Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

NicoleC
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2018, 10:56 am

My husband has just been diagnosed HFA. He currently has no relationship with my parents. The biggest concerns they have with him are that they see a man who shows almost no emotions, shows no affection towards me, is anti-social, can't keep a job etc etc. They have no idea about his diagnoses and he doesn't want me to tell them. I don't expect them knowing will magically fix the relationship. But I really believe that if they knew then alot of his behaviours would make sense. It is very difficult for NT people to understand how ND people show love and affection. I would never betray his trust and tell my family without his approval, but can anyone with a similar story/experience advise me on this? I know I must have patience and that this is new for him too but it's like having the answer to a huge question but not being able to give it.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 2:07 pm

He seems to be nearly totally rational and doesn't even know how to develop such kind of emotions.

May be he can try following:
viewtopic.php?t=368901#p8033193

May be you can help him to stop suppressing emotions. Make it a game. Let him guess your emotions and tell him if he is right or not. Additionally he has to learn to feel and to like the nice things around him. And to feel you even with closed eyes and to guess what you want and what you like or dislike. Listen to music that you both like. Try dancing and having fun together. Try to never being mad at him otherwise he stops feeling good for you and he should try to feel always good for you. Say always what you like or dislike and tell him the reason so he can learn to follow you with your emotions. It's a long way like learning a new language. You both have to be patient but may be he improves the more he tries. The human brain is able to learn even the emotional part. But it takes time. :wink: