Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 4:09 pm

I was thinking "none" but that's more fun.
It reminds me of another time when I'd gone to a community meeting, and we had each introduced ourselves briefly. Afterwards, the woman who was starting a magazine asked if she could interview me on my main project. We decided to take care of it right away, by heading to the nearest public table in the pub next door. There, it was time for a bit more introduction, and this was not long after the Club of Rome had done their sums and found that if the developing world did raise themselves to driving Fiats, etc., we'd need another planet to keep everything going. So, wanting to identify herself with the Deep Ecology movement, she just said "I think that there has to be a reduction in population."
I let that sit until it was fully ripe, and then leaned forward to confide "Well, yes, I have a Little List myself."
She almost fell off her chair.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2019, 2:35 pm

The bin bags we get are useless. The tops are always sealed.

But it is alright. If you turn them upside down, the bottom is always unsealed. 8O :roll:

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 8:37 pm

Confession: I only "get" about half of the jokes people have posted so far.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:28 pm

At first I thought it said, Bedpan Humor

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:44 pm

Hah!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 7:01 am

Deadpan humour is a weird one for me. When I "get" it, I find it one of the funniest kinds, and like to (try to) use it myself. But at the same time, I often don't "get" it, or people don't "get" my attempts. It seems to be one of those where you really need to know how the other person ticks to make it work. I had a friend who could have me engrossed in his shaggy dog stories for half an hour or more, getting ever more ridiculous as it went on, without me having the slightest inkling that he was pulling my leg (at the time, neither of us had any idea that we would both later be diagnosed autistic!)

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2019, 8:19 am

BeaArthur wrote:
I have a "style" of humor that many NTs and I'm sure many ND people cannot discern as humor. I will say something so patently absurd that I figure anyone ought to know I am kidding - but I'll do that with a completely straight face.

I do that more often than not. There are two side effects to that kind of humour, in my case. One, people who don't know me never get it's a joke. Two, people who know me very well tend to think I'm just kidding all the time. For some reason though I can't help it. That's how I do humour. It's absurd, totally incoherent, exaggerated, creative albeit said as if that's the most trivial thing.

I don't think being like that should be regarded as sort of a crime.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 8:30 am

I went to visit my friend one evening, and as I was getting settled, his big German Shepherd came sleepily out to smell my shoes. "My watchdog" Don remarked, and I'm still chuckling. We both knew that the dog had recognized my car.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 9:17 am

Trogluddite wrote:
Deadpan humour is a weird one for me. When I "get" it, I find it one of the funniest kinds, and like to (try to) use it myself. But at the same time, I often don't "get" it, or people don't "get" my attempts. It seems to be one of those where you really need to know how the other person ticks to make it work. I had a friend who could have me engrossed in his shaggy dog stories for half an hour or more, getting ever more ridiculous as it went on, without me having the slightest inkling that he was pulling my leg (at the time, neither of us had any idea that we would both later be diagnosed autistic!)

My husband does this sometimes. I can tell by his tone of voice. I call it his "bulls#!t tone of voice" and he just chuckles. That's if I am the audience. If someone else is, I just stay quiet and watch him do his delivery.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 9:43 am

I'm not subtle enough to truly have the ability to convey "deadpan" humor.

Even when I'm attempting to be subtle, it doesn't come out quite right.

Leonia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2019, 9:21 am

Yes, I use it a lot, and chances are most people don't get it.

My three NT kids have explained to me that even they don't always know whether I'm serious or not.

By the way, hi I'm new, this is my first post.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 9:33 am

Leonia wrote:
Yes, I use it a lot, and chances are most people don't get it.

My three NT kids have explained to me that even they don't always know whether I'm serious or not.

By the way, hi I'm new, this is my first post.

Welcome. To get many of my jokes, people have to think logically. I let my bike get rusty as a theft deterrent, but when people asked, I'd say it was to make it lighter. After ten years, one guy finally responded "Iron oxide is lighter than iron?" I congratulated him on being the first to get the joke, although it does flake off too.

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2019, 3:10 pm

My sense of humor would be a sensibility depicted by a hybrid of the movies Airplane and Blazing Saddles and the TV shows SCTV, The Larry Sanders Show and some garnish thrown in from Black Adder and Monty Python.