08 Dec 2018, 7:32 am

My shrink just sent me this:
what guarantees unhappiness

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 10:18 am

This is a good list.

What do they mean by living as a "non-failure?" Does this have to do with perfectionism?

I agree on the part about "there's always time." Sometimes, there isn't. I saw myself go from being a child to a middle-aged woman without really growing up in between, except to get my education, which only led to an accumulation of facts, not anything productive. I hope to change that before it's too late.

Many items on this list could have an opposite extreme as well. The opposite of complete self-censorship could be someone who has no filter between brain to mouth. That doesn't seem like a good thing, either.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Dec 2018, 5:06 pm

I don't agree with number 8. I've been living in a daydream my whole life & that makes me happy/happier. Sometimes we really need to escape reality for our own mental health.
I don't really agree with 21 either. Lots of us on the spectrum NEED to push against the natural flow of things in order for us to be our true selves instead of putting on a facade or buying into mainstream media & other things on that list.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 5:14 pm

nick007 wrote:
I don't agree with number 8. I've been living in a daydream my whole life & that makes me happy/happier. Sometimes we really need to escape reality for our own mental health.

I think what guarantees unhappiness is if the daydream becomes more important than real life. I agree with you completely that escape is essential, especially when life is hard.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 5:21 pm

I disagree with like half of it.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 5:38 pm

overthinking is number 1 enemy of happiness

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 6:14 pm

nick007 wrote:

Same here.
i don't plan on waking up anytime soon either.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 7:02 pm

There is one important thing missing. Thinking to much about negative things that you can't even change. Even the smallest negative things become bigger and bigger within your imagination then. It's a thing that makes people depressive. :)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 7:58 pm

Sounds like something for normal people. I can be happy shopping for clothes online with a cat in my lap! :D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 1:37 am

While some are accurate, some are highly inaccurate for me, and just reaffirms my notion that psychology is based on NTs and could very well have the opposite effect on (some of) us.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran