What would you do if your front door had its glass smashed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Planetarium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2018, 12:08 am

This selfish conservative council people keep voting for despite threatening libraries with closure etc. built some stupid huge pot just in front of my residence that somehow all children nearby agree is perfect as a goal post, so for years now I've been subjected to a barrage of testosterone, until recently it was just smashed through, probably with one of their kicks, but it could be intentional too since I had just taken their ball after smashing it on the gates. I'm so fed up. Now the door doesn't exactly belong to me personally, so my annoyance only goes so far as to feel like there was an inherent threat in the act, but I can't believe the owners won't do anything except to fix it (likely insured, so they probably don't care if it gets broken in the future either, but that is nonsense logic and I assume the insurance companies wouldn't like it if they looked at the situation and premiums are likely to increase)...

Now that is nothing, because... what if my bedroom window is smashed through? Do I freeze to death before it's fixed? And if fixed it can easily happen again.

But nevermind, conservatives surely know how to irresponsibly build sh***y parks only to later claim they wasted all their funds doing that and so can't fix some things not thought through. Okay, maybe not quite as bad as the southern states where mothers actually vote for people in the hopes their own child is groomed by them, because f**k cares eh. But when it comes to breaking things that were fine before (one solitary year I spent without any outrageous nonsense nearby)... all cons everywhere have such expertise! (To 'conserve'? Give me a break...)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 2:06 am

Get a screen for it.

Planetarium
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2018, 1:17 pm

What screen?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Dec 2018, 1:21 pm

A security gate can also work if you an afford it.

Maybe in combination with a screen door.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 3:56 pm

I would change my door to one that doesnt have glass.

You could also put some netting made of strong wires to protect the glass.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2018, 6:59 pm

Doors are available which have tempered glass which will do a better job of holding up to such things. You probably don't want a solid door and lose the daylight. So you can get doors which have a window but segmented so that a kicked ball would have a tough time hitting only the glass but just impact solid parts of the door.

For example (this door I don't find particularly attractive, it's just an example);

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 7:07 pm

Planetarium wrote:
What screen?

A security screen.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 8:02 pm

I guess I don't relate to your rant. There are several potential solutions to this type of problem. But it is not alway someone else's responsibility to fix it.

For example

Planetarium wrote:
This selfish conservative council people keep voting for despite threatening libraries with closure etc. built some stupid huge pot just in front of my residence.

Well if it was such a nuisance, you just might give it back to the council and explain that it is being used as a goalpost by the neighbor kids. And that they should move it elsewhere because you don't want it.

For example
Planetarium wrote:
until recently it was just smashed through, probably with one of their kicks, but it could be intentional too since I had just taken their ball after smashing it on the gates.
Might not take the ball next time and keep it.

If I had fears that the door or my windows might be smashed in the future, I would fix the problem. I could replace the glass with a sheet of unbreakable glass [a thick sheet of clear polycarbonate] or I would install security bars on the windows and an external security doors. But if you lack the wherewithal to make these corrections, perhaps you could pay for these changes yourself or get someone else to pay for these modifications.

It sounds like you do not live in your own house. But the unit is owned by someone else. So if you make any modifications make sure that you get the landlord or owner's approval before you make any changes.

Or you might move to a quieter place, maybe out in the country somewhere.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 1:22 pm

I'm guessing you are liv8ng in a council house I.e. you don't own it and the council is your landlord. I'm guessing you can't afford a new door.

They won't fix it or replace it unless it actually gets smashed unfortunately.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 2:37 pm

Wonder what kind of genius put in the effort to break the lens in my peephole. And if they continue along that path, I'd introduce them to Zola. She's an italian beauty with a nice shapely butt and a voice best described as thunderous.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 12:05 am

How about trying to arrange for another location that is more fun for kicking balls? If you can't have the current target removed, you might still have it abandoned for another one. I have also seen security bars with spikes that ruin soccer balls, although I would only want to hang those above ground level.