I think in images 37%  37%  [ 28 ]
I think in sensations 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
I think in a different way than the above 16%  16%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 75

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 8:10 pm

Images, emotion, sensation, rhythm. The only possible way I can convert to thinking in words is to visualize an imaginary situation where I'm having a conversation with someone else.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 8:23 pm

Most of my actual thinking is unconscious and the resolution pops out unexpectedly. I can make an effort to use words and/or pictures and/or emotions, but these things do not qualify as actual thoughts, they are more like things out there that I notice.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 8:26 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Erratically.

Pictures, words, exploded views, webs, trails, tangents and black holes.

Einstein-Rosen bridges :D

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2018, 10:15 pm

All 4, at the same time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 12:14 am

I think in images most of the time. Sometimes, I think in words and emotions.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2018, 11:12 am

Gallia wrote:
strings wrote:
Gallia wrote:
how do you decipher words without the visuals? this is very interesting.

What visuals? I'm not sure really what you mean by that.

i meant the mental images

Oh, OK. I don't really know how to answer, except that words have meaning to me without the need to conjure up mental images, which I can't do.

I think there may be some evidence that although aphantasia (which is what I have) means one cannot consciously summon up mental imagery, it may, at least for some aphantasiacs, exist somewhere in the subconscious mind. For example, although I have no ability to summon up imagery of objects or people I know, I do nevertheless have some rather hard-to-define "knowledge of what they look like." And I think I do see imagery in dreams.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 11:47 am

I would say that I have a vivid imagination, I spend a good portion of my time daydreaming but it's of no practical use.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2018, 1:34 pm

I think in a mix of both images and words. My problem is that when I get stressed, my thinking becomes 100% visual. The images never come in the correct order for speaking, and sometimes I can't find the word for the image.

As an example, a "school bus" might translate into a big yellow TRUCK, with lots of windows, and kids and a bus driver. I can see all of the things that represent the school bus, but the only word that comes to my mind is "TRUCK."

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 1:38 pm

lostproperty wrote:
I would say that I have a vivid imagination, I spend a good portion of my time daydreaming but it's of no practical use.

When you are daydreaming do you tell yourself stories in words, or are you imagining it as in watching a movie in your head? I used to daydream a lot. It was like a movie, but seen from my perspective. For me, it was a melodrama in which people realized how much value I had. :oops: I don't think I felt very valued as a child. :( This was not necessarily anyone's fault. It was probably more the aspieness of my brain in a time when aspieness was unknown.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 5:45 pm

How many nations does Europe have?

I can visualize a map of the Cold War era Europe in my head, and then count them accurately from my mental picture.
I stumble a little with modern Europe, and all of those new countries made from the fragments of the Soviet Union, and Yugoslavia. But I can come pretty close.

Same with Africa, and states of the US.

The picture comes first, and the counting second, and done from the mental picture. So that would be an example of visual thinking.

Someone else might memorize an alphabetical list of countries on a continent.

Am better with two dimensions than three though. Some folks can visualize car engines, or molecules.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 8:46 pm

Anything but verbal.

I won't do well if verbal is thrown into the mix.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2018, 9:57 pm

strings wrote:
I think there may be some evidence that although aphantasia (which is what I have) means one cannot consciously summon up mental imagery, it may, at least for some aphantasiacs, exist somewhere in the subconscious mind. For example, although I have no ability to summon up imagery of objects or people I know, I do nevertheless have some rather hard-to-define "knowledge of what they look like." And I think I do see imagery in dreams.

Here's a question, can you conjure things like scents or sounds? I've taught visualization to a lot of people and some people who can't do images can do emotions or other senses.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 12:16 am

I think in words, and quite literally can't think in images.

I'm pretty sure I've got aphantasia (described here: https://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com ... tasia.html).

It's interesting - I actually went through 37 years of life not knowing that other people could close their eyes and see pictures. I can close my eyes and think about something, but I won't actually see what I'm thinking about, and I thought it was the same for everyone.

Unlike my ASD (which is a professional diagnosis), my aphantasia is a self diagnosis.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 12:42 am

Quote:
How Do You Think?

עם המוח שלי

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 7:33 am

blazingstar wrote:

When you are daydreaming do you tell yourself stories in words, or are you imagining it as in watching a movie in your head? I used to daydream a lot. It was like a movie, but seen from my perspective.

Yes, I'm the same, a movie but from looking out of my own eyes. I usually find myself going back to school days and re-enacting certain scenarios in my head but in an NT way, to correct where I went went wrong as an Aspie.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2018, 10:22 am

puzzledoll wrote:
Here's a question, can you conjure things like scents or sounds? I've taught visualization to a lot of people and some people who can't do images can do emotions or other senses.

Hard for me to answer, because I'm not really sure what is meant by conjuring up a scent or a sound in my mind. It was quite a long time after I first read about aphantasia before I could really accept that when people spoke of "seeing images in their minds" they literally meant it. (Since I had no conception of what it meant, and I just assumed that people were wildly exaggerating when they said they could see images!)

So similarly, I'm not sure what it means to conjure up a sound, or a scent, in one's mind. Obviously (at least to me it is obvious!), I don't actually hear a sound, or smell a smell. I can imagine a piano concerto that I am familiar with, and I "know" how it sounds. But a certainly don't "hear" anything as I run through it in my mind. So I don't know whether that would count as conjuring it up in my mind, in the sense you mean.