Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2018, 5:12 pm

I'm wondering about different forms of stimming other than hand flapping.

I whistle, make a clicking sounds with the back of my tongue, make a tick tock sound with my tongue tip on the roof of mouth, and several other forms of sound effects. I do it so often that it is one of the first things people notice about me. I even try to make my noises and whistles as quiet as possible to avoid some of the negative social aspects I run into. I've done it all my life, and it's one of the reasons my mother had me tested as a toddler.

Since I discovered I was autistic, (by the modern definition, not the 60's definition) I've called it my form of stimming.

I'm wondering what other forms of stimming people do...

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 6:02 pm

I do the tic-tock stim.

I spin, rock and pace primarily. Sometimes I do a combo of spinning and pacing where I walk in a circle while spinning.

I, and I see it as a stim, bring my hands up near my chin like a t rex, and then mess with them while hunched over.

Sometimes I meow or growl (Like a dinosaur)

I sometimes (Under significant stress) Bite myself and scratch myself.

I stand on one foot as a stim sometimes.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2018, 8:17 pm

Arganger wrote:
I do the tic-tock stim.

I spin, rock and pace primarily. Sometimes I do a combo of spinning and pacing where I walk in a circle while spinning.

I, and I see it as a stim, bring my hands up near my chin like a t rex, and then mess with them while hunched over.

Standing on one foot, I like that one. I used to do something similar in boot camp when standing in formation. I would stand on the sides of my feet, with my ankles bent at 45 degrees. Something I could do while standing in formation with out the drill sergeant noticing. I totally forgot that I used to do that.

Last edited by FallingDownMan on 02 Aug 2018, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 8:27 pm

FallingDownMan wrote:
Arganger wrote:
I do the tic-tock stim.

Standing on one foot, I like that one. I used to do something similar in boot camp when standing in formation. I would stand on the sides of my feet, with my ankles bent at 45 degrees. Something I could do while standing in formation with out the drill sergeant noticing. I totally forgot that I used to do that.

I used to walk on the sides of my feet during gym

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

boating_taxonomist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2018, 8:53 am

I'm not sure there's really a 'normal' form of stimming. Hand flapping and rocking might be the one often cited by professionals, and the most easily recognised, but people can and do stim in all sorts of ways.

See: http://what-is-stimming.org

When I'm alone, I verbally/vocally stim a lot (which is funny because if you asked most people that knew me they'd say I was pretty quiet, except by myself I rarely shut up). I make all sorts of noises (today appears to be smacking my lips to make a popping sound which is quite frequently my go-to sound, yesterday was going 'buh-buh-buh' over and over), hum, repetitively sing lyrics from songs, quote TV and film shows, make my own 'sound affects', echo other things (self service check outs, animals...). I try not to do those things in public because I know it makes me look like a weirdo, though I do sometimes under my breath. My other most common ones are scrunching my toes, jiggling my ankle, and I repetitively rub the side of my middle finger against my thumb.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 9:17 am

Hand flapping and rocking get mentioned the most because those are two telltale signs doctors look for in very small children.

The form of stimming doesn't matter. What matters is why it's happening. If it's happening because of autism then it's autistic stimming, whatever it is.

Making noises is a common autistic stim.

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2018, 12:38 pm

I‘m making weird noises. My alltime favourites are the star wars laser, the helicopter, the pistol and the horse :lol:

Sometimes when I‘m worried, I pace alot and touch two specific points at both ends in the room, maybe that counts as an obsession?

RAADS-R: 134

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2018, 12:44 pm

I rock and also jump or move around a lot and walk in circles.

When in public I only walk fast which helps

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 1:01 pm

Lorrent wrote:
Sometimes when I‘m worried, I pace alot and touch two specific points at both ends in the room, maybe that counts as an obsession?

I do something very similar, but with a light switch. I pace back and forth while turning the dial thing. I have never really considered it an obsession (obsessions for me are more intense than that) but I definitely see it as a self-stimulatory behavior.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2018, 2:34 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Lorrent wrote:

I do something very similar, but with a light switch. I pace back and forth while turning the dial thing. I have never really considered it an obsession (obsessions for me are more intense than that) but I definitely see it as a self-stimulatory behavior.

What are obsessions for you? I don‘t think I ever had any.

RAADS-R: 134

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 4:21 pm

Lorrent wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Lorrent wrote:

What are obsessions for you? I don‘t think I ever had any.

Obsessions for me can be positive or negative, but they basically are intense and pop into my head throughout the day without concious effort. Special interests are an example of obsessions, although they don't have to be to that degree all the time. It's like something that you just can't ignore until you perform a compulsion, whether the compulsion is negative (needing to repeatedly ask for reassurance that you didn't hurt somebody, or constantly needing to wash your hands) or positive (researching a lot about a favorite topic that is obsessive in nature).

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 6:57 pm

some that come to mind are alternating stretches, hand mudras, pressure point kneading, playing a shinobue/ocarina to make pleasing repetitive melodies/noises, following the grain of wood/bamboo with fingertips, pacing patterns on tiled floor, and dragging a granite pestle around the inside of the accompanying mortar for motion, sound and feeling.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:56 pm

I pace, circle the room, hum a bit. I rub my feet together. Shake my leg.

When it comes to rocking never done it.

Hand flapping yes but have not done that for years not since I was a child. If I do it is involuntary.

Rukkus

06 Aug 2018, 6:41 am

pacing, rubbing my hand back and forth across my knuckles quickly