Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

NMCB3299
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2018, 12:08 pm

Basically, you wanted that diagnosis which led to you being railroaded from a decent job. Why?? Did you think it would give you some sort of special treatment or money at work opposed to the mistreatment you got? I can't fathom why you wanted such a diagnosis and could not let things be. Now it is Anne Hegertty who has the well paying job on The Chase not you. She would be considered the minority who is doing well due to her condition while the majority are marginalized or chronically unemployed.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2018, 2:43 pm

NMCB3299 wrote:
Basically, you wanted that diagnosis which led to you being railroaded from a decent job. Why?? Did you think it would give you some sort of special treatment or money at work opposed to the mistreatment you got? I can't fathom why you wanted such a diagnosis and could not let things be. Now it is Anne Hegertty who has the well paying job on The Chase not you. She would be considered the minority who is doing well due to her condition while the majority are marginalized or chronically unemployed.

I think this was a reply to MrMacPhisto:
MrMacPhisto wrote:
Now the psychologist contacted my workplace to inform them the news as the psychologist knew I wouldn’t say anything. One that same day that evening there was a TV show on where they had an Autistic character on this particular episode and it was such a bad portrayal. The boss thought I was turning into that person and I got laughed at and bullied which lead to me leaving which was sad as the day before the diagnosis I was told I had a promising career.

I don't think he wanted special treatment, he was just disclosing his diagnosis so he wouldn't get fired for having difficulties (something lots of us experience).

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 3:00 pm

Adamantus wrote:
NMCB3299 wrote:

I think this was a reply to MrMacPhisto:
MrMacPhisto wrote:
Now the psychologist contacted my workplace to inform them the news as the psychologist knew I wouldn’t say anything. One that same day that evening there was a TV show on where they had an Autistic character on this particular episode and it was such a bad portrayal. The boss thought I was turning into that person and I got laughed at and bullied which lead to me leaving which was sad as the day before the diagnosis I was told I had a promising career.

I don't think he wanted special treatment, he was just disclosing his diagnosis so he wouldn't get fired for having difficulties (something lots of us experience).

No it wasn’t for any special treatment at all but rather clarification purposes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 4:19 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
To be honest I don’t see any point in suing. It is the NHS that I’d be up against and that is such a large organisation and also I tried to go to court over the 2nd diagnosis when they said I wasn’t Autistic and contradicted the original diagnosis which led to me being confused. That did more damage than the psychologist and my old work place. Also led to me living in complete denial as well for years.

Back to the subject in hand I am watching a British Quiz show called The Chase and one of the Chasers Anne Hegertty is suppose to have Asperger and that is why she has a job as a Chaser.

I do not know British law but there is a big difference between professional misjudgement which is misdiagnosis and violating the most basic of medical ethics by disclosing your diagnosis against your will.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

NMCB3299
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2018, 5:55 pm

MrMacPhisto, AsPartofMe is right the doctor went against patient confidentiality when he went and told your boss you had Autism. In all truth you should have disclosed your diagnosis when you felt it was right and certainly not after the airing of that awful TV show. I too told a boss that I had Autism once before a charity Hot Dog sale my old military unit was going to have. I had chosen to donate my portion of the proceeds to a charity for Autistic children. The charity event never occurred because two days before it was to happen our unit Senior Chief was found dead in a local drainage ditch leaving behind a wife and two children. That tragedy overshadowed any Autism drama that could have resulted from my confession. A few weeks after that one of the Petty Officers came out and announced he was gay and our unit had a Village People Themed send-off for him. That was back at the time of DADT. After all that drama what I had said had been forgotten and I left it that way. I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope you can eventually find a job with more tolerant employers and that your doctor does not ruin that for you.

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2018, 9:59 pm

balaam wrote:
A very negative view there, and that must be an American perspective.

In Britain, we have had two series of The A Word, the story of a couple bringing up an autistic son, which was made with input from The National Autistic Society.

Then we have the wildlife series Spring Watch, Autumn Watch and Winter Watch which has Chris Packham as co-presenter. Packham has also made a documentary about autism called Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me. If you can find Packham's documentary, watch it.

Aspergers and Me might be the best autism doc that I've seen but likely for 2 inclusive reasons:

1.I haven't seen many and 2. It's great introspection and an inspiring story

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 2:46 am

NMCB3299 wrote:
MrMacPhisto, AsPartofMe is right the doctor went against patient confidentiality when he went and told your boss you had Autism. In all truth you should have disclosed your diagnosis when you felt it was right and certainly not after the airing of that awful TV show. I too told a boss that I had Autism once before a charity Hot Dog sale my old military unit was going to have. I had chosen to donate my portion of the proceeds to a charity for Autistic children. The charity event never occurred because two days before it was to happen our unit Senior Chief was found dead in a local drainage ditch leaving behind a wife and two children. That tragedy overshadowed any Autism drama that could have resulted from my confession. A few weeks after that one of the Petty Officers came out and announced he was gay and our unit had a Village People Themed send-off for him. That was back at the time of DADT. After all that drama what I had said had been forgotten and I left it that way. I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope you can eventually find a job with more tolerant employers and that your doctor does not ruin that for you.

I think we are going too far off topic best to keep to the topic in hand. Whether I sue or not. It is my personal choice. Whether I chose to leave a job because of bullying is my choice. We were discussing Autism in the Media. I was just using an example of how the media can be damaging just as much as it can be used as a positive. I am not discuss any further on this off topic debate.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 5:23 am

balaam wrote:
In Britain, we have had two series of The A Word, the story of a couple bringing up an autistic son, which was made with input from The National Autistic Society.

I loved the first season of that series. Have yet to see the second one.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 8:40 am

I have been following the emergence of the “autist” archetype in forum groups and alternative information sites. It seems to be a reference to a person with talent in areas of focus, error-finding, and information organization. Non-autistic people have now been touting their own “autist” powers when doing personal research, which is an interesting development.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 8:47 am

Trump won. What have you lost?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 4:47 pm

Well written and encouraging with a healthy, positive message, Mr. Alex!

Jarrod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2018, 9:58 am

Hi,

I am an Aspie and proud. All of mankinds greatest inventions, most of mankinds greatest discoveries and a heavy hand in music and art has come from autism. Autism is a part of being human, an important part. The fickle media will learn when it grows up and stops insisting it knows best. Clearly it does not currently.
I am enthused by a surge in public interest and this will lead to a better understanding. I do wish neurotypical people would simply ask us. We have heightened senses meaning we see, hear, smell, taste and feel more than most. Part of feeling more means we are hyper sernsitive to the stress hormones released when the body senses danger. Neurotypical people can ignore low levels of stress hormones, autistic people cannot at all. If only neurotypical people knew, if only they learnt or at least listened, the insistence of anyone that they know enough now is erroneus.

Any neurotypical person fancy observing rather just seeing? Your sight is flawed and blinkered.

khtriver
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2018, 10:38 am

A search of IMDB produced 617 shows related to autism. I look forward to perusing these. (Use 'ADVANCED SEARCH' and put 'AUTISM' in box related to 'PLOT'). I scanned all 617 and did not find "THE BRIDGE" which begs the question how many shows did not make the list?

Indoril_Nerevar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2018, 11:31 am

Do not get me wrong please: is the girl on the photo playing with a toy displaying the bitten fruit on its lid?!

Jarrod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2018, 11:59 am

khtriver wrote:
A search of IMDB produced 617 shows related to autism. I look forward to perusing these. (Use 'ADVANCED SEARCH' and put 'AUTISM' in box related to 'PLOT'). I scanned all 617 and did not find "THE BRIDGE" which begs the question how many shows did not make the list?

Autism is everywhere, has been forever. Is Britain's centuries of eccentrics not proof? All art has been infiltrated by autism. :-) I believe as an Aspie I frighten neurotypicals as I am eager to discuss that which NT's would prefer not to deal with. I do wish that NT's would like to know their psyche more without fear. We are moisture emitting and secreting mammals that smell without care, we are pack animals us humans, it's not scary. Everyone is flawed, socially we should agree, time will reveal, until then bring on the fiction so you can see if not observe. B-)

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. :-D hee hee

GDTaylor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2018, 2:21 pm

I suggest we change the media and world, ourselves by a subtle change to the name everytime we and our supporters spell or write about our condition.... The new name is arutistic , as in artistic -as that is what we are artists in our dealing with the NT (nitwit) world...as look around read the news...thats what they are