Do those of you living with parents in late 20s+ consider?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 10:00 am

From where I live, it's very different.
Living with parents at age 40+, even with high pay job, married and with children -- heck, with grandchildren, is no surprise.
Sure, even said successful child could move out alright -- and be their parents' neighbor.

Having to live with parents doesn't have to involve the child lacking independence or even capacity.
It's usually the other way around here; the children who gets to stay with their parents takes care of their elderly parents, grandparents, and the disabled in the household.
And this is the role I'd voluntarily take, socially expected or not. This is pretty much my 'next step' at all.

If my parents are no longer here? I plan to move out far, far away alone. That's all I know so far. If I cannot do that, then I volunteer to take care the closest elderly relatives, along with those who had been taking care of them. Or move in with my sister, solely for the sake of making others stop worrying about me.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 11:44 am

sly279 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
I look at job websites to see what's out there. That's why I've had so many jobs and gained so much experience, because I've kept my eyes open for new opportunities and applied when I've seen something better come along. I don't always get what I've applied for, but I just keep on applying and I get something eventually.

Yes I know I have an IT qualification. But my point is I'm always looking for the next opportunity. I don't stagnate.

First to the a you’re earlier post there are driving schools
I took driving school as my family wouldn’t teach me

I can only work 16 hours a week, no one is going hire me , my current job wouldn’t have hired me and they’d fire me in a second if I wasn’t disabled and have a official ada accomdation. If they fire me they’d be sued and lose. They’d get fined also.
So they keep me working and made a fake position for me :( but atleast I’m working something right?

How many jobs have you applied for? Or you just assuming?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 10:14 am

I have been consistently looking for ways to better my situation, employment wise. So far, I haven't been successful in terms of upward mobility, but I keep trying. I wonder, however, if I need to use a different tactic.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 10:36 am

You might try a smaller company which is more flexible with regard for hiring and promoting decisions. Where I work we have the usual data entry and sales positions. But, we do promote people if they can demonstrate solid writing writing skills. One lady started at the bottom and moved to one of top positions. She no longer works in a cubical and now works in her own office. We have to do this because our pay doesn't look that great. Though it isn't that bad if you factor in the benefits package.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 7:13 pm

hurtloam wrote:
sly279 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
I look at job websites to see what's out there. That's why I've had so many jobs and gained so much experience, because I've kept my eyes open for new opportunities and applied when I've seen something better come along. I don't always get what I've applied for, but I just keep on applying and I get something eventually.

Yes I know I have an IT qualification. But my point is I'm always looking for the next opportunity. I don't stagnate.

First to the a you’re earlier post there are driving schools
I took driving school as my family wouldn’t teach me

I can only work 16 hours a week, no one is going hire me , my current job wouldn’t have hired me and they’d fire me in a second if I wasn’t disabled and have a official ada accomdation. If they fire me they’d be sued and lose. They’d get fined also.
So they keep me working and made a fake position for me :( but atleast I’m working something right?

How many jobs have you applied for? Or you just assuming?

The gov after 3 years almost gave up on my I got this job right before they were going to. I almost lost this job cause they don’t want people who can’t work 38 hours a week.
The got mad at me and I had to get an official accommodation.
I can guarantee you no one who wants a full time employee is going give me time of day after I tell them I can’t work over 16 hours a week. It’s just not worth their time interviewing me, training me and doing all the paperwork. So besides looking at jobs once and a while no. They wal want someone who can work full time and has experience it just makes sense to them. Imagine you own a company would you hire someone who can work 16 hours a week which means you’ll have to hire two people instead of one as your need another person to cover the other 24 hours a week and that’ll be hard as most people want 40 hours.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 7:15 pm

BTDT wrote:
You might try a smaller company which is more flexible with regard for hiring and promoting decisions. Where I work we have the usual data entry and sales positions. But, we do promote people if they can demonstrate solid writing writing skills. One lady started at the bottom and moved to one of top positions. She no longer works in a cubical and now works in her own office. We have to do this because our pay doesn't look that great. Though it isn't that bad if you factor in the benefits package.

Why would they hire two part time people be one full time person?
I wouldn’t .
Also a small business wouldn’t be good as they don’t have to obey the ADA. They can discriminate all they want.
I also have no experience in anything other then retail :(

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 8:03 pm

Two part timers can be cheaper if they don't have to pay for health insurance and other benefits they pay full timers.

