Warning: Don’t sign purchase contracts. Almost ever.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 8:24 pm

It doesn’t say what his mental disability is, but I could imagine that a lot of people on the spcctrun are easy prey for shades sales people.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.4829951

Don’t agree to but things you don’t need or understand. Politely decline and that should be the end of it. If there’s a product or service you actually Need, but aren’t independent enough to navigate a contract and make an informed decision, have a trusted friend, family member, social worker or some sort of disability advocate go over the details with you to make sure you’re not agreeing to pay exorbitant prices for many years.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 6:43 am

A persistent salesman ignored my "do not disturb" sign three days in a row. I managed to catch him the third day and gave him a very long, high volume lecture, and had a good try at getting his license cancelled. However, I still have not re-connected with the people I was supposed to be resting up to meet, and my neighbours probably think I'm mad.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 8:43 am

Dear_one wrote:
A persistent salesman ignored my "do not disturb" sign three days in a row. I managed to catch him the third day and gave him a very long, high volume lecture, and had a good try at getting his license cancelled. However, I still have not re-connected with the people I was supposed to be resting up to meet, and my neighbours probably think I'm mad.

Any good salesman ignores those signs if they're confident that they have something of value to offer for sale & the skills to convey that value to a tough customer in order to make the sale. I don't really blame them for ignoring it. All you have to do is say No and close your door - IF you even answer it.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 11:40 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Any good salesman ignores those signs if they're confident that they have something of value to offer for sale & the skills to convey that value to a tough customer in order to make the sale. I don't really blame them for ignoring it. All you have to do is say No and close your door - IF you even answer it.

I wish it was that simple. My sign also explains that I have a sleep disorder. The only reason I own a house in the boonies is because a landlady would not obey the law on giving notice about disturbances, so I had to abandon the community I had been cultivating.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 12:11 pm

Better yet refuse to do business with any door to door salesmen. Also look at all the big telecos as the crooks they are and just assume that you are being lied to whenever they open their mouth. Record everything, dates, times, names and even the conversation on voice because they will try and screw you at any chance they get.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 12:23 pm

Things have gotten far worse recently. I have stopped using mail order, because three different companies were shipping factory rejects with "not worth my time" return policies. I have not even had a fully working phone for years, and now don't even have a phone number, the service has been so bad.
A lawyer friend explains that even though the charter of a limited company has to declare a rationale for it under the public good, there is another legal precedent that lets any stockholder sue any director who has not been as greedy as possible on their behalf. Crime does pay when you can afford the going rate for political bribes.