Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 11:44 am

In my area, I found out that nobody takes Medicaid for the type of eval I need and if I use my Medicare I would have to pay deductables. Being an SSI recipient who can barely make it anyway, there seems to be no way for me to get this type of eval. I'm stuck with community mental health that doesn't do these type of evals.

I mean then there is no possibility of a straight answer.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 11:58 am

Perhaps you may be able to participate in an autism study for older adults.

What even worse is that if you do get an evaluation, in many places there aren't any additional benefits to be had from a diagnosis. As an adult you won't qualify for therapy to improve your speaking, for example.

An idea may be using video conferencing technology to diagnose people without actually being face to face. This may be preferable to those on the spectrum who have difficulty traveling and dealing with new environments.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 12:42 pm

Michigan has limited services (cough, cough like none) for adults who weren't diagnosed as kids.

There really isn't any research being done geared toward "you never got diagnosed as a kid" in our state (Michigan) The only place that might have had it was U of Michigan, but they revamped the whole autism program, and it's 18 and under. So while a study would be helpful (free), there's nothing like that happening now.

Agnix have you called about the Medicare taking places? Are you looking for gold standard testing or say someone who can run a few test and not break your bank?

My husband had to have the pricey gold standard testing, because he was in litigation. There were some psychologists who would diagnosis with minimal testing (sometimes none).

I went through the psychology today search portal and found people who would diagnosis adults.

Also, it can't hurt going to SSA and have someone explain exactly what you are responsible for using Medicare. A deductible is different from a copay. It might be doable.

What happened to the place in Ann Arbor? A no go? :(

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2018, 1:01 pm

Why can't you get a diagnosis through a psychologist? Anyone with a PhD in psychology should be qualified to assess your issues and judge the cause. I was first diagnosed during a CBT session, long before I went through neuropsych testing. The one is not more legitimate than the other, as far as I can tell.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 4:46 pm

I'm thinking about just counting the fact multiple therapists I've had over the years have said it including times I didn't mention it first, a couple doctors said they suspected it but didn't give me a dx because they said it wouldnt change my treatment plan or it was an inpatient setting and they told me they don't diagnose that inpatient.

Oh and the fact my social skills were so bad as a child I went through therapy, I stim, I memorized bird and other field guides as a child and I've been obsessed over other things too like Sonic the Hedgehog. And the meltdowns.... About only thing that doesn't fit is that my eye contact is fairly normal in fact I have a tendency to stare.

But the bipolar is real and is what the doctors always focus on. Bipolar isn't fun, combined with the overall immaturity of my emotions.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 5:07 pm

What are you looking for that an official diagnosis can give you that all these unofficial diagnoses cannot?

I think you have more than enough "unofficial" diagnoses from professionals to be confident that you are autistic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 5:40 pm

It takes a significant amount of work to produce an official diagnoses and anyone who does that wants to get paid.

tentoedsloth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2018, 9:32 pm

At least people without an official diagnosis but who identify with what people on this forum are saying, are welcomed.

Adult son officially diagnosed with Asperger's (has a job and lives alone in an apartment), and I have some symptoms, but I now think I don't really "have it," so disregard any of my posts where that matters.