Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Blue Thunder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Sep 2018, 10:54 am

Wanted to get some input. I have been on meds for a number of years for anxiety/depression but felt dead inside. I have been off 6 them for 6 months now because I want to completely accept who I am. Overall this has been successful. However, I get the feeling my heart is trying to jump out of my chest the past few weeks. Deep breathing helps. Is this anxious feeling where it feels like a caged animal is trying to break out of me a sensory meltdown of some sort? It's not related to heart disease as I can go on runs and be just fine.

Thank you,

Blue Thunder

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2018, 11:03 am

Blue Thunder wrote:
Wanted to get some input. I have been on meds for a number of years for anxiety/depression but felt dead inside. I have been off 6 them for 6 months now because I want to completely accept who I am. Overall this has been successful. However, I get the feeling my heart is trying to jump out of my chest the past few weeks. Deep breathing helps. Is this anxious feeling where it feels like a caged animal is trying to break out of me a sensory meltdown of some sort? It's not related to heart disease as I can go on runs and be just fine.

Thank you,

Blue Thunder

It sounds more like an anxiety attack to me. I can only use myself as a comparison about sensory overload symptoms, and for me it just makes me go numb and unable to care or process whats happening.

I've had many-a anxiety attack and they're horrible, the heart beats extremely fast and the fight or flight response is triggered.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2018, 4:21 pm

What you're describing sound like palpitations [link to NHS page]. As Olivia_H said, from the way you describe it, it's most likely caused by attacks of extreme anxiety. This kind of anxiety could be caused by sensory overload, or, vice versa, anxiety can make sensory overload more likely; but not necessarily.

So, the most important thing is probably to try and work out what is making you anxious; it could be something sensory, something emotional, or a bit of both. For some autistic people, who have difficulty with interpreting emotions (alexithymia), it's not always so easy to work out the causes of the anxiety, or it might be a delayed reaction to something that happened a while ago (I often have these problems myself.) If that's the case for you, try writing down the recent events in your life, and see if you can pick things out that you'd expect to be stressful; that might give you a starting point.

I'd definitely think about getting in touch with your doctor and considering counselling or going back on medication; especially if you can't find an obvious cause which you can fix to relieve the stress.

Blue Thunder

20 Sep 2018, 9:49 am

Thank you for your input. I like the journaling idea. I am better now, I have slowed down my life for now and have my blanet, pillow, and stuffed dinosaur in my car wherever I go. If I get overwhemed, I know I can rest in the car. I've also worked on deep breathing. I do have to say I wouldn't take a psych med if I were dying. That contributed to my cancer and chemo after years on that stuff.

Mattiesse
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Sep 2018, 9:59 am

The feeling of panic? Not even that! Just so uncomfortable that you literately cannot move or you start crying uncontrollably because of a texture. It can be dibilitating!