No one will talk to me on social media. Why ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 5:12 pm

I feel maybe I take it too personally on social media when most of the time I use it I don't get spoken to by anyone even by people who know me in the real world and people I'm 'friends' with but actually not. I used to find social media interesting to use and engage with people, I used to upload interesting photos and stuff in order to fit in with the social media community but eventually I found it frustrating as I wasn't getting as many likes, comments or messages from people and I then resorted to writing negative posts and stuff (e.g. 'Sigh... I feel very low today) as means to get people to talk and understand me though people were finding it annoying, they just blocked or deleted me or just constantly ignored me and it left me to feel like I was attention-seeking bad person and a weirdo. I made frustrated that I wasn't fitting in with the crowd and people wouldn't give me chance. Nearly all the time I would just post negative statuses and ranting and complain about why no one wants to talk to me, but don't do it as much now, I seem to find it pointless. Social media is always leaving me with feelings of jealousy that everyone else is living more interesting and exciting lives than I am and feeling like they are better than me, seeing all those photos out in bars having a drink with friends, out somewhere exciting for the day or a holiday somewhere and couples having a great time. It all makes me feel and look like an unlikable loser whose missing out on life. I also don't post any interesting stuff to talk about or photos on social media anymore because no one commented on it before so I don't see the point, all I do is just scroll through the news feed and that's it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 5:22 pm

I think you answered your own question =)

Social media is for people to complain and try to get attention, or to post stupid memes that everyone will scroll past. Photos of dinner/bars/cats/etc. That's about it.

Nobody wants to chat, they just want to scroll through while they're supposed to be working, or watching the kids, or whatever. It's just a pointless distraction from Real Life.

Lil_miss_lois
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2018, 5:39 pm

"Nearly all the time I would just post negative statuses and ranting and complain about why no one wants to talk to me"

Erm, that's probably why they don't want to talk to you... we want to be friends with joyful, friendly people, doesn't sound like you're putting out a very friendly vibe.

On social media people tend to communicate most with those they talk to through other mediums, or that they're attracted to. If you want to connect with people would it be better to try a more direct approach? Try and connect with people over what THEY like to talk about?

It does seem to be a common theme on here people complaining that others don't talk to them or want to date them. Like it frustrates me, I have zero friends, but I don't feel the need to berate people for not being my friend... seems to be alot of resentment against NTs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 6:09 pm

chris1989 wrote:
No one will talk to me on social media. Why?

WARNING: I'm gonna take the direct route, so if you are easily offended, then please skip over this post.

There may be many reasons why people won't talk to you on social media. Maybe they thought that:

• You seemed to be a bad person
• You seemed to be a weirdo
• You seemed to be seeking attention
• You were complaining
• You were posting negative statuses
• You were ranting
• You weren't fitting in
• You weren't interesting
• Your topics and photos weren't interesting

These are just guesses based on what you posted; so if they don't apply to you, then don't bother replying.

MarryKate
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2018, 8:55 am

Yeah that’s why I don’t use social media. Well except for this site but no one knows who I am so

I agree with some of
These answers maybe you put off a negative vibe by complaining?

There’s this one guy I was friends with on Facebook he would say how ugly and how everyone hates him all the time his post would get like a 100 likes and hearts and people would comment how much they love him :roll:

I guess it works for some people I don’t know

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 9:05 am

MarryKate wrote:
... There’s this one guy I was friends with on Facebook he would say how ugly and how everyone hates him all the time his post would get like a 100 likes and hearts and people would comment how much they love him...
Didja ever stop to think that maybe he wants it that way?

Think about it. For some people, the only reason they post seems to be to complain; and the only people they respond to are those who pour on the sympathy. Everyone else is an enemy to them.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 6:05 pm

Lil_miss_lois wrote:
It does seem to be a common theme on here people complaining that others don't talk to them or want to date them. Like it frustrates me, I have zero friends, but I don't feel the need to berate people for not being my friend... seems to be alot of resentment against NTs.

I don't think being NT has anything to do with it, it's just the way our world works now. Constant contact, information overload, etc.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 6:10 pm

I do special interest "sound bites" social media that seem to be popular. I'll tell people what works and why it works. People also like pretty pictures. Photography is one of my special interests, so I know how to work with light.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 6:30 pm

I detest most of today's major social media, e.g. Facebook. Message boards, e.g. Wrong Planet, are much better in my opinion, at least if you want meaningful discussion.