What do the different levels of autism mean?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 10:02 am

I remember to brush my teeth because of the bad taste in my mouth when I wake up.

I'm thinking that some people with autism have difficulty discerning the "bad taste" in the mouth for (perhaps) neurological reasons.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2019, 10:54 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Here's what confuses me about this post:

You seem fairly articulate and you know how to type and post on an Internet forum. Yet, you say you need "help" brushing your teeth.

Typing and posting is slightly more complicated that brushing teeth, how are you able to do one with no problem but not the other? Unless you're saying you need to be reminded to brush your teeth.

It takes me a while to type out replies. Also I really dislike the feeling of toothpaste and toothbrush bristles. It hurts. My mouth is really sensitive in some areas.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 12:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I remember to brush my teeth because of the bad taste in my mouth when I wake up.

I'm thinking that some people with autism have difficulty discerning the "bad taste" in the mouth for (perhaps) neurological reasons.

I would say so. Especially since it's a daily sensation. Also always being absorbed in whatever. I have a bad habit of opening my window in the winter when I'm not wearing much and then not noticing that I'm turning into an ice cube. Sometimes hunger and thirst doesn't registered. Even needing to go to pee can fail to register.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 12:27 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

You seem fairly articulate and you know how to type and post on an Internet forum. Yet, you say you need "help" brushing your teeth.

Typing and posting is slightly more complicated that brushing teeth, how are you able to do one with no problem but not the other? Unless you're saying you need to be reminded to brush your teeth.

This is a very important issue with autism. You can be a genius in one area and a total failure in another. Many people don't get this.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 12:31 pm

BTDT wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

This is a very important issue with autism. You can be a genius in one area and a total failure in another. Many people don't get this.

My writing skill is (or was when I was younger) above average. Other skills are below to way below average.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2019, 6:26 pm

EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I would say so. Especially since it's a daily sensation. Also always being absorbed in whatever. I have a bad habit of opening my window in the winter when I'm not wearing much and then not noticing that I'm turning into an ice cube. Sometimes hunger and thirst doesn't registered. Even needing to go to pee can fail to register.

I have the same experiences. I will forget to eat. I also forget to drink water. I have a lot of other sensory issues

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 7:08 pm

BTDT wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

^^^^
This

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2019, 3:39 am

EzraS wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I can break it down in a cynical way. I would gladly trade being level 2 for level 1. Whereas I seriously doubt any level 1 person would want to trade places with me.

What's it like being Level 2? What does Level 2 even mean?

And are these "negative numbers"? Level 2 is actually lower than Level 1, etc.?

The higher the number the higher the level of severity. I started out as a 3. But by around age 8 started displaying less severity so I was reclassified as level 2 moderate.

Being a level 2 for me means that I need a lot of support for everyday things. Think of something you can't do that others can do. Like juggling or playing a piano or advanced mathematics etc. Whatever you can't master. What's impossible or very difficult for you, is very easy for others. There are many things I just can't get a handle on. The connection just isn't there. Most of the level 2's I have come across here and irl seem to have similar difficulties and needs. Some can do stuff I can not and vice versa. But still overall seem basically the same.

I need help getting dressed, shaving (which is why I have a beard). Preparing meals. Remembering to do things outside of my routine. Learning new things. Doing anything different. Going places. Socially I am withdrawn and aloof. When someone is talking to me I don't look at them, I look at stuff around me. I am a flight risk meaning I will wander off and get lost. So there has to always be someone in the house and someone with me wherever I go. I have sensory shutdowns and meltdowns. I am not even self-aware of some of this stuff. I know about it from others describing my behavior.

I need help with a lot of different things to remembering things getting dressed for the different weather things getting change for thingd when I go on the bus with my aunt getting out of sticky situations Etc.

Even though I may have a lower IQ I’m not sure because my IQ test didn’t come back yet and I’ve been through some trauma although I did take a vocational assessment and they said my beta IQ was 65 .

I also have a routine I made it myself i’m trying not to get frustrated at myself if I don’t do it correctly

I like to walk around pace and sometimes jump up and down and flap

I go to special-needs programming and summer camps

But I still graduated with the Reagan’s diploma

I have also been diagnosed with level two but I have ADHD .

Are used to be up obsesses with my little pony and have a teddy bear that I took with me everywhere he even had a little graduation outfit.

Unfortunately he was lost in translation witch made verry sad .

I’m trying to be more independent now I take showers and wash my hair and my own now sometimes I dress myself / pick out my clothes depending on whether or not I understand whether to be cold outside or if I feel warm but I have to go outside when it’s cold.

Sometimes I find it more warm outside then cold and I got a cold because of it .

Now I’m trying to make things or myself although I can only make vegetables and soup and tea .

I am also trying to get into some sort of work or college program or both.

My social workers are trying to get me into this program called Jawonio

[url=Jawonio]https://jawonio.org[/url]

And I’m trying to get into this program called in Impact u in concordia college

[url=Impact u]https://www.concordia-ny.edu/admission/impactu[/url]

I wanted to go to a program inAlbany originally but I was too far away for me

I still am trying to get into the Special Olympics through a program called project friendship i’m trying to see how that goes .

Are used to run for Achilles and I’m going to return most likely in May or April.

I speak OK sometimes other times I’m nonverbal nowadays . I have a Lotta shut downs and some meltdowns. But meltdowns for me are rare it’s mostly shut downs. I usespeech to text to type.