Being able to write professionally is a special skill that most people don't have. A professional meets deadlines with correctly written copy.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 5:13 am

Autism is a developmental delay and even though I work harder than most people I know, certainly most people my age (I don't do holidays or take time off), my lines of work don't pay. I tried the conventional way and I had a breakdown.

Financially I'm super lucky as an only child. We have a holiday house which we rent out and will have its mortgage paid off in five years, so then I'll have a house of my own. I'm very grateful for this gift. Being middle class helps a lot.

In terms of the sort of life skills you need to live alone, I'm already developing them. It might not always look like gourmet cooking but I do make my own meals, clean up after myself, do my own (and the family) laundry etc.

Most of my benefit at the moment goes to rent or food so it's not like I'm acting like a kid. I'm a lodger. It just happens that my mother is my landlady.

Not even sure you're including me in this, since you said 'if mental disabilities hold you back' but you're on an autism forum so I don't think you're including autism in that. I'm also held back by social anxiety (a real diagnosis not some excuse).

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 5:34 am

sly279 wrote:
BTDT wrote:

Why would they hire two part time people be one full time person?
I wouldn’t .
Also a small business wouldn’t be good as they don’t have to obey the ADA. They can discriminate all they want.
I also have no experience in anything other then retail :(

Where I live a lot of companies offer job share options. Even if you are in full time work you have the legal right to request the post be turned into a job share post.

A small business could be great. You don't know. You're just assuming they would fire you.

Stop assuming the worst!

Yeah, dont apply for full time work and then demand to go part time because of disability. Thats an unfair bait and switch. I'd be mad at someone if they did thag to me. There are such things as part time jobs. Check at least once a week in the job ads.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 2:09 pm

I’m 28 and moved into a studio flat in September.

However, I quit my job in October and as a consequence I’m struggling somewhat with my finances.

Whilst I welcome the opportunity to have my own space, I do find that I’m spending about 70% of my time back at my mother’s house. I’m finding that I become rather bored in my tiny flat and unfortunately my two degus aren't as sociable as my mother’s dog.

However, if I were to return to my mother’s, I fear that I would stay there for the foreseeable future.

It’s difficult for me to discern what I want out of life. I’ve become rather withdrawn and ‘burnt out’ after spending the past few years trying to masquerade as a NT. It’s truly draining.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 5:22 pm

I was just thinking how difficult it would be for me to do certain things if I found myself completely alone. I think of all the things others do easily, and it seems overwhelming. But then, years ago, I couldn't imagine myself functioning even as well as I do now.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 12:52 pm

This is intensely embarrassing, but I currently share an apartment with my mom, until I'm able to find work in a nearby territory;which, in fact there are several places that I find more appealing as well, I've lived on my own several years ago, just medical health issues resulted in my current situation, though at this juncture, I now have that under better management. I feel every single autistic person has her/her own difficulties either in the past or present in terms of living situations, yet nothing is permanent.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 2:16 pm

A 1 bedroom apartment is $1137 / month where I live. I make $1400/month in disability. I pay over $300/month in meds. I would need money for food and utilities on top of that. That is on top of having autism and being chronically ill. Wait lists for subsidized housing were 3 to 5 years prior to the housing crisis, I cant imagine how long the wait lists are now. I don't expect to outlive my parents anyway. You may call it "excuses" I call it "reasons" why I am not independent.

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2018, 2:52 pm

I currently live with a couple who are parent like figures to me (long story short they're my late fiance's parents) I have an apartment I'm in the process of moving into (we're taking it slow, I stay a few nights a week) the idea of moving out completely kind of terrifies me, mostly because of the large change in routine but I know it has to be done someday. My current boyfriend would love for us to live together and I'd like to make that happen for him sometime in the near future.

It is somewhat embarrassing, being 27 and not feeling comfortable living on my own. Then again I rarely feel like I'm 27.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2018, 2:56 pm

Well its hard to move out if you have no job, and no income, and even if you have a low income it would be still hard. But what if you are unable to get a job?

Hsingai
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2018, 3:47 am

I can't legally manage my own finances so being independent is impossible for me. I leaved for 1~2 years by myself but was to lonely. When my mom dies I'll probably move in with my aunt or with my brothers family if my Fiance hasn't gotten her comic published and making enough for us to move in together. Worst case I go back to an assisted living home.