What do you call verbal past memory recall?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 2:12 pm

Hi I have a 3.5 year old with ASD, he has a fairly good vocabulary and never had a speech delay appart from echolalia. Fortunately he is able to express most of his basic needs verbally.

Ask him what he did today though, or something in the past and you may as well be speaking another language.

A typical child may say I went to the park I went on the slide etc…

My question, what do you call this kind of thing? Working memory? Verbal Memory recall and any ideas or links on how to strengthen it?

- George Bernie Shaw

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 5:54 pm

After reading your description, I can't tell what his actual problem is.

Is he not saying anything in response to these kinds of questions? Is he trying to respond, but unable to remember? Can he remember and respond, but not in words? Is he using the wrong words?

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 6:08 pm

Working memory is what you use while following a process: remembering steps 3, 4, and 5 while you are still on step 2, for example.

Verbal memory affects your ability to remember lists of words, not just sequence of events.

Episodic memory is something you may want to look into. That affects remembering sequence of events that happened to you.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 6:12 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Hi I have a 3.5 year old with ASD, he has a fairly good vocabulary and never had a speech delay appart from echolalia. Fortunately he is able to express most of his basic needs verbally.

Ask him what he did today though, or something in the past and you may as well be speaking another language.

A typical child may say I went to the park I went on the slide etc…

My question, what do you call this kind of thing? Working memory? Verbal Memory recall and any ideas or links on how to strengthen it?

Not clear what you are saying. Are you saying that he doesn't remember what he did that day? Or does, but cant put it into words?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 2:23 am

Hi from the replies im referring to Episodic memory, thanks for that K. (Sorry im using my mobile i cant copy and paste both the spelling of your name and the word)

Is this a common autism trait and what sort of therapy deals with this?

- George Bernie Shaw

traven
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 2:46 am

hi :twisted: from another galaxy, three and a half and you want therapy ??

find a book to read him and make the story about past events recalling and telling
you can build that skill yourself :scratch:
and you can/shall be the example, tell what you've been doing when you were away (for work or anything)

:shrug:
things don't come out of the air, copying is the way, even if its delayed