What job / career do you do for a living?

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:15 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I get a pension now, but historically, I did extra-odd jobs to support my vocation and physical needs. I didn't want to take work from parents, so I took the interesting jobs nobody wanted, and would get them right the first time. I expected to get job offers after showing my work, but leaving me off the teams led to far more employment.

One year, I was at loose ends and wondering if my self-education was rather spotty, so I took a job in a small start-up division making helicopter parts. The boss wasn't too sure either, so he took us both to a week-long course. I had to pay attention for one afternoon, about paperwork. In the year, I learned one thing - to use magic marker on a (non absorbent!) surface before changing to the next finer sandpaper, to show when to change next without skipping areas or wasting time.

I have done almost anything to a house, repaired appliances and jewelry, done silversmithing (great hobby, lousy living,) rented properties, built and sold boats at a loss, judged entries in a tech contest, won $100 for ten years work, that still makes news decades later, driven taxi, owned and run a company, worked as a masseur, built special effects, set up production lines, and so on. I've volunteered quite a bit, too - it leads to both experience and connection.

I have also economised for a living, by using a bicycle as my primary transport for years. (If you find your home, job, and shops by bike, they ARE in range - it is a city you never knew before.) I have lived in somewhat makeshift housing, sometimes with wood heat and outdoor plumbing. I make my own food from organic ingredients, so I don't need prescriptions.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

THIS is how you Aspie! 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 1:46 am

from the 1980s until about 2006, I was a civil servant, working mainly in the operating room of a military training hospital.

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2018, 10:22 am

I am a developer now but I started out as a research assistant in the same lab that I learnt to code. After that I have been in development and god I love it! I thought I was never going to find something I liked. I have also been a part time yoga teacher in the past. I am planning on taking up yoga teaching full time for the next 2 years or so and give coding a break. Or probably code part time if I can find a part time development job.

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 12:48 pm

I get disability pay, but also work part time as a driver for handicapped people.

disconnected412
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2018, 2:52 pm

I’m in construction management. I’m a Superintendent on commercial construction sites.

I deal with architects and direct trade foreman. It’s pretty easy working with blue prints and drawings. Nothing is in question everything on the print is word. And I don’t need to be friendly and bs small talk. :)

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2018, 2:56 pm

I'm a horticulturist. A fancy word for "professional gardener."

My main responsibility is to water and maintain the appearance of the flowerpots and perennial flowerbeds at a resort hotel and golf course. I am also responsible for trimming their trees and shrubs, designing and undertaking new plantings, pulling weeds, and occasionally mowing golf course greens. My avatar is a picture of one of the perennial flowerbeds I tend 8)

I'm the only one who performs my job, so I usually work all by myself (yay!), and my bosses give me autonomy since they like how the flowers look, and they have other things they'd rather focus on like managing the day-to-day business needs of the hotel and the golf course.

I love my job, and I feel fortunate to have it. The only drawback is that it's not a year-round job. My "season" is typically from April to November, so I have 4 months a year where I'm unemployed. Fortunately, I qualify for unemployment benefits for much of that time. My employers do not know of my autism diagnosis, but they seem to know that there's something unique about how my mind works :)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 3:11 pm

^^ One day, a writer, probably Peter Drucker or Lawrence Peter, noticed some superb flower beds around an office, and made inquiries. The gardener loved his work, of course, but the company had a policy of promoting talented people. So, to avoid complications, he would "lose" a receipt from time to time, driving the beancounters nuts.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2018, 4:12 pm

Dear_one wrote:
^^ One day, a writer, probably Peter Drucker or Lawrence Peter, noticed some superb flower beds around an office, and made inquiries. The gardener loved his work, of course, but the company had a policy of promoting talented people. So, to avoid complications, he would "lose" a receipt from time to time, driving the beancounters nuts.

My company promotes talented people...but only those who apply for open positions. I haven't applied for those and never will, so I'll be OK :mrgreen:

Last edited by JimSpark on 19 Aug 2018, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrbluesky
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Aug 2018, 4:54 pm

I teach. The predictability of the timetable along with the unpredictability of the pupils makes for a daily rollercoaster ride!

RAADS-R: Overall: 202.0
"Language" : 20.0
"Social Relatedness" : 98.0
"Sensory/motor": 48.0
"Circumscribed interests" 36.0
Not diagnosed.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 6:00 am

I work for a large IT company in a sales team and help to manage some big government accounts. I am office based helping to support our high flying sales people who are out on the road. I spend much of my time working on spreadsheets, complex quotes and legal contracts and paperwork.

Never had an idea of what I wanted to do as a career and just kind of fell into this year's ago. Done it in previous companies too.

75% of the time the job is fine, I am left alone, people know I am a quiet introverted type so don't bother me. My boss knows I have aspergers and has been helpful.

25% of the time I find the job difficult and too much, I get anxious and stressed. I find the sales environment and some of the sales people too much at times, especially approaching deadlines and quarter end etc. I find Mondays hard here, everyone is in, it's busy, people everywhere, the rest of the week is very quiet in the office.

Feeling like I have pretty much had enough of this job tbh, but no idea what to do next. The company are good though, they are caring, they even run a neuro diversity group. They are keep for people to move within the company rather than leave but I have no idea what else I could even do.

KestrylR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2018, 4:46 pm

Engineering data analyst - they actually pay me to play around in spreadsheets all day, looking for patterns!

On my last performance review, though, my new manager said I was "too much of a perfectionist", like that's a *bad* thing somehow!

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
Very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 6:34 pm

KestrylR wrote:
Engineering data analyst - they actually pay me to play around in spreadsheets all day, looking for patterns! On my last performance review, though, my new manager said I was "too much of a perfectionist", like that's a *bad* thing somehow!

do you think mebbe that was a sneaky way of your manager telling you to speed up?

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2018, 6:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
KestrylR wrote:
Engineering data analyst - they actually pay me to play around in spreadsheets all day, looking for patterns! On my last performance review, though, my new manager said I was "too much of a perfectionist", like that's a *bad* thing somehow!

do you think mebbe that was a sneaky way of your manager telling you to speed up?

It was an issue in my work. I had a consistent quality rating of 100%, such that the QA people made a game of seeing if they could actually find a mistake in my work. It came at the cost of my productivity rating though, which was abysmal. I told them they could have it done right the first time or have angry policyholders chewing us out and make customer service fix it later, so why not take the extra time to just do it right? Alas they did not see it my way.

KestrylR, it might be be worth asking how much of a problem your perfectionism is. Maybe it's not a big deal and you don't need to worry, or perhaps it is slowing your productivity down enough to harm you. Best to know exactly what they mean by that so you can be proactive before things get difficult.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 6:48 pm

i've washed dishes, made pizza, sorted and packed millions of tortillas and pressed juice, among other things.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 11:09 pm

Serpentine wrote:

It was an issue in my work. I had a consistent quality rating of 100%, such that the QA people made a game of seeing if they could actually find a mistake in my work. It came at the cost of my productivity rating though, which was abysmal. I told them they could have it done right the first time or have angry policyholders chewing us out and make customer service fix it later, so why not take the extra time to just do it right? Alas they did not see it my way.

KestrylR, it might be be worth asking how much of a problem your perfectionism is. Maybe it's not a big deal and you don't need to worry, or perhaps it is slowing your productivity down enough to harm you. Best to know exactly what they mean by that so you can be proactive before things get difficult.

Maybe you are in the wrong country. When the US first began "outsourcing" they tried a contract with Japan for a 10,000 widgets. The contract specified that they would only accept a quality failure rate of .3%. The 10,000 parts arrived on time, along with another box and a note. "We don't quite understand what kind of defective units you want, so we made 30 various errors for the ones in this package."

Maybe you can do a spreadsheet showing that "quality is free" and that yours is the best method, but it would probably be very wise to arrange for your boss to take credit for this new advance in management.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2018, 12:49 am

I'm not currently working. I was hoping to find a part time job or join an internship over the summer but the only one available involved game testing (which is good) and JUnit test case development (which is bad).

I'm (hopefully) moving into my second year in computer science very soon. Let's see how that goes.

I usually just write "student" under occupation.