Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

enz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 7:30 pm

I cant leave my front doorstep without getting barked at by my neighbours Schnauzer. We have a shared driveway and another neighbour just recently got a dog and the other neighbour recently got 2 dogs. That means when I walk up my driveway I get barked at by 4 dogs. Then when i get up my drive another dog barks at me

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 8:11 pm

Some dog owners act like their dogs are the latest greatest thing since sliced bread

"She won't bite". Unless the owner is psychic or telepathic, the owner does not know if it will bite

"She's friendly". Dispositional versus situational. Opinion of the owner.

"Friendly" dogs that "won't bite" are not exempt from the leash law

Dogs have names and get called "he" and "she" and wear clothes

:roll:

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 6:51 am

Barking dogs used to really annoy me, until I realized something. We selectively breed dogs over hundreds of generations to be good companion animals; to both offer and crave companionship with humans, then we leave them at home alone for 12 to 18 hours a day to go to work.
I feel sorry for them.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 7:26 am

The dogs' owners are really irresponsible for letting their dogs run around loose and creating a disturbance.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 9:31 am

I had a dog when I was a kid but I'm not comfortable with them anymore, I stopped going out for walks because of an incident a couple of years ago when two of them were going crazy at me in the middle of a field. When I walk my daughter to school and back, we're constantly dodging dog mess on the pavement and every time I go out on my back garden the dog next door starts barking at me as if I'm on its' property instead of my own.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 10:07 am

I hate when people don't clean up after their dogs. I, too have had to dodge piles of dog mess. It's disgusting.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 10:20 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Some dog owners act like their dogs are the latest greatest thing since sliced bread

"She won't bite". Unless the owner is psychic or telepathic, the owner does not know if it will bite

"She's friendly". Dispositional versus situational. Opinion of the owner.

"Friendly" dogs that "won't bite" are not exempt from the leash law

Dogs have names and get called "he" and "she" and wear clothes

:roll:

Dogs aren't biologically a-sexual, nor are they objects. They are "He" or "She" and as they are members of the family of course they will be named.

I'm sure my dog won't bite (Though I also keep him on leash, and ask people not to pet him so he can focus) because he has had over a year of training as a service animal.

I need my dog, so I'm going to respect my dog.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 10:47 am

I gave my cats names and call them he and she, why would a dog be any different? :?

But I agree that not only is not cleaning up after your dog really gross, but dog droppings are also poor fertilizer and carry all kinds of germs and disease. They actually have a sign at the nearby pet store explaining all of this.

And dogs also kill more people than most wild animals, like bears.

armandreyes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Nov 2018, 10:54 am

Gonna have to give some treats to the stupid animals

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2018, 11:28 am

I have a strong dislike of dogs as well. In my OPINION, dogs do 4 things, eat, poo, bark and bite. Most of my dislike comes from being bit by the "family" pet, cleaning the mess off of the bottom of my shoes, having my meal disappear when I looked away, and being woken in the middle of the night because some dog heard a squirrel off in the distance.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 11:50 am

I like dogs and most dogs like me. Be aware that most dogs are really good in reading facial expressions because they use facial expressions themself and know the mood of their owners that belongs to several facial expressions. Once you start to enjoy them and give them a big smile or big grin if you see them many dogs like you instantly and even want to greet you and to know how you smell to distinguish between you and unfriendly people. Most of the owners are totally surprised if it comes to this. :mrgreen:

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 12:04 pm

I don't understand how well brought-up people can dislike dogs. Especially the ridiculous complaint, which I'm sick of hearing on this forum, about dogs being given names and referred to with sexual pronouns - as opposed to what?

If the dog is barking at you, it's because he doesn't know you; get to know him. Gingerly at first, and eventually he'll be only too pleased to see you.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 12:10 pm

I like dogs. It’s the owners I have a problem with. Most dogs want attention. I give the neighbor dogs attention & praise when they’re quiet; ignore them when they’re barking. It’s not an instant fix. It takes time, persistence, & patience. A tall order when they’re not even your dogs, but that’s when me not having a life comes in handy. :lol: I can understand why you’re frustrated though. Barking is annoying. :(

enz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 5:40 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
If the dog is barking at you, it's because he doesn't know you; get to know him. Gingerly at first, and eventually he'll be only too pleased to see you.

The Schnauzer has had years to know I'm not a threat.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 5:54 pm

enz wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

The Schnauzer has had years to know I'm not a threat.

Not if you've ignored it the whole time.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 6:33 pm

FallingDownMan wrote:
I have a strong dislike of dogs as well. In my OPINION, dogs do 4 things, eat, poo, bark and bite. Most of my dislike comes from being bit by the "family" pet, cleaning the mess off of the bottom of my shoes, having my meal disappear when I looked away, and being woken in the middle of the night because some dog heard a squirrel off in the distance.

My dog works, which is a lot more than eat, poo, bark and bite.

He honestly probably earns his keep better than I do.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia