Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2018, 9:25 am

Regarding family or close friends, were you/are you clingy? I had bad separation anxiety as a kid to the point where I would scream and cry in school, and the few friends I had through the years often described me as “clingy” and “annoying” towards them. I never understood why they would say that, especially since i was never physically clinging to them. I only did that with my mom. Do any of you have similar experiences? Or were you more passive as a kid?

Last edited by KingExplosionMurder on 04 Dec 2018, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 9:40 am

I'm 28 years old and I'm still a clingy child. :lol:

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2018, 9:54 am

I would call myself one. I don't know what my family or friends would say, however.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 10:01 am

As a child, I did not cling on to anyone. I was more of a Human-Vulcan hybrid.

("You want to hug me? Why? That makes no sense.")

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 10:03 am

I was pretty much the same way as Fnord.

I was a very independent child. I didn't even like hanging out with my parents (from a VERY young age). I didn't like being hugged too much.

When I went away to sleepaway camp at age 7, I might have been homesick for one night----but that was it.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2018, 11:38 am

Same as Fnord here too. The only things I clung to were my Star Wars cards!

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 11:48 am

i'm a clingy adult who's starved of physical contact

so you better believe i'm losing it.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 12:01 pm

I couldn't cope with pre-school, cried for my mother the whole time. When I started school I had to sit on the teachers knee during assembly because I wouldn't sit among a crowd of other children without having a meltdown. From 6 onwards however I'd just shut down if I was in a situation I wasn't comfortable with and never cried or had meltdowns again.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 12:05 pm

Heck no.
I avoided interacting with even my own parents as much as I reasonably could.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2018, 12:32 pm

lostproperty wrote:
I couldn't cope with pre-school, cried for my mother the whole time. When I started school I had to sit on the teachers knee during assembly because I wouldn't sit among a crowd of other children without having a meltdown. From 6 onwards however I'd just shut down if I was in a situation I wasn't comfortable with and never cried or had meltdowns again.

wow, I can relate. It got so bad at one point that my teacher had to give me a stuffed animal to use during the school day.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 12:46 pm

Yes I was. When I was 11 I went away on camp for 5 days with the school and I was incredibly home sick the whole time. I got emotional at any little thing because I felt bewildered.

I remember being clingy with my mother at 14. One time when we were at a fete two girls from my class came up to me and had a chat. I chatted back but then she went. My mum got annoyed with me (because I was acting all demanding) and she sighed, "I wish you'd go off", meaning she wished I would hang out with other girls my age.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 9:24 pm

Not in a sense that I'm, but more like I felt like it.

Doesn't help that I was a tactile sensory seeker as a child. Sure, such gestures may see me as clingy and affectionate. :lol: Especially towards my parents. But I'm heck sure I'm fulfilled with physical contact as a child, then lasts for who knows how long. Likely for the rest of my life.
In certain states, even at this present, if I'm seriously sick or hurt in any form while I seriously couldn't take it, I certainly am clingy to whoever best could ground me. Although I can handle myself alone just fine.

But emotionally speaking, not very much.
Jealous-clingy? Not really. As a child I may get jealous yes, but not clingy.
I don't drag people around or endlessly follow anyone. At all.
Worried-clingy? While I did had a fear and worry of getting lost and separated to unknown places, as long as I was somewhere familiar, my parents or anyone who was babysitting me could go roam themselves free for all I care.
I'm not very attached to a person or a thing either, unless you count a child's concept of ownership and consequent selfishness.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 11:02 pm

I've always been withdrawn.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 2:46 am

There was a big world to discover that was more interesting than the parents.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 3:02 am

I have always had a close and very good relationship with my mother and my grandparents (bit less so with my father), but I don't think I was clingy. I would (and do) space out and go off into my mindscape as needed/ necessary. Sometimes I'd go to my room because I wanted to be alone. I wasn't an affectionate kid and was only okay with so much physical affection. It was easier when I was little but became more awkward as I got older. Wasn't good with emotional intimacy either.
But I loved them just the same and felt loved and secure with them, it had no negative affect on my feelings for them.
I know my grandmother was bothered by my trying to avoid hugs.
(these days I am able to hug my mother and tell her I love her, but I haven't hugged my father since I was a little kid and we aren't all that close).

I definitely wasn't clingy with other kids. I preferred to play alone or with family members, be around my pets, read, draw, daydream... I never initiated or desired interaction with other kids, and when I did interact with them, I certainly wasn't clingy. There were times when I felt other kids were clingy and I hated it and felt desperate to get away from them.
I was and am aloof

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2018, 9:31 pm

I was never close to my mom. I don’t think I ever bonded with her. I was always happiest when people just left me alone. I think I’m the opposite of clingy. All of my boyfriends have been very obsessive about their own interests. I don’t think I could be with someone that always wanted my attention.