Psychosis/Schizophrenia, cannabis and Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MM99
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Oct 2018, 5:00 pm

So I've just gotten diagnosed with ASD and my parents, my therapist and my psychiatrist are insisting a lot on that I should never consume any psychoactive drug because being autistic I'm far more likely than the average person to develop a psychotic mental disorder like Schizophrenia. Is this at all true? From what I had read, the comorbidity rate between Schizophrenia and ASD is really, really low and in fact those of us who are autistic are LESS likely than the average person to develop Schizophrenia. Anyone could provide some data about this? Should I worry more than the average person about developing psychosis due to smoking pot for example?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 9:23 pm

If cannabis caused schizophrenia then you would expect that as the prevalence of cannabis use increased then schizophrenia would increase proprotionately but that isnt what we see. In the UK cannabis use has increased 40 times since the 60s but the number of people being diagnosed with psychosis has remained flat. Cannabis use doesn't lead to schizophrenia rather schizophrenia leads to cannabis use.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9210248

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/schi ... way-around

So go ahead and ignore your doctors on the topic of cannabis, most doctors are clueless on that topic and rely on reefer madness propaganda to support their ignorant beliefs and negative bias towards cannabis.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 9:28 pm

You should tell them it's not their decision.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 11:23 pm

Are you taking any other medication?