Autism at 28 - Scared of Thunderstorms

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 5:37 pm

skibum wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
It's not abnormal for people to dislike thunderstorms, especially if they had a bad experience with lightning.

I'm afraid of snow.
why are you afraid of snow?

It's an irrational anxiety. The UK is built for rain but not for snow, so everything comes to a standstill when we just get a flurry, and buses become unreliable.
Also I don't like seeing the ground covered. I like to see the grass. And I dislike walking on icy pavements.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2018, 4:31 am

I actually kind of like thunderstorms. They look really cool, especially at night (in fact, there was one just last night where I live).

Hint: Where there's thunder, there's lightning. If there were a crack of thunder loud enough to startle you, it's highly unlikely you wouldn't get at least a second or two of warning with the lightning strike. That being said, I did get my house struck by lightning once before, and the flash and crack came at the exact same time.

I can do without strikes on my house or large sized hail/tornadoes though. Thank goodness the latter two are rare where I live... that being said, there was a severe thunderstorm with hail the size of loonies not a fifteen-minute drive away from my house a couple days ago. In this changing climate, I've learned to expect the unexpected.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 4:51 am

You can move to somewhere without a lot of thunderstorms. The west coast of North America is pretty good. We average about 1 - 2 per year. Check this map. http://lightningsafety.com/nlsi_info/li ... tning.html Avoid the tropics. :D

rileydaboss2000
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2018, 8:09 am

I'm not afraid of thunderstorms, as I find them really interesting and somewhat fascinating to witness, however the sudden lightning and loud thunder afterwards can startle me greatly if I was not expecting it at first, which still happens but less frequent...