Should I Tell My Teachers About My ASD Diagnosis?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2019, 11:11 am

I was diagnosed Monday, April 8th, and I've been debating disclosing my diagnosis to my teachers since then.

The thing is, I have accommodations for social anxiety/selective mutism (this was before my diagnosis of ASD). And, I need them updated BECAUSE of my diagnosis, so they would find out either way.

But then again, autism and social anxiety are separate things, and, I feel my teachers should know why I might do things/have to leave class or something, since gaining new accommodations will take a while. so I am very much at odds with myself. I am genuinely considering it but I'm still quite unsure.

Does anybody have any experience with this type of situation? Do you think I should I disclose this information now or wait a while until I can get updated accommodations?

Lizbeth Ann
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2019, 3:35 pm

Depends on the reason(s) you want to share? Do you want her to understand you?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 5:10 pm

Personally I find it helpful to disclose my diagnosis to anyone with whom I'll be spending a lot of time, or who has power over me, such as a teacher or boss. It will enable your teachers to help you better, and to understand you more, if you tell them about the diagnosis and some of the relevant associated behaviours.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

enz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 5:15 pm

There unlikely to divulge your asperger's and also if you struggle with something they will probably get on board with that sooner if you told them

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 7:16 pm

I am a teacher, and I would say no. Most teachers don't understand autism at all, even sped teachers. A lot of teachers are as bad as anyone at making assumptions and buying into the negative stereotypes. The label might stop them from seeing you as an individual.

What I would do is use the diagnosis to clarify for yourself and to your teachers what you need. If you get overstimulated, tell the teacher you need quiet to focus. If you need time to process new information before being involved in a class conversation, talk to them about needing time to process. If they giving you a task without explaining the purpose, ask for the context. If you don't know how to pick a role in a group task, ask for an example. Keep it specific to the need or behavior, not the label.

If you have definite learning issues and need an IEP, you can still have an IEP without disclosing that you are autistic. Most of my students have a generic "speech and language disorder."

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 5:53 pm

Yes, but in some places it won't make a difference. Some teachers just don't care and won't do anything different.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 9:20 pm

The question is, which teacher

You can't lump them all together