. Ungraded for the most part, on the academic track, though. For kids with all kinds of emotional, intellectual, and social/behavioral problems. IEP's didn't exist yet.

From 6th through 8th, I was in "regular" classes." Totally "regular." No "honors" or anything.

From 9th through high school graduation, I went to a "special school" again, though it was for "gifted underachievers" and for people with behavioral problems.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 3:42 pm

I was put into special education for being emotionally impaired, this lasted for most of school, though I was in honors courses in high school. At one point my meltdowns were so bad I had a personal aide in my regular classes and I had to sit next to the teacher.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Jul 2018, 3:43 pm

My skewls did not have special needs classes. I did receive accommodations(at least was supposed to) in my classes for dyslexia & AD[H]D. I went to a skewl for dyslexia from middle of 6th through 8th grade.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 3:47 pm

When I was a kid, "Special Education" was reserved for kids with severely limited intellectual or cognitive development. The rest of us were just told to shape up.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 4:52 pm

I never was, though I probably should have been.

When I was in 4th and 5th grade, my teacher and parents came up with this plan that she would have to sign a slip of paper every day (or maybe weekly?) that said that I had good behavior/grades. Otherwise I wasn't allowed to play Nintendo =/

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 5:08 pm

Teachers wanted me in gifted program. I'm a lousy test taker so didn't happen. Had no idea at time of test. Thought I was in trouble. So I continued in regular classes being bored but not understanding why. Special time outs for counseling sessions to learn social skills.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 5:14 pm

I had a 12th grade reading level in 6th grade. And a 9th grade math level. That qualified me for "special progress" classes.

I was refused entry into the "SP" program, though, because of my behavior and general immaturity. I was put in "regular" classes instead in junior high.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 5:21 pm

I was in regular classes until I started homeschooling in 6th grade. Then I was my own class. :P

Looking back, I probably should’ve received occupational therapy in elementary school because I had trouble with holding the pencil correctly and with writing in general. I also was pretty anxious in school and had sensory issues, so some behavioral component would’ve been helpful as well.

I had to start homeschooling because my anxiety was so bad. I was a great student, though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 5:24 pm

There were times when I was "moderately good" as a student. Most of the time, I was rather "average."

Most of the time, though, I was about B-C student in the early grades, with a sharp demarcation between math (excellent) and English (poor) grades.

In high school, I did A's and B's most of the time, with some C's, and a couple of failures (because I had a long commute, and I was late frequently). Math was de-emphasized for some reason. I never went beyond simple algebra.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 5:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There were times when I was "moderately good" as a student. Most of the time, I was rather "average."

Most of the time, though, I was about B-C student in the early grades, with a sharp demarcation between math (excellent) and English (poor) grades.

In high school, I did A's and B's most of the time, with some C's, and a couple of failures (because I had a long commute, and I was late frequently). Math was de-emphasized for some reason. I never went beyond simple algebra.

I was a straight A student in elementary school until my anxiety got very bad and my grades dropped to C’s. Fun times.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 5:29 pm

I would bet that you have lots of "native" intelligence. I can sense it.

I don't believe I have superior "native" intelligence. I believe I can expand upon what I originally learned, though. I can make peripheral associations pretty well.

I didn't have much "critical thinking" skills until I got out of high school.

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

24 Jul 2018, 5:34 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
So I continued in regular classes being bored but not understanding why.

:/
I even got transferred to a mixed 4th/5th-grade glass halfway through 4th grade because I was in a class with a lot of low-level kids and one other smart kid and was very bored. But my dad was a teacher there, so he talked to some people and they agreed to switch me. I was fortunate. (I did feel overwhelmed at one point from the workload in the new class.)

HistoryGal wrote:
Special time outs for counseling sessions to learn social skills.

Oh, I had some sort of counseling session for a while. I think it was speech therapy? Maybe? But I remember who one of the other girls in there was, and she didn't have a speech issue afaik. She was kind of rowdy/rough. So I don't know what that small group was about.