Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Would You Use a Sensory Bubble if it existed?
Yes 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
No 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Maybe 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
I Don't Know 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Some Other Opinion in the Comments Below 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

08 Sep 2018, 6:18 am

Hi Everyone:

I just had a bomb idea. I want to create a "sensory bubble". This bubble would allow the person on the inside to control their environemnt in the following ways:

control all environmental factors inside the bubble such as temperature, internal lighting, sound, etc.
control how all external environmental factors interact with the inside of the bubble.
all modifications would be controlled from a software on phone, tablet, or desktop or web called Environment Manager.

Here are some examples of use of the sensory bubble if such a technology existed and i were to have it:

I'm at taco bell and a family comes in, cue screaming children. From Environment Manager, I choose "audio" then "external inputs" and then I see all possible sources of sound in the external environment like an audio mixer. I would see channels for everyone at my table, all staff, equipment, and channels for everyone else in the building. I find the channel for the screaming child or children and either lower the volume or mute the channel. These modifications only effect me or anyone else on the inside of the bubble
if it's too bright, I could either dim/tint the bubble itself or raise or lower the individual light sources.

Environment Manager would allow for presets thus my taco bell preset would be:

internal temperature set to 72 degrees F.
mute all audio channels except all staff, the various equipment channels, and the channels of the people I'm with if any.
disallow all external physical contact
disallow all smells but the smell of the food
dim all lighting
tint the bubble itself to disallow external people from seeing into the bubble
allow me to see out

I could then allow certain people through the bubble to say hand me my food and my change. the bubble could also be remotely managed over the web if needed and allowed by me.

this is just a thought. Please improve on it in the comments below. Would you use a sensory bubble if it existed?

- more than likely on a mobile device

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 6:25 am

A sort of similar concept is the “bubble” which John Travolta stayed in because his character had an absent immune system—look up the movie “Bubble Boy.”

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 3:06 pm

I know a very creative someone, who has made herself a sensory bubble: A toy-tent, painted black inside and filled with pillows - and wonderful glittering stuff of all colors :D (I may be a tiny bit envious)

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2018, 3:10 pm

I don't know how practical it would be for use outside the house, but if I had one at home I am afraid I might never come out. :lol:

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

08 Sep 2018, 3:13 pm

If I had a bubble I’d only come out for showers and to sleep.

- more than likely on a mobile device

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2018, 3:18 pm

I voted no, not because I thought it was a bad idea (it's a really interesting concept, actually) but because I don't really suffer enough for things like this to bother me. The worst I get is slight anxiety.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2018, 3:54 pm

Yeah...and I suspect, that getting used to the protection of a bubble might lead to heightened anxiety.
I am fascinated by glittering things, though - and spinning things - and I do fancy sitting under the table - just enjoying these things for relaxation :D :lol:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2018, 8:26 pm

I had, in a way, during my worst years.
Not the most ideal kind where I get to decorate my own room with settings of light and sounds and all that -- more of a mental one by simply focusing in the virtual world, and not tolerate anything else.

Been in there, for almost total time of 2 years.
Until I took a leap of faith and escaped the whole thing. Instead of crash and burn, I figured it out how to 'fly'.

Anyway...
I'd rather roam free to 'understand' the 'chaos'.
Figuring out how to heighten my threshold, not be intolerant, and to not to have to be tolerant for coping's sake -- to not having to need a sensory bubble or a sanctuary.

But I must be at least be aware, that across lifespan that I may fluctuate into a different or a more needy stage of life or state. And the changes done by age may turn me intolerant to the world, be more dependent of the bubble, and 'forgot' how I 'figured' things out.

My real answer is it depends. Sure, because I may need one and makes things easier... But that doesn't mean I'd want it all the time and stay that way.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.