Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tetreg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2019, 4:21 pm

In what I'm sure is an experience I have in common with at least some of you I have significant difficulty in making friends and thus live a fairly isolated lifestyle. While I can hardly say this is how I really want to live, most of the time I can cope with it. However, on a fairly regular basis, and especially when I am alone for a night I experience waves of depression which are very punishing experience. Does anyone else here have a similar experience and are there any good ways you've found of snapping out of this unpleasant mental state.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 4:42 pm

I use humour , memes and dark humour to try and snap me out of it

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 4:51 pm

When I was a lot younger and on my first set of antidepressants, I might be shopping in a store or some random thing and a wave of depression would come over me.

That was like 40 years ago. Nowadays I do get depression, but it's not such a discrete experience. It's more muted. Of course, I've been on antidepressants for many years, which I'm sure dampens down any negative mood states.

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2019, 6:29 pm

I definitely experience this. I've found the only thing is to ride with the wave. I watch something or listen to something that fits my mood. I've learnt that to fight it prolongs it but it does pass :(

I find I often need to have someone with me though. I've learnt that's just a necessity and not unreasonable. I know that's not possible for everyone, but I hope you can find someone.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 8:37 pm

I lead a pretty active life now. However, when I am alone and feel sad, I watch cat videos or read inspirational stories about Denis Istomin.