Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2007, 5:20 pm

Today I watched a couple of programs on YouTube about Princess Diana and her life.

Does anyone remember the part where they announce their engagement and the reporter asked '...and you're in love?'

Diana answers immediately 'Of course!' But Prince Charles says 'Whatever 'in love' means.'

Then there followed quite a discussion in the programs of how Charles is SO honest and can't help saying what he thinks and doesn't stop to edit. His father Prince Philip is notoriously like this also. The whole royal family was said to be so cold and callous according to Diana.

It suddenly got me thinking...I wonder if Charles is on the spectrum?

It kind of makes sense with all his emotional difficulties, his inability to show love to Diana, his needs to go off and do his own thing most of the time, his need for older mentors and so on.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 5:27 pm

Hmmm. I wonder if there's any sign of it in prince phillip's family... think they were from denmark (Via Greece). but they lead such f*cked up live compared to the rest of us. who could tell...

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 5:30 pm

Now you mention it...

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2007, 5:49 pm

ZARATHUSTRA wrote:
Hmmm. I wonder if there's any sign of it in prince phillip's family... think they were from denmark (Via Greece). but they lead such f*cked up live compared to the rest of us. who could tell...

hmmm, yes....you got me thinking!

WHY do they lead such f*cked up lives? Chicken or egg? Did the messed up living come first or did the need to live in that emotionally cut off way come first?

Your comment prompted me to wonder about the extremely rigid routines and traditions they absolutely NEED to follow too? Who actually tells them that they need to live like this? No one. Only them.

Other royal families on the continent don't - think of the Dutch and Danish royal families. Very casual and laid back - though they do trot out the pomp and circumstance as and when necessary.

Don't forget Philip is ultimately also descended from the same lot as the Queen. I've just thought, I know a very strong genetic source of AS from several of their joint ancestors.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 5:55 pm

I considered this sometime ago having read of his getting into hot water fior getting overly involved in political concerns, lol. Plus his thing about organics.

NoDisguise
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2007, 6:41 pm

It's a possibility, but although Charles often appears awkward (notice the constant hand in the jacket pocket mannerism) and eccentric, I can't imagine he could be a true Aspie.

Speaking personally, the mere thought of having to meet and greet huge amounts of people on a regular basis would make me want to vomit, and the herculian effort of engaging each one in mundane conversation whilst simultaneously attempting to empathise and impress would be far too much to bear.

I reckon if Charles really had AS, he'd have left the Royal freakshow decades ago and taken up a full-time career slagging off ugly buildings. And chatting to plants. Er now you come to mention it, he IS a bit odd isn't he? Perhaps he might benefit from 'Wrong Planet.'

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Oct 2007, 8:33 pm

It is certainly possible. However, I think that a simpler explanation is that he is following in the tradition of British royalty - not to express his emotions and to have a stiff upper lip. Part of the reason some of the royals did not like Diana was because she consistently violated this "rule."

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 9:37 pm

Who knows!? RH- IS over represented here, and many monarchs are apparently RH-!! !!

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 11:05 pm

The royal families of Europe were massively inbred. In the Winsors, it displays physically in traits such as large ears. There is likely other less visible traits.

Its speculated that Charles and Diana marrying was to alleviate that. Up until Diana, the Royals did not marry commoners. Notice how all the Queens children did marry commoners, and the grand kids seem likely to follow suit?

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2007, 6:30 am

At first I thought YEAH RIGHT, but now you've got me thinking...

But like NoDisguise said, maybe it's his situation - always being in the spotlight - that makes him uncomfortable and thus seem Aspie-ish. Plus, if he had AS, he'd probably have a harder time handling all the attention and pressure and would be more notorious for having meltdowns, etc...Although not all Aspies have meltdowns, I suppose. And who knows what he's like in private.

Hmm...???

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 6:39 am

Autism is probably in the family, it would not surprise me if Prince Charles had a few aspie traits
Click on the link below.

The Lost Prince BBC Drama

This was the Queen Elizabeth's uncle and her father also had a communication disorder and had a bad stammer and was probably very aspieish.

Last edited by paulsinnerchild on 21 Oct 2007, 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 6:44 am

Na.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 7:48 am

I think that he has it.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 8:11 am

Royal weddings in the UK are not so much about love; they are arranged for political reasons. I think Charles felt like he was in a box because he loved Camilla but was forced to marry someone else. Diana probably was in love and she came into the marriage willingly.

Love does have many meanings, and Charles was raised to see marriage as duty - do your duty and it is a type of love. But the common ideas of romantic love were also in his head, which made him say 'whatever love is'.

As to whether he is on the spectrum, ... maybe.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 9:57 am

Paulsinnerchild swings it4me...But his two sons seem seriously NT...

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 10:04 am

no!