Only a professional really knows about you?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 7:23 am

You are not deemed intelligent enough to know about yourself. Only a professional who has hardly seen you can do that. This is what some people would have you believe.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 11:03 am

It does seem like that sometimes.

Ms.Berg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 12:19 pm

I know. I have met some who had this illusion. I could say so much more about my experiences but I`d rather stay with what`s positive and praise my present therapist who not only helps me to raise my own voice but also teaches me to listen to it! It is hard to trust your self when having spent to much time around people who thought they knew you better than you and tried to change you according to that....

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 2:05 pm

Is this about not having an official diagnoses? Some people have no idea how long this process takes and how it is

harder the older you get to get the doctor to put you in for an assessment. I do think it's ok to diagnose yourself,

sometimes it's the only option someone has. Are doubts being expressed on WP? If this isn't what your post meant

:oops: sorry, I'm always misunderstanding things.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 10:28 pm

Nothing on WP. An observation from Reddit participation . Not having an official diagnosis comes into it.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 2:54 am

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 9:32 am

firemonkey wrote:
You are not deemed intelligent enough to know about yourself. Only a professional who has hardly seen you can do that. This is what some people would have you believe.
Self-diagnosis does nothing for a person. An official diagnosis opens the door for some accommodations and other benefits that not having an official diagnosis will not.

Besides, it takes a professional eye to discern the difference between conditions that have overlapping symptoms.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 9:38 am

A professional diagnosis is preferable.

But professionals aren't infallible beings.

The diagnosis should be used in complement to your own personal observations and feelings. One should seek the advice of a professional when it comes to medication (especially).

Wouldn't it be nice if autism (in and of itself) had a blood test?

Professionals are like GPS systems. They are good for when you are lost; but not so good when you don't notice they are guiding you towards the railroad tracks. There are times when one must use one's common sense; otherwise, one willl get hit by the train. One sometimes has to be one's own guide.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 1:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
Self-diagnosis does nothing for a person. An official diagnosis opens the door for some accommodations and other benefits that not having an official diagnosis will not.

Besides, it takes a professional eye to discern the difference between conditions that have overlapping symptoms.
I did learn some things from my assessment that have been very helpful that I don't think I would

otherwise have learned, but there are no accommodations or benefits and no doors open.

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Sep 2018, 1:42 pm

Fnord makes me feel quite unwelcome here. I stopped posting for ages and instead just lurk around. I’m super sensitive to feeling unwanted. I tried to block him but it didn’t work.

Self diagnosis has helped me immensely. Learning about autistic burnout on here saved me last year. It has also helped a couple of my younger family members. After explaining to them what I’ve learned about autism they recognize it in themselves.

I don’t need accomodations. Working in an office caused me 9 months of burnout. I can’t do it. I do contract work from home these days with my boyfriend and he is so patient with me and my struggles. As an adult in my country there is nothing available to help me and I’m so sensitive to medications that I try to stay away from them. If I somehow manage to have an extra $5000 in my bank account some day I might go for an evaluation. But right now I don’t need it and I can’t afford it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 2:23 pm

leahbear wrote:
Fnord makes me feel quite unwelcome here. I stopped posting for ages and instead just lurk around. I’m super sensitive to feeling unwanted. I tried to block him but it didn’t work.
I do not 'make' anyone feel anything. No one can be 'made' to feel anything without their own cooperation throught a public website. Do not blame me for your feelings.
leahbear wrote:
Self diagnosis has helped me immensely. Learning about autistic burnout on here saved me last year. It has also helped a couple of my younger family members. After explaining to them what I’ve learned about autism they recognize it in themselves.
Good for you. I just hope that you got it right.
leahbear wrote:
I don’t need accommodations. Working in an office caused me 9 months of burnout.
Did they make accommodations for you? Did you ask for them? Did you explain to them your needs?
leahbear wrote:
I do contract work from home these days with my boyfriend and he is so patient with me and my struggles. As an adult in my country there is nothing available to help me and I’m so sensitive to medications that I try to stay away from them. If I somehow manage to have an extra $5000 in my bank account some day I might go for an evaluation. But right now I don’t need it and I can’t afford it.
If you've adapted to whatever conditions you have, and you are contributing to your own upkeep, then you'll receive no argument from me for that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 2:39 pm

I was helped immensely by professional therapists when I was in a rehab from a really bad situation. Much more than the average patient. So maybe it depends on the Aspie?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 3:21 pm

BTDT wrote:
I was helped immensely by professional therapists when I was in a rehab from a really bad situation. Much more than the average patient. So maybe it depends on the Aspie?

This sounds like you mean the help goes according to the need of the Aspie, is that what you meant? I was not

allowed to make an appointment to see a nurse at the reception at the doctors, I was told to telephone in the

morning and discus the problem over the phone and be given an appointment for that day. I explained at reception

that I was autistic, and that I was unable to do this but that I was happy to wait for my appointment but no. In

the end I had to change doctors surgeries, to one with a different system for making appointments. No one at

either surgeries has read my assessment which explains the phone thing along with other stuff.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 3:26 pm

leahbear wrote:
. I’m super sensitive to feeling unwanted.
I'm like that too. :flower: have some flowers and know that lots of people want you to be here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2018, 3:39 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
leahbear wrote:
. I’m super sensitive to feeling unwanted.
I'm like that too. :flower: have some flowers and know that lots of people want you to be here.
Now I feel stupid; that's probably what I should have said.

@leahbear: You are welcome here. Please do not take me too seriously, as I mean no harm (it just seems that way, sometimes). I hope that you will forgive me, and I will try to remember that you are sensitive to rejection.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2018, 4:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Please do tell what doors will open for me when I get an official diagnoses?